18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 hour ago, wedge said:

Yes, because chopping and changing managers more frequently than a lady of the night changes underwear has worked so well for us this past decade hasn't it!!

As stated this is the civilly pattern, not that I agree with it.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Don't think we will challenge for top 6 next season either.

Too many problems at this club.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Sadly I think this is the case. We need another rebuild which will take time and fans will get on smiths back then we get rid.rinse and repeat. The endless villa cycle.

Bloody hell you’re a right cheerful pair aren’t you!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No way!  I expect top 2. If Leeds and Norwich can both finish midtable and challenge the season later than so can we! 

I think it’s the beauty of the Championship, once the season begins it’s all to play for. Development of a good system and some astute signings over the summer and away you go. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Don't think we will challenge for top 6 next season either.

Too many problems at this club.

Too many problems at the club to finish top 6 and yet:

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If they decide to give DS more time top 6 next season is an absolute minimum, if not the club is too big for him and he need to go.

You're just trolling now. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No way!  I expect top 2. If Leeds and Norwich can both finish midtable and challenge the season later than so can we! 

I said and thought that last season about this season.

If we do not go up this season I doubt it will happen for a loooong time. Longer than another season imo.

52 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bloody hell you’re a right cheerful pair aren’t you!

They are both right though. If we fail to go up this season I don't think we will for a few years and the thought of that depresses the **** out of me.

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He has a valid point.

Maybe yes. And yet he still thinks Smith is a failure if he doesn't achieve it. 

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

Maybe yes. And yet he still thinks Smith is a failure if he doesn't achieve it. 

It won't be solely down to Smith though but the players too (of whom he'll have signed).

But I remain equally sceptical but not to the point of 'wanting' him to fail.

I'm not prepared to give up on the play offs mid January - I'm not convinced we will get there and until it's mathamatically not possible I will cling onto this.

Jack is still to come back and as worryingly that it's become - we are pretty much di@ked without him - that is the unfortunate reallity of the situation.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I'm not prepared to give up on the play offs mid January - I'm not convinced we will get there and until it's mathamatically not possible I will cling onto this.

Jack is still to come back and as worryingly that it's become - we are pretty much di@ked without him - that is the unfortunate reallity of the situation.

This is where I am. Can’t get with the doom and gloom and the constant we are shit posts just yet. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Have to agree, even after all the poor performances and results of late I won't give up just yet. Another thing, under Bruce even on our good days we could throw away games because of how defensive we were but under Smith we have actually wiped a couple of sides away completely which gives me a lot more confidence if we did reach the play offs that we could get through them. As we proved last year it doesn't matter if we finish 4th on 80 odd points or scrape that 6th place play off. 

• Like 2

We need one good run to be top 6, I think we have that in us, as long as we get Grealish and Tuanzebe back, maybe even the tissue paper Lansbury when fit might help too given that when we play McGinn in a 3,  we are realy only playing McGinn in midfield at the mo....

• Like 1

I mentioned on Facebook that in some strange way I actually think yesterday could very well be a turning point in our season.

While the result was disappointing in the end we started to show shunts of the things we were doing when he first came in.

Belief to come back and some decent passages of play.

I think Kalinic will grow in confidence, Hause will get ready and Dean will eventually get it right.

We need to remember it is a work in progress and so many variables and unexpected spanners have been thrown into the works he has had to do alot of thinking.

Still not sure if we will make top 6 though.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I mentioned on Facebook that in some strange way I actually think yesterday could very well be a turning point in our season.

While the result was disappointing in the end we started to show shunts of the things we were doing when he first came in.

Belief to come back and some decent passages of play.

I think Kalinic will grow in confidence, Hause will get ready and Dean will eventually get it right.

We need to remember it is a work in progress and so many variables and unexpected spanners have been thrown into the works he has had to do alot of thinking.

Still not sure if we will make top 6 though.

Second half was a lot more like his early games. We kept the pressure on and kept getting balls in to the box quickly. Play like the second half on Saturday and we should win comfortably.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

Have to agree, even after all the poor performances and results of late I won't give up just yet. Another thing, under Bruce even on our good days we could throw away games because of how defensive we were but under Smith we have actually wiped a couple of sides away completely which gives me a lot more confidence if we did reach the play offs that we could get through them. As we proved last year it doesn't matter if we finish 4th on 80 odd points or scrape that 6th place play off. 

We never actually conceded in a lead in the last 15 minutes last season. We had no problem holding on to leads. Our problem was if we didn’t take the lead we rarely got something out of the game.