New Manager Speculation

maqroll

Steve Bruce's turgid Villa played Dean Smith's liquid football-playing Brentford only a couple of weeks ago and had 57% possession, surprised the Brentford fans aren't calling for his head at that rate...

There was a period against Brentford where passing and interplay was a joy to watch. If only we could set out to play that way every game. I want a manager who insists we play that way, who believes in entertaining the fans. We should be more than capable with the squad we've got.

Just now, Zatman said:

Dean Smith is definite progressive choice. His budget is minimal compared to ours plays good football, improves players and deserves a crack. He loses his best players every season as well

Prepare yourself for the anti-smith lot here. When Brentford win and play fantastic football in the process, well it's the structure Brentford have in place, Smith merely picks the team and stands on the line on a Saturday. When they lose "told you he was crap, useless manager etc rec. Quite funny actually.

Modern day footballers need to be impressed, that is why Henry would be attractive, as would JT, and why Lampard will do ok at Derby.

The days of Clough, Fergie, Shankley etc are long gone. Much as I like Dean Smith, I'm not sure some of the younger players would be that impressed

2 minutes ago, Niall said:

Why is that?

These are a level above the players each are used to.

Whats to say they can handle this?

Its a different beast managing a club with the immediate expectancy levels as ours, they will need to hit the ground running.

Edited by Nigel

5 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Modern day footballers need to be impressed, that is why Henry would be attractive, as would JT, and why Lampard will do ok at Derby.

The days of Clough, Fergie, Shankley etc are long gone. Much as I like Dean Smith, I'm not sure some of the younger players would be that impressed

I don't agree at all. I think it's all about personality, attitude and knowledge of the game and fundamentally a manager's ability to coax the best from his squad. Klopp, Howe, Wagner, Silva, Sarri.....hardly stars before becoming football managers. They haven't done so badly.

Edited by Niall

8 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Steve Bruce's turgid Villa played Dean Smith's liquid football-playing Brentford only a couple of weeks ago and had 57% possession, surprised the Brentford fans aren't calling for his head at that rate...

I won't even bother to go into why your insinuation is hogwash you are already aware of.

I'll allow someone else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I won't even bother to go into why your insinuation is hogwash you are already aware of.

I'll allow someone else.

I don't think anyone else will fella, especially seeing as you're literally the only person who thinks that was a serious comment...jeeez.

• Haha 1

Just now, sne said:

So bring back Roy Keane? ;)

I desperately want us to go far an tactician.

A manager with attention to details and clear ideas that he can explain to the players and get his coaching team to teach the players.

So the exact opposite of what we have now.

Yeah what we need is a coach really - head coach. We need someone who can do more then just motivate the players; Martin O Neil/Bruce type of figure should be a thing of the past now. It doesn’t work now. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nigel said:

These are a level above the players each are used to.

Whats to say they can handle this?

Its a different beast managing a club with the immediate expectancy levels as ours, they will need to hit the ground running.

I can't speak for other villa fans but all i want to see, all I've ever wanted to see is something that looks like football on a Saturday or whenever we play. Good shape, ball on the floor and playing with purpose. Work that you do Monday to Friday geared towards the weekend. I'd never call for a manager's head if i seen we were going somewhere, that we had a plan going forward and i thought " we are actually playing really well just really unlucky " or whatever. Bruce is finished in my opinion.  Your assumption that Smith can't many a club our size is based on zero logic and a bit of a lazy generalisation really. We both don't know. I don't know the man. His personality etc. I do know he turned down West Brom ( much bigger than Brentford) because he couldn't bring his coaches and was told to keep Darren Moore. He said no.

18 days to the next game. There couldn't be a better time to get this done. Bruce has no further purpose at AVFC, he's neither use nor knobbly-looking ornament. He won't have the intelligence, decency or humility to acknowledge his inadequacy so he will have to be fired but so be it. Whatever problems he solved when he arrived, it is now he who is the problem to be solved.

• Like 4