18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

For what this potentially pointless fact is worth, we’re seven points off fourth, as it currently stands. Which is the same number of points we were off fourth before Smith took over.

Don’t know what to make of that, but there you go.

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

For what this potentially pointless fact is worth, we’re seven points off fourth, as it currently stands. Which is the same number of points we were off fourth before Smith took over.

And the same number of points when fans said we aren’t making playoffs (me included). Whilst it’s still in reach then there’s hope. 

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And the same number of points when fans said we aren’t making playoffs (me included). Whilst it’s still in reach then there’s hope. 

To be fair, right now, you'd expect this team to finish even further away from the play-offs. 

I like Smith but he's got to get his arse into gear and show that his frailties at his previous clubs are not going to be the norm at the Villa. If he doesn't, we won't be going up under his management!

Edited by villarocker

9 minutes ago, villarocker said:

To be fair, right now, you'd expect this team to finish even further away from the play-offs. 

I like Smith but he's got to get his arse into gear and show that his frailties at his previous clubs are not going to be the norm at the Villa. If he doesn't, we won't be going up under his management!

Well we finally kept a clean sheet at least! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We have struggled last few games against teams in the lower half - we have won one in 7 at villa park so with most of the top sides to come here I struggle to see us winning enough to make up that gap - too many draws have cost us dearly .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Tough month coming up,

Sheff Utd, Brentford, West Brom & Stoke.

Honestly can't see us winning any of these games and would be surprised if we even manage 3 points from the 4 games

We did rather better than we had anticipated the last time we had a tough run of games let's hope for a similar outcome this time.

I said before today's game that I thought 75 points would be enough for a play off place. That was 33 points from a possible 51 before we drew today. That has now become 32 from a possible 48. We need to win games to get near that figure and each result like this one makes the figure look increasingly unattainable. :(

Edited by John

the only way to motivate these bunch of mercs is if eden and the egyption put six figure bonus's on reaching the play off final to each player that plays 5 full 90mins between now and May.

If they make the payment in bitcoin it won't go through the books so financial fair play won't bum us.

This is the most crucial time in the clubs history.

get you skrilla out lads

Edited by screwdriver

It's over for this season.Some of the transfer business tells me  the owners want reduce the FFP penalties and concentrate on next year.

The loaning of Hogan to a promotion rival only makes sense if we don't care about this season and want to sell him in the summer.

The team is disjointed and is not going up this season.

Hopefully Smith can start to get in the players that are comfortable playing his style of football.Seeing Norwich v Leeds reinforces how slow and ponderos we are.There is going to be a huge clear out this summer and that could be a good thing.

7 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

It's over for this season.Some of the transfer business tells me  the owners want reduce the FFP penalties and concentrate on next year.

The loaning of Hogan to a promotion rival only makes sense if we don't care about this season and want to sell him in the summer.

The team is disjointed and is not going up this season.

Hopefully Smith can start to get in the players that are comfortable playing his style of football.Seeing Norwich v Leeds reinforces how slow and ponderos we are.There is going to be a huge clear out this summer and that could be a good thing.

The loaning of Hogan could just be a cunning plan to ensure Sheff U’s goals dry up. 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John said:

We did rather better than we had anticipated the last time we had a tough run of games let's hope for a similar outcome this time.

I said before today's game that I thought 75 points would be enough for a play off place. That was 33 points from a possible 51 before we drew today. That has now become 32 from a possible 48. We need to win games to get near that figure and each result like this one makes the figure look increasingly unattainable. :(

I agree with you John but, even with Grealish back, can you honestly see Villa taking 2 points per game from here on in? 

I said to my Dad, after we watched us comfortably beat Middlesbrough, that we won that game simply because Boro were set up not to concede. As soon as we took the lead in that game we were always going to win it.

Any team that attacks our defence is going to have a very good chance of winning because we concede goals too freely. Reading are terrible and so are Ipswich, neither of those games should be used as a guide to how our defence is performing. Wait until we play against West Brom, Sheffield United etc and we'll see what they're really like. With the same rubbish full-backs I believe we will concede more than we score. 

Obviously, we should never give up on making the play-offs but I would be very surprised if we finished in the top ten this season. I think once the play-offs become out of reach we will see a bit of a capitulation from our team, based purely on the fact the players who know they won't be here next season will start showing they can't be bothered. But, I truly hope I'm proved wrong. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Tough month coming up,

Sheff Utd, Brentford, West Brom & Stoke.

Honestly can't see us winning any of these games and would be surprised if we even manage 3 points from the 4 games

I don’t fear any team in this league.

Ironically we seem to have done better against the ‘tough’ teams then we did against the bottom sides under Smith. Perhaps his system suits those matches better?

• Like 1

I kinda wrote off this season before it had started due to the mess Xia had left behind and with Bruce still in place till October. we should be highter up IMO but we are where we deserve to be four points from play offs . Not insurmountable but also not a given we will achieve the play offs.

The seeds are hopefully being planted for a long term sustainability with a clear footballing plan whether or not Smith is the man to deliver who knows. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

You could make of it that Smith has us precisely in playoff position form and that we’re still seven points behind because of the bad start.

Point gained on West Brom and Leeds! Let’s get Jack back and make a run for the playoffs. Somehow, I still believe.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

You could make of it that Smith has us precisely in playoff position form and that we’re still seven points behind because of the bad start.

Point gained on West Brom and Leeds! Let’s get Jack back and make a run for the playoffs. Somehow, I still believe.

Whats an unbelievable thought is that we have won 2 games in the last 10 and were still only 4 potentially 7 points of play offs. Everyone is beating everyone, when Grealish is back we could scrape it, but due to everyone winning everyone there is 4 teams now on the same points as us. We need top 6 to keep getting beat and the teams around us to also drop points, here is the minor miracle we need all that while Villa putting any kind of winning run together that we haven't achieved all season.

Last 10 games 

2 Wins

6 Draws

2 Losses

After the Reading game Aston Villa have 43 points out of a possible 90. The final projected points total will currently be 66 points that is points after 46 games. Basing this off last seasons final table will put us 12th.

There is still 48 points to play for giving us a maximum potential points haul of 91 points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the appointment of Dean Smith the new projected points total would be 68 points that is points after 46 games. That has included (Before Smith) of 1.25 PPG from Steve Bruce and the current 1.55PPG from Smith. Using 1.55PPG over the remaining 16 games.

Basing this off last seasons final table will put us 11th

Thought for the day: Our maximum achieveable points is only 1 point more than Cardiff finished the season in 2nd with last season.  

Edited by Merson08
  • Thanks 1

On 02/02/2019 at 19:22, Shropshire Lad said:

He has Hadd a nice set of fixtures to get us closer and has failed badly in my opinion. The gap will extend in next few weeks whenw play the better sides

• Sad 1