New Manager Speculation

maqroll

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's a gamble, should he come, but one things for sure, he's a born winner with a loving passion for the game of football. Imagine the football we'd play, anything is better than the turgid crap that Bruce serves up.

I knew for a fact a lot of our fans would want Henry for this reason. Just because they played for clubs that play good football it doesn't mean they will automatically implement it into their management style, plus it's always going to be difficult to have that style when we have players like whelan and jedinak in the midfield. 

Zola was one of the greatest premier league players I've ever seen and look what happened with him at Birmingham. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Does stability mean stability? Does would mean wouldn't? I think it's obvious. 

Good and thought provoking contribution. Won’t say what thoughts it provoked though.

4 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

I knew for a fact a lot of our fans would want Henry for this reason. Just because they played for clubs that play good football it doesn't mean they will automatically implement it into their management style, plus it's always going to be difficult to have that style when we have players like whelan and jedinak in the midfield. 

Zola was one of the greatest premier league players I've ever seen and look what happened with him at Birmingham. 

I get the Zola argument but he doesn't come across as very inspirational. Whereas I think that Henry would. He has just helped Belgium come 3rd in the WC and has taken his time learning the management side. He hasn't just jumped straight into club management.

The thing that doesn't sit well with me is Bruce went through a lot personally last season but never ever let the club down in terms of his commitment and effort, who knows how much that effected him and if that did prove the distraction that cost us, i feel he deserves one more shot at it.

In terms of Henry then if it did happen then the profile and focus it would add to the club for a new owner is off the scale so I can see the appeal and maybe with an experienced head like Bould next to him then it may work but its a massive gamble and im not sure it will be given the 2 years it may take to come through in terms of developing a style and team with the general impatience of football

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Do we need stability ? I’ve heard we’ve needed that for a while now...maybe we need the opposite ? Maybe we need to stop fretting , worrying, and calming down, and instead need energising, and driving on forward ?

Sold!

Definitely voting for Brexit in a second referendum now! 

• Haha 1

Given the absurd pace of modern day football and the associated hiring and firing of managers, can I be the first to predict the headline, "He's a gunner" when a certain Mr T is being courted by his former employer after firing us back to the promised land?

With Thierry Henry I'm quite excited by the thought of a fresh approach. Along with the new owners fresh approach. 

I am not at all excited about the same old stale approach under Bruce. Not at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rumours are steve bould will be Henry's number 2. That puts my mind a little at ease as he is a very experienced coach. If true if course as I don't think it is.

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

Have to agree with @terrytini earlier, I think Bruce has stabilised the club and given players like Jack some stability from which to develop - if there would be a word written on Brucey's gravestone it would be stability. But I don't know what is stable about replenishing the squad with loans on big wages where at the end of the season no player is certain of their future. Stability phase 2 for me is to build a young team with a bit of technical nous, and it doesn't matter how long it takes. It doesn't have to be Henry but I think he could attract the type of players we need - i.e. young, bit of skill, cheap enough, not megabucks. Our academy could be incredible in a few years time. 

Realistically, Thierry Henry has the same experience of managing at club level as Gabby Agbonlahor... now who would like to see Agbonlahor in charge this season?

In my mind it's crazy, it has the potential to turn out like Di Matteo, Garde or as someone mentioned Zola for Blues. You need experience in this league, the last two winners of the league had Nuno and Benitez in charge although neither had Championship experience they both had managerial experience. Second places, Brighton with Hughton, Cardiff with Warnock... experience.

We need stability. If we bring in Henry, give him some money to spend then it all goes down the pan in 3 months we again have players on board that the new manager doesn't want. Di Matteo/Bruce all over again.

Granted Burce doesn't put a team out to play football, and that fault could possibly see him leave today. But you can't knock the way he has turned the club, its atmosphere and the way us fans have gotten back on board with it all. If he is to leave we need to find a manager who can come in and start where Bruce left it, but with the ability to get us playing some good football. Henry, for me, is a risk that we shouldn't be taking...

Just now, wilko154 said:

Realistically, Thierry Henry has the same experience of managing at club level as Gabby Agbonlahor... now who would like to see Agbonlahor in charge this season?

In my mind it's crazy, it has the potential to turn out like Di Matteo, Garde or as someone mentioned Zola for Blues. You need experience in this league, the last two winners of the league had Nuno and Benitez in charge although neither had Championship experience they both had managerial experience. Second places, Brighton with Hughton, Cardiff with Warnock... experience.

We need stability. If we bring in Henry, give him some money to spend then it all goes down the pan in 3 months we again have players on board that the new manager doesn't want. Di Matteo/Bruce all over again.

Granted Burce doesn't put a team out to play football, and that fault could possibly see him leave today. But you can't knock the way he has turned the club, its atmosphere and the way us fans have gotten back on board with it all. If he is to leave we need to find a manager who can come in and start where Bruce left it, but with the ability to get us playing some good football. Henry, for me, is a risk that we shouldn't be taking...

Would he be such a risk if a director of football came on board too, and implemented a style accross the club like Steve Round once promised? If we could take a direction and stay with it, then managers can come and go. It would mitigate the risk with Henry at least. I'm basically thinking what Southampton did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Would he be such a risk if a director of football came on board too, and implemented a style accross the club like Steve Round once promised? If we could take a direction and stay with it, then managers can come and go. It would mitigate the risk with Henry at least. I'm basically thinking what Southampton did.

Is Gabby that director of football maybe? ?

Edited by cb_82

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

If it is TH then I think it’s worth focusing just as much on what this means for our philosophy going forwards. He doesn’t have to go get us promotion this term but he will probably refresh our squad with young technical players and adopt a style to suit. The existing lads of jack if he stays, COH, Green etc will all thrive in that sort of environment. I think it’s a risk worth taking if we are ever to become a modern club and it doesn’t have to break the bank. 

Spot on mate. I’m 50:50 on TH. However, I think the ethos of the team will change for the better and bring us back to the modern day. Will he get us promoted, I very much doubt it. It could be a bit nervy along the way and we may flirt with relegation. Looking at the bigger picture, though, he may very well implement a more fluid, attacking approach to our game that has yielded success in this division, ie Wolves, Fulham. 

More imortantly that team philosophy once embedded COULD continue and evolve with future managers if our owners see it as the best way to sustain us as a Club and a business. 

I know there’s a lot of ifs, buts and maybes there.....new era, new ideas.....the rollercoaster will continue and it may be one hell of a journey. 

• Like 1

The one thing that excites me about Henry is this;

Ask yourself this... would Henry have taken the job 10 days ago under Xia and no investment?

There's promises/assurances of serious funding and structure afoot here.

He may or may not be "the man", and I'm a bit on the fence on his appointment - one hand there's the inexperience and upheaval, but the other half of me thinks "Thierry Henry ?"

Edited by StewieGriffin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

That would definately be an option, but a director of football would need to be the one with managerial experience to in some ways mentor Henry if this is the route we were to go down.

I imagine a Wenger, Henry, Bould combination is out of the question but that would make me a lot more comfortable with the situation.

• Like 1