Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

30 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Yes your'e right but I don't think we've got the players to do it tonight

I agree, but I still bet Bruce does it!

(This coming from someone on-the-fence about Bruce—I think he's as stubborn as any manager and can't see him using that formation throughout preseason only to drop it for the first game).

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

So would you turn down all players and opportunities before we sign a CB, and only then move on to lower priorities? 

What if it takes the whole window to get the CB in, we’d miss out on our other targets.

No of course I wouldn’t. I understand what you’re saying, that transfers don’t happen in order of necessity.

I don’t know how else to say it, I don’t believe we need a new left back. I think the options we have there currently are adequate. 

If money is too tight to mention because of FFP, I would be happier we spent what we can elsewhere. 

If FFP is not an issue, then I don’t have any misgivings at all.

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

I agree, but I still bet Bruce does it!

(This coming from someone on-the-fence about Bruce—I think he's as stubborn as any manager and can't see him using that formation throughout preseason only to drop it for the first game).

I don't think he played it at Dresden did he? If we get the right players it's a no brainer. Tuanzebe and another CB (Burn at Wigan maybe?) and it would be just right

7 minutes ago, Derryvillan said:

Too young for Bruce.

More chance its Steve Kean etc etc.

"We have to be a bit younger than we were last year - when you look back, too many of the squad we had put together last year was on the wrong side of 30. So we need a bit more freshness, a bit more legs and a bit more energy." - the Bruise

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/11460402/steve-bruce-says-it-is-time-for-aston-villa-to-rebuild

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

No of course I wouldn’t. I understand what you’re saying, that transfers don’t happen in order of necessity.

I don’t know how else to say it, I don’t believe we need a new left back. I think the options we have there currently are adequate. 

If money is too tight to mention because of FFP, I would be happier we spent what we can elsewhere. 

If FFP is not an issue, then I don’t have any misgivings at all.

I get what you’re saying mate, fingers crossed that those in charge know what they’re doing... there’s always a first time!

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

We wont pay the guaranteed 6 mill to start of next season and pay them a loan fee this season.  FFP is a rolling 3 year thing.  The first of these years we made a 80mill lose i think.  So it will be off the cards come this time next year so we have room to move.  I suspect a few of our signings coming in this week will be deferred to next season with a guaranteed purchase.  Way of working out FFP predicament .

Edited by HeyAnty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I get what you’re saying mate, fingers crossed that those in charge know what they’re doing... there’s always a first time!

I’m prepared to go with it, if he’s a significant upgrade on our first choice left back, then great.

Or if the idea is he’d be deployed as a left winger or left wing back, then again fine, it gives us several options.

I’m just concerned that we’ve gone from fretting about not being able to sign players because of their wages to spending up to £6m on a position that, I feel, is one of the areas that isn’t a concern.

Also, I’m concerned about what this means regarding Jack.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Bruce signs an older player;

”typical Bruce signing old players”

Bruce signs a younger player;

”typical Bruce, why won’t he give our own youth a chance!?”

Bruce magically transforms into a unicorn;

”typical Bruce turning in to a mythical beast”

Ptthh, one of those 3 examples is utter bollocks. I have NEVER seen Bruce sign a young player.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

LB we have Taylor and Hutton.

We definitely need a good LB.

The only left back position I want to see Neil Taylor in, is left back in the changing room.

Am I right lads?

Am I right?

Who's with me lads?

...lads...?

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

We wont pay the guaranteed 6 mill to start of next season and pay them a loan fee this season.  FFP is a rolling 3 year thing.  The first of these years we made a 80mill lose i think.  So it will be off the cards come this time next year so we have room to move.  I suspect a few of our signings coming in this week will be deferred to next season with a guaranteed purchase.  Way of working out FFP predicament .

Given his age, I think he would be offered a 4-5 year deal. Regards FFP, when accounting the club would utilise the standard practice of amortisation. The fee, along with his salary, would be spread across the life of his contract, regardless of whether a fee was paid up front or not. Maybe there is more skullduggery to be have with the loaning methodology you have highlighted also.

Interestingly, if a player is sold, to my knowledge the full amount goes into the income column regardless of when or how the fee is paid. So for instance, if we purchased Bryan for 6 mil this season and sold him next for 6 mil, according to FFP we would have made a profit of 6 million minus his 1 year amortisation cost and salary. I think the combination of FFP and such accountancy can lead to the high turnover of players. 

If we are going to be playing a back 3 with wing backs either side, then I'd prefer to go with this...

Right WB: De Laet & Bree as back up

Left WB: Joe Bryan & Mitch Clark as back up

Hutton would then act as further cover for both WB positions and the outside CB positions in the 3.

We could then realistically get rid of Taylor & Elmo.

Hutton, De Laet, Bree, Bryan, Taylor, Elmohamady; All could be considered 1st choice FBs in the championship.

Surely some will be offloaded, given Bruce's prior history I would say attempts to get De Laet transferred and Bree loaned. 

1 hour ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Given his age, I think he would be offered a 4-5 year deal. Regards FFP, when accounting the club would utilise the standard practice of amortisation. The fee, along with his salary, would be spread across the life of his contract, regardless of whether a fee was paid up front or not. Maybe there is more skullduggery to be have with the loaning methodology you have highlighted also.

Interestingly, if a player is sold, to my knowledge the full amount goes into the income column regardless of when or how the fee is paid. So for instance, if we purchased Bryan for 6 mil this season and sold him next for 6 mil, according to FFP we would have made a profit of 6 million minus his 1 year amortisation cost and salary. I think the combination of FFP and such accountancy can lead to the high turnover of players. 

We wouldn't, we would be converting a cash asset of £6m into a player asset of £6m which would depreciate over x years, we then post a loss of x in year 1 (his first years amortisation) and if we sold him for £6m the next year we would be selling an asset valued at £6m-year 1 amortisation so a profit of the first year's amortisation. 

I get what you are saying though. We would have an income of £6m but have lost an asset of £4.5m (assuming 4 years contract). So even selling him for £5m next year would show a profit in FFP terms.

I had been hoping that we would sign Barry Douglas who went to Leeds. I had guessed we could not afford to do that deal a few days ago, if we had wanted to. It seems we may have had Joe as a target back then and can now find more money for what is a younger alternative. Good news but I hope the money is being found from a source other than Spurs.  

6 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

We wouldn't, we would be converting a cash asset of £6m into a player asset of £6m which would depreciate over x years, we then post a loss of x in year 1 (his first years amortisation) and if we sold him for £6m the next year we would be selling an asset valued at £6m-year 1 amortisation so a profit of the first year's amortisation. 

I get what you are saying though. We would have an income of £6m but have lost an asset of £4.5m (assuming 4 years contract). So even selling him for £5m next year would show a profit in FFP terms.

Yes it wouldn't be a profit in real terms. However, I don't believe cash flow will be a problem with our owners, rather remaining within the restraints of FFP  

Â