New Manager Speculation

maqroll

33 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

IIRC he wouldn't leave Wigan for us in the Premier League but he would leave Belgium for us in the championship? Weird 

well, I would hazard a guess the wherewithal of the owners may have a bearing on that.

• Like 1

It's so reductive to say 'good players rarely make good managers.' It's kind of obvious that being a good player means nothing in this case and that it's an even playing field when it comes to management, that the traits needed to be successful aren't the same between managing and playing.

But that doesn't equate to good players having some kind of anti-management traits. That's a ludicrous statement arrived at from some simplistic confirmation bias. Everyone knows Henry or anyone similar would be a risk. I think those in favour are just sick of the same old. I for one think it's a hell of a risk, but at least it'll be interesting. And the main thing is you'd hope he has ambition to actually try to play some form of attacking football. But yeah of course it'd be a risk—but not because he was a good player.

This is getting boring.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Now that I would love. For a start, Martinez is actually a manager which is what we are desperate for right now.

A man who thinks a defence is a redundant part of a football team . If you think we are leaking goals now wait till he gets us... never got the hype with this guy. How he fell into managing a squad with the ability of Belgium is beyond me.  Looked tactically clueless and outsmarted until the big boys ( literally) bailed him out against Japan.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

It's so reductive to say 'good players rarely make good managers.' It's kind of obvious that being a good player means nothing in this case and that it's an even playing field when it comes to management, that the traits needed to be successful aren't the same between managing and playing.

But that doesn't equate to good players having some kind of anti-management traits. That's a ludicrous statement arrived at from some simplistic confirmation bias. Everyone knows Henry or anyone similar would be a risk. I think those in favour are just sick of the same old. I for one think it's a hell of a risk, but at least it'll be interesting. And the main thing is you'd hope he has ambition to actually try to play some form of attacking football. But yeah of course it'd be a risk—but not because he was a good player.

This is getting boring.

No, it would be a risk because he isn't actually a football manager. This is not a time to be employing a managerial unknown.

6 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I can't believe this. It's almost like people have taken leave of their senses. 

We are in deep shit if we get the next managerial appointment wrong. I mean, serious trouble, unlike at any other time in our history. It could possibly be worse than we can even imagine given our financial position.

Given that fact, you want us to hire a manager who has NEVER managed in his life? On the basis that he was a great player. Its utter madness.

You can't see it fine.

did you hear the mutterings of Kevin Mac....did you read between the lines.....did you see the figure/ stature of Steve Bruce.....we have problems that a seasoned manager is failing with due IMO to ill health and a continued failure to get the basics right in the team......yes basics.

What do you mean, if we get the next managerial appointment wrong, since way back when.......We have got them ALL wrong.....This path we have trodden, has grown over....its broken.

He has never had any adverse to break his confidence, He has never spent money to create doubt, he is fresh and free from negativity, he is not damaged goods, He will transfer all that to his players.

You talk of him being a great player, like it is bestowed on everyone, its magical.....Football is hugely about confidence these proposed 2 will swamp them with that.

I liked Steve Bruce as you know, but his persona is like a gun fighter that has met too many on the trail, from town to town another fight another battle scar, another bullet clipping this ear.......I want Billy the Kid, fresh from his youth to take on the world.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nigel said:

By 'old school' you mean 'had a job before!

Yeah,

Pretty much like Lambert, McCleish and Bruce

I am not being fooled by what he's doing in the SPL......after all, how many people see a move to the SPL after being in the Premiership as progressing one's career?? 

Not many !!!

7 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

A man who thinks a defence is a redundant part of a football team . If you think we are leaking goals now wait till he gets us... never got the hype with this guy. How he fell into managing a squad with the ability of Belgium is beyond me.  Looked tactically clueless and outsmarted until the big boys ( literally) bailed him out against Japan.

With the state of our squad, attack is the best form of defence at the moment.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Now that I would love. For a start, Martinez is actually a manager which is what we are desperate for right now.

Now that would equally be a gamble.....How many clubs has he failed at?

One of the best managers around at convincing folk that a defeat is ok

Which boxer would you back.....

• One that has had 30 wins with 7 defeats

or

• One with very few fights but never beaten.

There is NO sure bet.....but In my experience watching Villa , I am now at the point that an opportunity to have a freshness from negativity, is more of an attraction that experience that includes iffy spells.

Lets be honest....who had heard of Nuno, BEFORE he went to Wolves

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

or

There is NO sure bet.....but In my experience watching Villa , I am now at the point that an opportunity to have a freshness from negativity, is more of an attraction that experience that includes iffy spells.

So your basically saying Henry is the lomachenko of the football world. ? Yeah I'll take that 

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

or

The only manager in the world to get an 'established' PL team relegated, with a whimper, and to be praised for it. He must be an absolute gent in press conferences and really roll the red carpet out for the pundits and media.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Anyway, what's happened to Fonseca and Wenger?

They're trying to convince Benitez and Conte to be on their coaching team when they take over here.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

or

Lets be honest....who had heard of Nuno, BEFORE he went to Wolves

He had managed Valencia and Porto before Wolves. 

Henry has managed nobody. Ever.

That's a massive difference.