What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

Was out in Moseley last night.  Was surprisingly quiet.  It's clear to me that Craft Ale is slowly but surely destroying real ale😔

Anyway, The Fighting Cocks had 3 real ales on but they were Purity Ubu, London Pride and Doom Bar.  I had to ask the manager why they were basically selling 3 identical beers.  And what a totally uninspiring selection of amber ales anyway. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

Was out in Moseley last night.  Was surprisingly quiet.  It's clear to me that Craft Ale is slowly but surely destroying real ale😔

Anyway, The Fighting Cocks had 3 real ales on but they were Purity Ubu, London Pride and Doom Bar.  I had to ask the manager why they were basically selling 3 identical beers.  And what a totally uninspiring selection of amber ales anyway. 

There's a time and place for both, but yeah real ale had a bit of a heyday that I think has been eclipsed by crazy ale in recent years.

That's a particularly crap lineup that'd see me go elsewhere after a pint of ubu tbh. I've never had a good pint of Doom Bar, seems to travel very poorly

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Definitely a place for both real ale and crazy craft beer flavours. 

London Pride and Doom Bar are both very generic ales aren't they? The Carling and Fosters of their genre. 

Did you venture in the PoW or the Patrick Kavanagh? Used to love going out in Moseley, back in the day. Mate. 

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Definitely a place for both real ale and crazy craft beer flavours. 

London Pride and Doom Bar are both very generic ales aren't they? The Carling and Fosters of their genre. 

Did you venture in the PoW or the Patrick Kavanagh? Used to love going out in Moseley, back in the day. Mate. 

We always start in the POW. They only had 2 ales on. Back in the day they would have had 6 or more.  And the pub plus beer tent would be packed out.  Not sure what's happening but they've reduced the beer range massively and the place is nowhere near as popular as it was. 

My bro had been to the Pat Kav the day before so didn't want to go again. 

It looks like Davenports are opening there so that'll hopefully bring some additional beer engines to the place. 

I did piss off the barman at The Dark Horse though.  Its one of the places that ripped out all their beer engines and went big on craft ale which pissed me off a few years ago. When I asked why no real ale they said there was no demand.. I said I'm here asking for it.   

Anyway now he told us that we could no longer order the craft beer I don't even want at the bar and we could only order from the QR codes on the table.  He said we could order some Vietnamese food at the bar.  I said to my bro "this place gets more and more pretentious everytime we come here", the barman was NOT impressed 😂

• Like 1

It sounds like one pub that doesn't see you as their audience anymore, rather than the entire real ale industry dying, tbh.

It's less popular these days, but there are still plenty of real ale pubs about aren't there? The hipster rocket polisher market has just moved on.

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It sounds like one pub that doesn't see you as their audience anymore, rather than the entire real ale industry dying, tbh.

It's less popular these days, but there are still plenty of real ale pubs about aren't there? The hipster rocket polisher market has just moved on.

I get that, but in my opinion places that serve real ale do have a certain quality that's lost when it goes. 

People above saying Real Ale and Craft Ale can coexist but I'm not sure. 

I'm certain publicans just prefer to sell craft ale as like lager it's just much easier and less work to sell and keep. You can employ a few spotty 18 year olds and they can run the bar with no real need for cellar skills.  So you just don't get a range of craft beer taps plus a beer engine, eventually they just can't be arsed with it anymore. 

There are still places that sell ale but they're becoming less and less.  I'm sure others go out drinking who aren't just hipsters. 

And I also can't help noticing that all these places are less popular than they used to be.  The busiest pub we went to was actually The Fighting Cox that had the most ales (3 although rubbish) and smallest craft beer section so go figure. 

28 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

It’s been hot here the last couple of days (32-34C).   Sitting and sipping a mojito is unbeatable.

I was always quite partial to a caipirinha on a hot sticky evening.

Hope you're keeping cool Morten - 98 here and muggy if you can believe it at 5,400 feet.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I was always quite partial to a caipirinha on a hot sticky evening.

Hope you're keeping cool Morten - 98 here and muggy if you can believe it at 5,400 feet.

Caipirinhas are another great refresher.  I really should pick up some cachaca.  I do like the contribution of the mint in the mojito, though.

I didn't know it could get humid in Denver, other than the 15 minutes immediately following a storm.  We actually had a little rain here last weekend and some humidity.  It felt alien.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2022 at 16:05, Ingram85 said:

Get Sapporo instead. It’s miles better and comes in the best tin ever. 

It's not even the best Sapporo tin ever, unless of course they've reintroduced the one where the whole top comes off and turns the can into a very sturdy drinking vessel. That was the best

On 04/06/2022 at 10:16, sidcow said:

Go to Stirchley. Attic Brewery. Glasshouse. Bournbrook. Wildcat. Cotteridge wines further up the road. Moseley is a bit crap now. Dark Horse is the best place in Moseley and even that’s not great but haven’t been there for a while now. Stirchley is drinking centre for me now, it’s a brewing gem for the city that no one really shouts about with a few really good places to eat as well. Even the British Oak is great despite being run by the same bloke who owns the PoW in Moseley (pow is crap).

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

This offer might appeal to someone on here?

Brewdog

Get a 4x 330ml pack of Hazy Jane for free (just pay £1.95 delivery)

HAZY JANE – CLAIM A 4-PACK ON US

Our flagship New England IPA is the fastest-growing beer in the UK, and we want to know what you think about it. Clocking in at 5% ABV, Hazy Jane is a showcase of tropical hoppy notes that marry pineapple, passionfruit and citrus tones. We use wheat and oats to brew the beer, which gives it a super-smooth mouthfeel, making it both easy-drinking and packed to the brim with flavour.

On 12/06/2022 at 08:52, El Zen said:

Can’t beat an icy Moscow Mule if you want a refreshing drink, in my opinion. 

nah it's all about the zombie...bloody strong though

Had an email today about Honest Brew stopping business/going into administration. I had about £30 in my account so had a look the other night to place an order and thought their selection was very limited, so that explains that.

In a rare visit to Tesco this evening and they had a few I've not had before plus the Vocation one* that I quite like.

uFf5RTV.jpeg

Edited by AlwaysAVFC
*Love and hate
  • Like 2

On 16/06/2022 at 14:16, Genie said:

This offer might appeal to someone on here?

Brewdog

Get a 4x 330ml pack of Hazy Jane for free (just pay £1.95 delivery)

My “free” beers arrived today, however the box was really beaten up and one of the cans had leaked. 

I dropped them a message to see if they will do anything but as they were free I am not especially upset. I’ll try a couple later and report back 

Â