Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

7 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

The value of the Turkish Lira is collapsing at an alarming rate, this may lead to opportunities to pick players up cheaply. One that might be worth a look at on a season long loan would be Aussie left back Aziz Behich from Bursaspor.

Cyle Larin would be a great pick up from Besiktas

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

are we becoming the liverpool of the championship? score a ton of goals but leak like an ITK on speed. I really think we need to tighten up the defense as we are one injury away from a crisis there. If Chester gets injured I would be incredibly worried. we got pretty lucky with him last season being fully fit for the entire season. we have no one of his caliber there now to partner with him so this is far from ideal.

1 hour ago, Robbie09 said:

I was against Terry returning mainly because we lack pace at the back, but after watching the defensive horror show on saturday I would happily have him back.

Last season he marshalled the defence superbly, so far we have looked shapeless and vulnerable.

Maybe there’s a younger but experienced centre half that could fill the role but I can’t of one at present.

We also had Johnstone organising his defence too. We looked so vulnerable from crosses against Wigan compared to matches last season. 

Terry won't return; his wages are ridiculous, he can't be no. 26, he won't be captain, it won't be all about him...

He would offer very very little on the pitch anyway. His legs are gone and he'd be a liability which would be a shame for all concerned. No coincidence he's not with a new team yet.

The CB position is solved by loaning a winger. Then we have Chester and Tuanzebe. Back up in Elphick or kids.

Elmo Chester Tuanzebe Hutton

Still an injury away from a crisis but no different to last year where it was Samba waiting in the wings.

Think I'd play 4-4-1-1;

Green McGinn Hourihane Adomah

Grealish 

Striker?

Don't need an out and out DM with McGinn and Hourihane covering ground and developing an understanding between them. Green is possibly not a starter yet but given time could add further pace. Our striker situation is desperate.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, sne said:

Is it 25 registered players over 21 squad size rule?

If so we really can't bring in that many unless they are under 21 y.o.

It would be limited by the 25 man sqiad rule.  I havent looked but i think there are some u21s in our 21 man squad already?

Diego Reyes is available on a free after leaving Porto. I know it might be a bit of a ‘football manager-esk’ signing, but he’s 25 and a Mexican international centre back. He’d be unreal in this league.

Just makes too much sense to go for a player like that though I guess ?. I wouldn’t imagine his wages would be anywhere near what we were paying Terry either. 

• Like 4

Having a slow central defender means we'll have to sit deeper to compensate for this.

It also means we either have a gap between defense and midfield or drop the midfield a bit deeper and have one between MF and attackers.

Either way it means any pressing done becomes less effective and likely means our wide players are less likely to join in attack.

Now with the vastly experienced Terry this worked because he directed the positioning of all the players around him and he himself was positionally on point most of the time despite his lack of movement.

This will not work in the long run with Jedi, nor will it work with another slow CB if Jedi or even Whelan plays in CM.

There will be holes either behind the defense or between DF and MF for anyone to exploit.

Terry, I have big, big doubts he could do it for another season.

Huth hasn't played for almost a year and was spectacularly slow even before that, big gamble.

Jedi, just no.

Elphick is a back up, that's it

Tuanzebe? Who know, hopefully

Tomas Kalas still hasn't gone out on loan (I think?) bit on the short side perhaps...

Regarding Terry - I think i would pass on his this year. No pre-season so would take him a month to get to the point of being a starter and surely there must be CBs out there not on his huge wages and younger. I have lots of Utd fan friends telling me that Tuanzebe is the dog's nuts, hoping bruce gives him a chance as an out-and-out CB.

Seen a few links for Odegaard also today. Watched him for a few years and looked the real deal before real madrid. seems to have petered out and was struggling in their B team. Guess thats what happens when you pay a 16 yo 80k a week.

I pine for Snodgrass back but looks no chance as he came on for hammers this weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avfcwills10 said:

Diego Reyes is available on a free after leaving Porto. I know it might be a bit of a ‘football manager-esk’ signing, but he’s 25 and a Mexican international centre back. He’d be unreal in this league.

Just makes too much sense to go for a player like that though I guess ?. I wouldn’t imagine his wages would be anywhere near what we were paying Terry either. 

From his Wikipedia Page:

Style of play[edit]

Reyes has been described as "intelligent in his positioning, comfortable in possession and strong in the air",[21] as well as being praised for "his ability to time challenges play crisp passes and keep possession when under pressure".[22] Though mainly a defender, Reyes has also been deployed as a defensive midfielder throughout his career.[23]

Doesn't play Right Back so no good for us! ;)

Â