18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

9 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

I defended Bruce for the longest time but you have used possibly the only exciting game as an example as if it were standard fare throughout the season.

Bruce needed to go. His 17/18 season had a lot more games than just the 4-1 against Wolves. Short memories of Villa fans? 

Norwich at Home was 4-2.

Barnsley away 0-3.

Burton away 0-4. 

Fulham at home 2-1.

Bristol City at home 5-0.

Sheff Wednesday away 2-4.

Sunderland away 0-3.

Wolves home 4-1.

Ipswich Town away 0-4.

Without Jack up to the Boro game last season we were 3 points from the playoff spots in 8th.

At the moment we are 4 points off the playoff spots in 9th.

Bruce had a whole preseason. Smith has had to pick up the pieces left over from the mess of our disaster of a summer and Bruce's bad beginning of the season. I know Smith has had Grealish for half the games (but he also began his tenure in 18th place with a badly performing team), but it's clear that Grealish made all the difference last season and this season. And people talk his influence down to better support their preconceived ideas against the new manager.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Merson08 said:

Bruce needed to go. His 17/18 season had a lot more games than just the 4-1 against Wolves. Short memories of Villa fans? 

Norwich at Home was 4-2.

Barnsley away 0-3.

Burton away 0-4. 

Fulham at home 2-1.

Bristol City at home 5-0.

Sheff Wednesday away 2-4.

Sunderland away 0-3.

Wolves home 4-1.

Ipswich Town away 0-4.

Yep! Short memory. Those were good games to be fair.

50 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

the only exciting game as an example as if it were standard fare throughout the season.

What are you on about? We finished 4th last season scoring 72 goals. There were alot of good times last season.

Say what you want about Bruce, but last season he did a great job with the team.

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What are you on about? We finished 4th last season scoring 72 goals. There were alot of good times last season.

Say what you want about Bruce, but last season he did a great job with the team.

We had a good defence last season. This season even under the mighty Bruce we manage to win one out of 9 or 10.

So basically our current form under Smith isn’t that different from what has been under Bruce. The only difference is Grealish (and Tuanzebe’s effect for Smith style). Smith wasn’t lucky at all. We had a good form and were winning at West Brom, yet a bad decision and goal to draw that. Then Grealish out for around 10 games.

Its not that we’re a one player team, but with our system we need to depend on a proper attacking midfielder. We don’t have anyone for that rule. We have some areas which are packed with players, yet other areas which are really short of them.

24 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

'Great job' which included a lot of shite as well. Look at it objectively. 

Matchday 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
Ground H A A H A H H A H A H H H A A H A H H A H A H A A H A H A H H A H A H A H A A H A H H A H A
Result D L L W D D D W W W W L W D W L W W W D D L D L W W W W W W W L D W L W W L D W L W W W D L
Position 10 21 23 16 15 18 18 13 10 8 7 7 5 6 5 6 5 4 4 4 5 5 6 8 7 5 4 4 3 3 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

4 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

Please show me where "a lot" of shite happened, as your referencing Villalad subjecting 17/18 season. I agree he should of gone this season, but last season he did a great job. 

I look at everything objectively and use hard facts to back up pretty much everything I say. If were referring to game 20 to 24 its a pretty poor run of 5 games over the Christmas period. Outside of that we had 3 draws in a row early in the season, but never went on any mad losing streaks.

Steve Bruce has shown every side we need to see of him to make an assessment, ultimately leaving our defense threadbare, which showed in our results were too bad to allow him to stay. 

10 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

We won the majority of our games and finished in the top 4 that is all that matters.

Give Smith another year and we're finishing mid table, that's my prediction.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Merson08 said:
Matchday 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
Ground H A A H A H H A H A H H H A A H A H H A H A H A A H A H A H H A H A H A H A A H A H H A H A
Result D L L W D D D W W W W L W D W L W W W D D L D L W W W W W W W L D W L W W L D W L W W W D L
Position 10 21 23 16 15 18 18 13 10 8 7 7 5 6 5 6 5 4 4 4 5 5 6 8 7 5 4 4 3 3 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

Please show me where "a lot" of shite happened, as your referencing Villalad subjecting 17/18 season. I agree he should of gone this season, but last season he did a great job. 

I look at everything objectively and use hard facts to back up pretty much everything I say. If were referring to game 20 to 24 its a pretty poor run of 5 games over the Christmas period. Outside of that we had 3 draws in a row early in the season, but never went on any mad losing streaks.

Steve Bruce has shown every side we need to see of him to make an assessment, ultimately leaving our defense threadbare, which showed in our results were too bad to allow him to stay. 

I tell you what, I'm at work right now when I get home I'll respond to this. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Merson08 said:

Is this table correct?  We lost both games after Wolves to QPR and Bolton, we then drew up at Hull, those 3 games alone were shyte, I would also include the gutless performance down at Norwich, made worse by the fact Cardiff had lost the night before against Wolves, not to mention the shambles of the play off final. 

For the squad at his disposal last season there was a lot of shyte, in no way did he do a great job, not even close. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, avfc456 said:

Is this table correct?  We lost both games after Wolves to QPR and Bolton, we then drew up at Hull, those 3 games alone were shyte, I would also include the gutless performance down at Norwich, made worse by the fact Cardiff had lost the night before against Wolves, not to mention the shambles of the play off final. 

For the squad at his disposal last season there was a lot of shyte, in no way did he do a great job, not even close. 

Game 35 was the postponed game which should be moved 3 places to the right on the chart in between game 38 and 39. Which would show the form as W L L D W.

I agree with you his mediocre job last season finishing 4th......I would so hate for that this season. Maybe I am so used to Villa being absolutely toilet and getting beat most weeks that a 4th place finish to me is impressive. I would be over the flippin' moon this season with a 6th place....even ecstatic, call me silly.  

19 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I don't know, i thought we played some great stuff last season.

The 4-1 win over Wolves comes to mind.

Pulis gets you to the top half in this league there is no denying that. I'd rather be in the top 6 than playing possession football and finishing mid table

So you thought Smith would take over and instantly we'd be winning every game playing Barcelona 2010/Brazil 1970s football with the same players? It doesn't work like that my friend, it takes time and supporters like you are part of the problem most managers in the modern game don't get enough time to make an impact. It will take at least 12 months in my opinion for DS to get a squad assembled to suit his style of play.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wedge said:

It will take at least 12 months in my opinion for DS to get a squad assembled to suit his style of play.

And take us mid table like he has done at every club he's managed, yeah happy times ahead indeed.

1 minute ago, wedge said:

So you thought Smith would take over and instantly we'd be winning every game playing Barcelona 2010/Brazil 1970s football with the same players? It doesn't work like that my friend, it takes time and supporters like you are part of the problem most managers in the modern game don't get enough time to make an impact. It will take at least 12 months in my opinion for DS to get a squad assembled to suit his style of play.

I don't think anybody expected that straight away but there's no excuses for some of the performances we've put in under him so far. 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

And take us mid table like he has done at every club he's managed, yeah happy times ahead indeed.

Are you really this dense? Yes I must have forgotten that all football clubs have the same budgets, players, fanbase, opponents, directors, coaching staff, training facilities, ambitions and expectations.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Ok then, how many of the exciting games did we not have Jack Grealish?

1 minute ago, holteend1982 said:

I don't think anybody expected that straight away but there's no excuses for some of the performances we've put in under him so far. 

Tell you what then lets sack him, shall we? It's worked really well for us so far changing managers every 6-10 months hasn't it?

Just now, wedge said:

Are you really this dense? Yes I must have forgotten that all football clubs have the same budgets, players, fanbase, opponents, directors, coaching staff, training facilities, ambitions and expectations.

Haha. Why would you think of any of that kind of 'context' crap? It doesn't fit what he's trying to say.

• Like 1

Just now, praisedmambo said:

Haha. Why would you think of any of that kind of 'context' crap? It doesn't fit what he's trying to say.

Yeah it doesn't even make sense for his narrative, how many times has Steve Bruce been promoted from the Championship? Villa lad's logic should have meant that was a formality with us, no? 

• Like 2

Reading the delusion in this thread you would think we are getting hammered every week. We are drawing a lot but have only 2 defeats in last 15 league games

Leeds have lost as many in the last 7 games as Smith in his entire Villa reign

• Like 4