What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

53 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it was incredible i must say...not spending £100 on it though! i'll try the 15 and see how it matches up...heard mixed reviews on it so will have to sample before spending the money

talking of sherry bombs, grabbed a bottle of tamdhu 15 on sale for £60 which is a decent price IMO

Of you like Sherry bombs the Glenfarclas range is good. The 15yr old is about £45/50, as the cask strength 105. 

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Of you like Sherry bombs the Glenfarclas range is good. The 15yr old is about £45/50, as the cask strength 105. 

ive tried the 105 and the 12 year and they were both decent (preferred the 105 though). will add the 15 to the list!

22 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

ive tried the 105 and the 12 year and they were both decent (preferred the 105 though). will add the 15 to the list!

Another couple worth trying

Arran Bodega Sherry Cask

Laphroaig 10 Sherry cask

For something much cheaper, Glen Moray Sherry Cask, it’s only about £25. It probably won’t blow you away when compared to something like GlenDronach, but it’s a pleasant dram and for £25 you can’t go wrong. 

3 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Bagged a pretentious 😏 bottle of Deanston 18 in an amazon sale over Xmas, started it this weekend, its great. Strong, fruity and spicy. It will not last long.

Deanston is lovely mate. 

On the subject of whisky, I’m going to another whisky convention in Birmingham on Saturday. They are well worth the money for those of you that enjoy Whisky 

I’ve always wanted to like Whisky. I’ve even been to a distillery in Oban and done a proper taste testing day thinking surely I’ll find a style I like. Loads of different types, hated them all. Like necking paint stripper. Equally frustrating for the staff there as it was for me. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

I’ve always wanted to like Whisky. I’ve even been to a distillery in Oban and done a proper taste testing day thinking surely I’ll find a style I like. Loads of different types, hated them all. Like necking paint stripper. Equally frustrating for the staff there as it was for me. 

Loads of different types = that one burns as it goes down, that one burns as it goes down, that one burns as it goes down... 

I definitely don't get it, been to a distillery in the Highlands which I loved, was a great tour and very interesting and informative, also spent a weekend in Edinburgh with work which was 8 guys who all lived whiskey and they're saying try this one try that one and it just does nothing for me, they all just burn 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Loads of different types = that one burns as it goes down, that one burns as it goes down, that one burns as it goes down... 

I definitely don't get it, been to a distillery in the Highlands which I loved, was a great tour and very interesting and informative, also spent a weekend in Edinburgh with work which was 8 guys who all lived whiskey and they're saying try this one try that one and it just does nothing for me, they all just burn 

Them: Here try this one, it’s like liquid caramel. So smooth you’ll love it!

Me: 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

You are supposed to hold it in your mouth to get the taste, with very small sips not just chuck it down your neck

Years back I was of the same group as it just burns as it goes down. Could not drink whiskey at all. I started to slightly enjoy Irish whiskey as it had a lovely smokiness to it. Slowly I started to appreciate whiskeys and then as time went on and was fortunate to have received some good whiskeys, my opinion changed and my palate seems to have changed. 

14 months since I had a drink! Don't miss it much, but every now and then I crave a tannic red wine. 

I've found a great non alcoholic IPA that I dabble in occasionally. 

Never was that into liquor. 

Enjoy a drink for me, chaps. I'm with you in spirit. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

14 months since I had a drink! Don't miss it much, but every now and then I crave a tannic red wine. 

I've found a great non alcoholic IPA that I dabble in occasionally. 

Never was that into liquor. 

Enjoy a drink for me, chaps. I'm with you in spirit. 

Brewdog do a nice non alcoholic IPA

• Like 1

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

add a couple of drops of water. it changes the taste completely

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bickster said:

You are supposed to hold it in your mouth to get the taste, with very small sips not just chuck it down your neck

exactly. to think that these whiskys have been in a barrel for 10, 12, 15+ years even before they're bottled plus however long in the bottle before being poured into your glass.

the stuff takes a long time to make, so you should take your time drinking it

Has anyone tried the new Havana Club Spiced?

Noticed it was in Asda for a week or two at maybe 13-14 quid, when i decided to pull the trigger it seems to have gone up to 22 quid ish now.

I suspect its just a bog standard spiced rum but would like to know if thats the case before i buy a bottle.

• 2 weeks later...
Â