New Manager Speculation

maqroll

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

OK - He managed those giants at Lyon, with there massive staduim playing in front of 70k every week. But for some reason couldn't hack at villa - and ran home crying to his mom.

actually their stadium only holds 60.000.

But that is the new stadium, their old stadium they used when he was there held a paltry 25.000.

Sure you remember that they were massively successful from 2000 up until PSG took over in France and Lyon had to cut down their spending to pay for their new stadium?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

He had done average at a very small club in a minor league - things picked rapidly after he left.  I would doubt Henry would last a full season TBH.

Why do you think that tho? Just out of curiosity 

1 minute ago, sne said:

actually their stadium only holds 60.000.

But that is the new stadium, their old stadium they used when he was there held a paltry 25.000.

Sure you remember that they were massively successful from 2000 up until PSG took over in France and Lyon had to cut down their spending to pay for their new stadium?

I had never heard of him before - for good reason. My memory is that he won a staggering 3 games as villa boss - and looked a stupid appointment from the start - then there was that  "Right man wrong time bollox" - Darkest days Ive known in 45 years following villa.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I had never heard of him before - for good reason. My memory is that he won a staggering 3 games as villa boss - and looked a stupid appointment from the start - then there was that  "Right man wrong time bollox" - Darkest days Ive known in 45 years following villa.

You’re too young to remember him playing for Arsenal? 

Oh my bad I see the 45 years following statement. 

Edited by Tommo_b
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, hippo said:

OK - He managed those giants at Lyon, with there massive staduim playing in front of 70k every week. But for some reason couldn't hack at villa - and ran home crying to his mom.

Are we talking about the same people here?

Obviously Garde did a poor job but the writing was already on the wall when he came in.

• Like 1

My thoughts on a number of the names discussed so far:

Smith - Would jump at the chance of managing Villa. The 'I'm happy at Brentford' talk is just that.

Rodgers - Won't come to the Villa. Wants a Premier League job next, and why wouldn't he get one?

Henry - Just don't know if he has the coaching background to succeed. Does he have his UEFA-Pro License? Does he see himself starting in the Championship?

Foreigners - No idea. Don't know enough on any of them to offer a constructive comment

I would give it to Dean Smith.

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Why do you think that tho? Just out of curiosity 

About Henry ? - He was an excellent player of course - I don't think he has a very imposing personality - I think he has the ability to irritate quite quickly. I think he would come in with high ideals and the promise of time to get things right - but quickly have to back track to get some points on the board. I  think his appointment is all about the headline, him playing for Arsenal and the theory that a top player will make a top manager.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Fair enough, but no need to slate Lyon, they were a real powerhouse for a large part of the 2000's :)

The fact that they had been forced to sell off most of their talent by the time Garde managed them and that he was an in house cheap solution for them doesn't really come in to it.

Most clubs would suffer if they had to sell the likes of  Michael Essien, Florent Malouda, Sidney Govou, Juninho, Cris, Éric Abidal, Ben Arfa, Mahamadou Diarra, Jean Makoun II and Karim Benzema among others during a short period of time.

as for why we signed him? I kinda got the feeling he didn't really wan't to be a manager.

Atleast your selections for odds are a bit exciting ?

Henry,  Arteta, Fonseca, Smith, exciting names.

Now imagine this for a scenario, you are waiting for a managerial legend to make a choice, sitting pretty at the top of your odds is his glorious name ?

And then you scan down the list, and tears start to fall down your face as you realise that if it isnt this great then it will be one of many erm, cabbages.

Marcelo Bielsa

Mick McCarthy-

Steve Bruce- 

Simon Grayson- 

Jaap Stam- 

David O'Leary- 

Steve McClaren- 

Nigel Pearson- 

That genuinely was the odds at one point after Heckingbottom.

Just be grateful for small mercies!!!!!!

Edited by Cjay
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Fair enough, but no need to slate Lyon, they were a real powerhouse for a large part of the 2000's :)

The fact that they had been forced to sell off most of their talent by the time Garde managed them and that he was an in house cheap solution for them doesn't really come in to it.

Most clubs would suffer if they had to sell the likes of  Michael Essien, Florent Malouda, Sidney Govou, Juninho, Cris, Éric Abidal, Ben Arfa, Mahamadou Diarra, Jean Makoun II and Karim Benzema among others during a short period of time.

as for why we signed him? I kinda got the feeling he didn't really wan't to be a manager.

Dunno - He has gone back in to management since. I don't think he wanted to be villa manager after he had been here a couple of weeks. Just sulked his pay to a big pay off from what I here. Hardly spoke to anyone.

There's part of me that thinks Moyes MIGHT get us up.

But it would be such a deflating appointment. To have new, rich owners and for them to just appoint one of the usual suspsects.

Anyone from Allardyce, Moyes, Pardew etc would be a let down.

• Like 2