New Manager Speculation

maqroll

35 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

But that doesn't equate to good players having some kind of anti-management traits. That's a ludicrous statement arrived at from some simplistic confirmation bias. Everyone knows Henry or anyone similar would be a risk. I think those in favour are just sick of the same old. I for one think it's a hell of a risk, but at least it'll be interesting. And the main thing is you'd hope he has ambition to actually try to play some form of attacking football. But yeah of course it'd be a risk—but not because he was a good player.

Everybody that has worked with Roy Keane has said that he expects players to be as good as he was and I think a few other ex-pros have had same issue. Henry might be able to get his ideas across to Lukaku, Hazard and De Bruyne because they are close to his level as a player. Remember Henry was a demanding player as well

Will he have the patience to work with Jedinak, Whelan and Kodjia 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

He had managed Valencia and Porto before Wolves. 

Henry has managed nobody. Ever.

That's a massive difference.

They all have to start somewhere.....and if they go on to big things it means the start was good.

have faith.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

well, I would hazard a guess the wherewithal of the owners may have a bearing on that.

Is that an ITK hint? Martinez DOF, Henry and Terry coaching staff and, with the Belgium connection and leverage, Eden Hazard coming in January? I like it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want this resolved ASAP! Sick of refreshing! 

Kodjia is a quality player who requires some guidance, I think he'd perform better in a team with far more structure! 

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

They all have to start somewhere.....and if they go on to big things it means the start was good.

have faith.

Faith is believing in something without sufficient evidence. 

I don't have faith in anything. I have beliefs based on the available evidence. In the absence of any evidence to suggest Henry will make a good manager, I would rather hire someone who has proven himself. Not one of the old school merry go round types, but someone who has done a good job somewhere and has some fresh ideas.

I'd like to see Smith or Rodgers given the job.

Edited by One For The Road

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Everybody that has worked with Roy Keane has said that he expects players to be as good as he was and I think a few other ex-pros have had same issue. Henry might be able to get his ideas across to Lukaku, Hazard and De Bruyne because they are close to his level as a player. Remember Henry was a demanding player as well

If he hasn't he can sell them. Simple as.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Before rocking up to his new job with us he has one last mission with Belgium...

thierry-henry-roberto-martinez-belgium_5

‘Eh Bobby, wat is za brummie for va va voom”?

Or was it? "Listen, I will say this only once. Hands off the Villa job it's JT's and mine!"

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No need as they will be gone after we are promoted in May

25 minutes ago, TRO said:

Now that would equally be a gamble.....How many clubs has he failed at?

One of the best managers around at convincing folk that a defeat is ok

Which boxer would you back.....

• One that has had 30 wins with 7 defeats

or

• One with very few fights but never beaten.

There is NO sure bet.....but In my experience watching Villa , I am now at the point that an opportunity to have a freshness from negativity, is more of an attraction that experience that includes iffy spells.

Lets be honest....who had heard of Nuno, BEFORE he went to Wolves

Humbly, I accept the manager with the 76.7% win rate!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John said:

Or was it? "Listen, I will say this only once. Hands off the Villa job it's JT's and mine!"

Or was it...I want Hazard, Dear Bruyne and any spare CBs you have to join our great club in January....just convince them Thierry it's in you're job description!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

all about man management skills and leadership, he can be as demanding as he likes if his players respect him, roy keane on the other hand running round calling everyone a word removed is then surprised no one wants to be there, his problem is that he cant accept how precious modern day footballers are, that they dont give it everything if they have an excuse not to and that ego stroking is as important as discipline 

that should also be the experience he has from belgium, their problem isnt trying to teach world class players how to do world class things, its getting them to click and their better players to perform as a unit

theres definitely a parallel with the villa

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Nor should he?  Sometimes a little less patience would be better.

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

JT must have had the patience of a Saint to play alongside Hutton and Elmo after the guys he's used to playing with. I guess it's all about personality. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

If he was called Robert Martin he would be managing a lower club. Talks a great game and has an exotic name

Just heard on the TS news bulletin that Martinez is stalling on a new contract, a d has apparently touted himself for the Real Madrid gig :crylaugh:

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

Top players rarely make top managers. 

Sure there are a few, but for the most part good managers tend to have had very ordinary playing careers.

Henry would be a castrophic appointment in my view and I hope it's all just media nonsense. This is not a time to see whether or not Henry will make a good manager or not. Let him test that himself at another club. 

Guardiola, Zidane, Conte, Ancelloti, Deschamp, Simeone, Capello, Rijkaard, Daglish, Beckenbauer,  Del Bosque, Trapattoni, Cryuff. 

Yes im sure you can list many top players that failed as managers. But then I could also list many ordinary players that failed as managers too. 

Top player does not equal poor manager and it’s a pretty simplistic way of thinking to suggest it does in my opinion. 

I do agree with your last sentence though based on the fact he has zero experience. Being a top player has nothing to do with it.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2