New Manager Speculation

maqroll

13 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

:lol:

Sky Sports trying to open up the betting market again. They should not be able to do this shit. 

Today alone they have courted Rodgers, Petrov & Martinez for the Villa job. 

Just ignore as usual....I agree, this sort shit should be outlawed imo

2 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

Its believed @AVFCOfficial will approach @Jordan  for permission to speak to Dwight Yorke. Ex-Celt and Villa midfielder Stiliyan Petrov could also have talks. Thierry Henry along with John Terry strongly mentioned.

— Jim White (@JimWhite) October 8, 2018

?

FFS, you had me think he was coaching for the COUNTRY, Jordan until my senses came back.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dounavilla said:

Its believed @AVFCOfficial will approach @Jordan  for permission to speak to Dwight Yorke. Ex-Celt and Villa midfielder Stiliyan Petrov could also have talks. Thierry Henry along with John Terry strongly mentioned.

— Jim White (@JimWhite) October 8, 2018

Lol...Katie Price, Dwight Yorke and John Terry....I thought it was West Ham that produced the adult movies!?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

If any appointment fails, you could say that.

I think the conditions that Sherwood and Garde operated in are quite different to now.....also Garde in particular is not on the same confidence level as JT & TH.

Admittedly they are new to this, just like Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard, even Darren Moore.......but hey they have not been ordinary players, they have played at the top end of the game.

Kevin MacDonald said our lot need to tidy their individual game up and they will rise up the league, it sounds like a bit of a BMH problem has crept in......who better than them to work on this.

I think, we will never have another opportunity like this......lets grab it.

Top players rarely make top managers. 

Sure there are a few, but for the most part good managers tend to have had very ordinary playing careers.

Henry would be a castrophic appointment in my view and I hope it's all just media nonsense. This is not a time to see whether or not Henry will make a good manager or not. Let him test that himself at another club. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hippo said:

I said as soon as Bruce was sacked - we don't want to end with a manager who we think  "hmmmm ....might be alright ...you never know"  - and we appear to be doing exactly that.

Even those lauding the appointment are ass covering already " it will take time " , "what can he do about the defence" 

Hippo, I applaud your stance....but we have done the experienced thing to death.

No manager is nailed on....they just don't exist, unless you sign, the likes of Pepe.....and lets be honest, put him in charge of Mansfield and he might struggle.

We have never been renowned for Expansive football, even in our Halcyon days....Perhaps Ron A in his first 18 months got us close.

The dynamic Duo.....will not preside over cautious football, i think we can all agree on that.....but of course we have to stop the rot......AGAIN.

Thierry Henry, will end up somewhere and the thought of JT working with him is mouthwatering IMO......i think these new owners want something Dynamic as opposed to safe......They have not accumulated their wealth being safe......we have courted safe for far too long......we now need to be INTREPID.

i have no doubt that the likes of Mick McCarthy will interview well and it will all sound feasible and SAFE......We need to move on mate and grasp the moment.....do you remember the sulky Roy Keane ridiculing Mick at the world cup...now I didn't agree with it, but that's what happens when winners( playerwise) meet Safe.

I have always believed that good managers have to have good players.....some of ours are iffy IMO.....but I think our owners will be very supportive in a man THEY believe in.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Hippo, I applaud your stance....but we have done the experienced thing to death.

No manager is nailed on....they just don't exist, unless you sign, the likes of Pepe.....and lets be honest, put him in charge of Mansfield and he might struggle.

We have never been renowned for Expansive football, even in our Halcyon days....Perhaps Ron A in his first 18 months got us close.

The dynamic Duo.....will not preside over cautious football, i think we can all agree on that.....but of course we have to stop the rot......AGAIN.

Thierry Henry, will end up somewhere and the thought of JT working with him is mouthwatering IMO......i think these new owners want something Dynamic as opposed to safe......They have not accumulated their wealth being safe......we have courted safe for far too long......we now need to be INTREPID.

i have no doubt that the likes of Mick McCarthy will interview well and it will all sound feasible and SAFE......We need to move on mate and grasp the moment.....do you remember the sulky Roy Keane ridiculing Mick at the world cup...now I didn't agree with it, but that's what happens when winners( playerwise) meet Safe.

I have always believed that good managers have to have good players.....some of ours are iffy IMO.....but I think our owners will be very supportive in a man THEY believe in.

I like your description of the dynamic duo , far more apt than the joker who preceded them ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skruff said:

Expected to wake up to some exciting announcement. Guess not ?

I woke my Mrs up with an exciting announcement this morning.

Didn't do any good though.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Top players rarely make top managers. 

Sure there are a few, but for the most part good managers tend to have had very ordinary playing careers.

Henry would be a castrophic appointment in my view and I hope it's all just media nonsense. This is not a time to see whether or not Henry will make a good manager or not. Let him test that himself at another club. 

By which time he will be beyond us and we'll kick ourselves.

Current managers who were good players include the premier league champion and multiple la liga and Champions League winner and the guy who won the CL 3 times in a row. Sometimes you have to take a chance.

• Like 1

Just heard Rodgers talking about us on TS. Now they probably cut the whole conversation but from the bit i got it certainly didn't sound like he had ruled himself out. 

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

That Roberto Martinez story is nonsense. Blatant manipulation of the betting market.

It should be illegal, I've really got no idea how they get away with it. 

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

You may never get that chance again.

I accept what you are saying, but that scenario was very much yesteryear.

Today, to be a top football player, you have to have a decent level of intelligence.....I think it is gradually changing.

Henry, gives me the impression, he would make a success out of any career move.....He has that mindset......He is 41 he hasn't rushed in, he has coached one of the best international teams in the world, he has learned form some of the best managers around...he is not a rookie with an inflated ambition, he is calculated and composed......I think he knows he is ready.

and more importantly of all.......We should be ready for change.....We have tried all the stereotype stuff, we have flirted with Safe and sensible, we have tried the been their and done it managers.

We are 15th in the championship......If we were 8-10th in the Premier league, I may not be so bold.

Just remember......its all a gamble no matter who you choose, other managers at other clubs may not be able to repeat their success with us, how many fail ,when moving?

" shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land amongst the stars"

Dreams do come true.....but you have to TRY to achieve them.

I never did think Aston Villa was a normal football club.....We now have an opportunity to at least prove we are ambitious.

I can't believe this. It's almost like people have taken leave of their senses. 

We are in deep shit if we get the next managerial appointment wrong. I mean, serious trouble, unlike at any other time in our history. It could possibly be worse than we can even imagine given our financial position.

Given that fact, you want us to hire a manager who has NEVER managed in his life? On the basis that he was a great player. Its utter madness.

He may turn out to be a good manager but I really would like l, as a bare minimum, a manager with experience and preferably one with experience of managing a club under difficult circumstances.

Has Henry even been at a club in any capacity under difficult circumstances? Never mind as a manager.

This would be a monumental risk at a time when we are desperate for solid foundations.

A massive no from me. 

Smith, Rodgers, Flores, Wilder, Wagner. I'd much rather any of them over Henry. Although I admit we would struggle to get most of them.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1