18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

I heard a few people mention this on Saturday.

Personally I would rather we went up this season and got bummed in every single game next season and went back down, all whilst rebuilding over the transfer windows.

The money alone from going up and then going back down over staying in this league would ease FFP and further help the Dean Smith revolution.

Agreed.

Would enable us to do a Tottenham esque build.

Meaning we pay good fees for top young players but on sustainable (relatively low to begin with) wages until we have a squad full of quality and saleable assets.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

On 02/02/2019 at 19:22, Shropshire Lad said:

For what this potentially pointless fact is worth, we’re seven points off fourth, as it currently stands. Which is the same number of points we were off fourth before Smith took over.

Don’t know what to make of that, but there you go.

On the other hand, we were only 2 points off 6th. Now we're 4 points off and they have a game in hand.

On 02/02/2019 at 19:22, Shropshire Lad said:

For what this potentially pointless fact is worth, we’re seven points off fourth, as it currently stands. Which is the same number of points we were off fourth before Smith took over.

Don’t know what to make of that, but there you go.

On the other hand, we were only 2 points off 6th. Now we're 4 points off and they have a game in hand.

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Looking at boro pulis has managed play offs in two years. Might hate his style but it's effective. 

Personally I think we are destined for around 10th this year. Another season of disappointment 

Pulis is actually underachieving. He has spend big money for this division and got some big loans like Besic yet is 7 points off the automatic spots

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Pulis is actually underachieving. He has spend big money for this division and got some big loans like Besic yet is 7 points off the automatic spots

I'd rather be where they are than us and if they won the play offs they won't be. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd rather be where they are than us and if they won the play offs they won't be. 

Big if. 8 million on George Saville prob huge deak for Mikel

No thanks we are past that shit

19 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

The idea was to move away from that style of football.

I don't know, i thought we played some great stuff last season.

The 4-1 win over Wolves comes to mind.

Pulis gets you to the top half in this league there is no denying that. I'd rather be in the top 6 than playing possession football and finishing mid table

Edited by villalad21

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't know, i though we played some great stuff last season.

Pulis gets you to the top half in this league there is no denying that. I'd rather be in the top 6 than playing possession football and finishing mid table

We also played some pretty turgid stuff - the way we surrended at Molineux was nothing short of pathetic - Wolves literally wiped the floor with us on the night.

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't know, i though we played some great stuff last season.

The 4-1 comes to mind as thats the only performance like that last season

As for Pulis he was outcoached when we hammered them at Riverside

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

We did play a great 90 minutes against Wolves. We also played 5 or 6 other good games out of 46. The first two months of Smith produced better football than that though.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We had Grealish for all of that. When we had him under Smith things were totally different.

• Like 1

It still amazes me that there are fans who didn't enjoy last season. Ultimately we fell short, but it was our best season in over a decade. We've spent years in relegation battles losing most weeks, went down as one of the worst teams in PL history, our first season in the championship was a boring mid table nothingness, this season is an inconsistent mid table campaign.

Yet the season we scored more goals, won more games, actually competed and came out on top most of the time, only missing out on the last day at Wembley by a single goal. Hell, with a half decent ref in that game we could be a PL team now. How that season is still so terrible to some people is beyond me

On this season. While we obviously could still get promoted as it seems the teams above us are just as inconsistent as we are considering they haven't opened up a proper gap despite our terrible form, the way we're playing it's just not going to happen. We need to improve our form ASAP to have any chance and I just can't see it this season 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, avfc456 said:

What do people think will be needed points wise to make 6th?  76?

I presume everyone's guesses will be close. 75 points and a better GD to get it this year cause many teams can end up on same points. 

For us to hit that number we need 11 wins out of 16 games. 

On 01/10/2018 at 22:58, brommy said:

Put Grealish and Tuanzebe back into the 1st team and we will start winning again.  Obviously need to get them fit first.

Our big problem is we have a weak squad but out best 11 is capable of doing well in this league.

Long term i think DS can sort it, but whether he can do it this season, or hold on to key players for next, i dont know...

Edited by flashingqwerty
Sorry brommy i can delete the quote and not sure how it got there...
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I defended Bruce for the longest time but you have used possibly the only exciting game as an example as if it were standard fare throughout the season.