18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

75 points should be enough for the play offs. 33 points from a possible 51 shouldn't be beyond us if we can start playing like we were when we won at Derby, Boro and took a point at WBA. It will be if we continue our form of late.  

Edited by John

25 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Or they just realise the reverse fixtures were two of the most entertaining games of the season

Nope mons return against us they will obviously want him to do one over us

Sky have been waiting years for blosers to beat us at the sty

21 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

The question I’m trying to ask is why be so down in your own team?

How do you enjoy the game when you have no hope before the start?

As Villa fans we recently supported a side that was beaten before it started (2015) it was horrible....now we are in a lower division agreed but this team is far from hopeless.

Despite your arguments to the contrary we have a very good chance of promotion along with around 10 other teams...some of whom have a better chance than us and some of whom don’t but there are 17 games left...so the facts are not decided!

I repeat my previous statements, have you seen us play?

We are shit - 0 chance of being promoted this season.

Still miraculously only 4 points to 6th, however the gap to 5th has grown to 7 with Boro winning. They've dragged West Brom back too tho so it's also only 7 points to them.

Mini league now forming from West Brom in 4th down to Forest in 12th. With Jack fit, I still fancy us. If not we can forget about it as we're absolutely toothless without him.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

are we expecting Grealish back for the next match?

Apparently the Sheffield United game was the target for his return and he was meant to be well in target. 

6 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Apparently the Sheffield United game was the target for his return and he was meant to be well in target. 

oh Hallelujah! praised be! I don't think my faith is strong enough to withstand another game without Him in the starting eleven.

TBH i think we need another season to get our act together or else we'll be coming straight back down again even if by some weird miracle we did win the playoffs. Put this squad in the prem & they'd get slaughtered. Even with undoubted strengthening in the summer it would mean going in on a wing & a prayer hoping all the new players gelled in time which would be a huge ask in my opinion.

I am starting to think we actually need another year and another couple of windows to sort this squad and playing style out.

We know half the team will be off regardless.

Likely to leave due to contracts ending are a load of the current 1st team.

I feel DS needs a bit of time to build his team and knit them together before we have a chance of being competitive in the Prem & if we go up i really don't want to witness another year of embarrassment such as the last few we had up there. 

Lets be patient & get it right is my view.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

Posted this in the Dean Smith thread but possibly best suited here.

We just need to stay in touch of the play offs until Jack's back and we should still just about make it.

It's then it will really counts. Until then, we're 4 points off the play offs with 16 games to play.

Let's keep scrapping away folks.

• Like 1

I'd give the club a 0 out of 10 in terms of the January window and this is why were not going to push on now and get promoted.

Not impressed with Jesus and his disciples.

Midfield was not addressed, still completely transparent.  No Grealish = No impact on the game.

Wingers look like they can't be arsed, probably because one is out of contract in the summer and knows it won't be renewed and the other is only on loan so is probably using us as a vehicle to get fit and some game time so he can move on.

Fullbacks are just shite, can't understand why a LB was not targeted in the window as a priority, sending the RB back was a luxury we couldn't afford also when all we have in that position is Alan Hutton and Elmohamedy, hard working but extremely limited.

Mings the only positive from the window but then again who knows where he will be in the summer? We have no option to buy and this so called matching clause, i'm sure one of the newly promoted sides would be happy to take a punt on him and he'd rather play prem football and not be stuck in the championship so who cares if we match their bid.  

Edited by AshVilla

We are too slow and too old.

We rightly praise McGinn for his workrate, energy etc.

The promlem is other teams at the top have multiple players who get around the pitch like he does. For us he's the exception.

44 minutes ago, andym said:

We are too slow and too old.

We rightly praise McGinn for his workrate, energy etc.

The promlem is other teams at the top have multiple players who get around the pitch like he does. For us he's the exception.

I actually agree with you to some extent, as we really lack zip and energy in some games. I also think we've had a soft underbelly.  However, get Axel back next to Mings, Jack back next to McGinn and Abraham up top, that's one helluva spine in the Championship.  The keeper situation is also an upgrade now.  If we can have this spine fit during February and then the remainder of the season, then I believe a playoff spot is not out of reach.  

Granted, most of the rest in our squad are holding us back, but hopefully the above 5/6 players should be enough.  A positive result next Friday could kick start a run and I believe it will.    UTV