What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Better than Guinness

42828f51-29cd-44b5-95aa-66107b8d5406-CR0

Come at me 

Dytjt.jpg

I wonder what the original version of things like John Smiths and Tetley's would have tasted like.  I would assume that they have absolutely nothing in common with today's mass produced rubbish. 

I remember stumbling across some cask conditioned Brew XI years after Brew XI had become the dominant Midlands keg beer and it was a true revelation, like drinking a different product. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I wonder what the original version of things like John Smiths and Tetley's would have tasted like.  I would assume that they have absolutely nothing in common with today's mass produced rubbish. 

I remember stumbling across some cask conditioned Brew XI years after Brew XI had become the dominating Midlands keg beer and it was a true revelation, like drinking a different product. 

Tetley’s in the 80s was ok. John Smiths wasn’t. Cask Brew XI (and Springfield) were good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Tetley’s in the 80s was ok. John Smiths wasn’t. Cask Brew XI (and Springfield) were good.

Springfield was my usual go to in my early drinking days. 

Oh lovely Springfield, what a wonderful brew. 

A pint for me, and a pint for you. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

I remember stumbling across some cask conditioned Brew XI years after Brew XI had become the dominant Midlands keg beer and it was a true revelation, like drinking a different product. 

They still have John Smiths and Tetleys on cask in some places. The 'north' i'd imagine! 

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Springfield was my usual go to in my early drinking days. 

Oh lovely Springfield, what a wonderful brew. 

A pint for me, and a pint for you. 

I was chatting to my Dad about what he drank when he younger. He was never a massive fan of bitters or milds, so he switched to lager. This was his tipple of choice that I remember him drinking at home when I was a nipper

30179L.jpg

1 minute ago, Xela said:

They still have John Smiths and Tetleys on cask in some places. The 'north' i'd imagine! 

Wow, I've never seen it, at least not in as long as I can remember. 

I've also frequently wondered why people drink this shit. You declare yourself a bitter drinker then choose to drink that shit? 

I remember seeking out a pub in Cornwall from The Good Beer Guide years ago.   They had about 8 real ales on tap, some really interesting ones too, I was like a kid in a candy shop.  Chose my beer and whilst he's pouring it the regular sitting at the bar asked him for another pint of Tetley's when he'd finished. 

I just don't get it. It's like being in a bar with a load of fit women offering themselves to you but then taking home a bearded Russian Shot Putter. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Wow, I've never seen it, at least not in as long as I can remember. 

I've also frequently wondered why people drink this shit. You declare yourself a bitter drinker then choose to drink that shit? 

I remember seeking out a pub in Cornwall from The Good Beer Guide years ago.   They had about 8 real ales on tap, some really interesting ones too, I was like a kid in a candy shop.  Chose my beer and whilst he's pouring it the regular sitting at the bar asked him for another pint of Tetley's when he'd finished. 

I just don't get it. It's like being in a bar with a load of fit women offering themselves to you but then taking home a bearded Russian Shot Putter. 

She makes a far better breakfast ;)

I don't mind a nitrogenated 'smooth' bitter every now and again. I like the coolness of it (temperature not image!). It can be refreshing. Wouldn't be a regular choice though. Sometimes its nice to slum it and have corned beef hash instead of a ribeye steak! :P 

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I was chatting to my Dad about what he drank when he younger. He was never a massive fan of bitters or milds, so he switched to lager. This was his tipple of choice that I remember him drinking at home when I was a nipper

30179L.jpg

Haha. I remember that. Would definitely be seen at various teenage parties I went to. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

She makes a far better breakfast ;)

I don't mind a nitrogenated 'smooth' bitter every now and again. I like the coolness of it (temperature not image!). It can be refreshing. Wouldn't be a regular choice though. Sometimes its nice to slum it and have corned beef hash instead of a ribeye steak! :P 

I would call steak slumming it if corned beef hash is on offer 😏

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

One of the cheap ones that was in the fridge at the liquor store :blush::D

In case you think I'm a philistine this is one of our faves. Well worth a try if you haven't had it. 

https://www.medlockames.com

2E9A4535-UEILIQ.png

Not that I would have thought you were a philistine anyway, but after clicking that link I’m wondering if you might not be a profligate!

7 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Not that I would have thought you were a philistine anyway, but after clicking that link I’m wondering if you might not be a profligate!

Ha! When you're in wine country it's really tempting to go all in! (wife's family has had a house in Sebastopol since the 50's.)

That place is heaven although the fires are now obviously becoming far too common.

Â