Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

"Lads were the **** is Nyland, we have a contract to agree, and medical to take care of, games tomorrow and we got shit we need to be taking care of in addition to transfers."

"......he's off playing Golf with Thor."

Second player to be seen with the club before anything is confirmed. At least it means Xia and his emoji tweets have been silenced. 

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

It’s not the Bruce thread so I won’t go on about it, but I’m so sick of this ‘he only like old players’ rubbish. He’s only signed 3 over 30s as far as I can remember; Whelan, Samba (one year contract) and John Terry! 

Anyway... I know I’m wasting my time! 

I think you are right, he hasn't bought that many over 30 players, but his teams to tend to be older. He tends to talk a lot about the Championship being a "man's league" and the need for players who can stand up to the physical challenge. 

The team last season tended to be players 26 or older: Hutton, Terry, Chester, Elmo, Jedi, Hourihane, Adomah, Snoddy, Grabban. The exceptions being Jack and Johnstone. He also gave Davis a decent run of games but I think that was down to injuries and the fact he's a big lad. 

For the record, I'm on the fence when it comes to Bruce. I think he's a decent manager at this level but the game is moving fast and I don't think he's keeping up. The same could be said about Mourinhio. (Not that I'm comparing the two.) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Nearly isn’t 30 though is it? 

Edit: I know I’m wasting my time and I won’t change anyone’s mind. I still think it’s rubbish though :) 

It's irrelevant if they are 30 or 29. The point is he signed a lot of players who have little to no sell on value. Also the ones Bruce did sign with sale value are worth less than we paid as he never plays them. Everything he does squashes the smallest shoots of growth in the club. He is like a dementor from Harry Potter ?

• Like 2

I think it was a club decision to sign players who have "been there and done it, and could handle playing for Villa."

I think it was the right decision, and it paid off last year, at home especially. It was a world away from the shit the bed the second the crowd groans performances of the last 5 years... but some of the contracts handed out have been awful.

• Like 2

i don't think its so much age i think he likes leaders in his team, there's then the potential to knock him and say its because he likes others to take on some of the responsibility (a criticism RDM got) 

but i agree about the type of players that are seemingly his preference being a unsustainable business model, if we had won the playoffs we would need a ridiculous overhaul of the squad, comparable to the one we had when we got relegated, the majority of them arent good enough for where we want to be but more worryingly arent going to get better either, when we were talking about selling players to meet FFP we were talking about 1 player being profitable out of how many post relegation signings? (i know they're not all bruce...) that cant continue, our aim cant be to have a 10 out 10 in shift upon promotion, that's madness, buy young, give them games to develop at this level so they are ready for the PL when it comes, basically buy players on the same development curve as jack grealish

3 hours ago, Herman22 said:

Just read this at the bottom of an article on the BHam Mail from SB:

"As for John (Terry), that won't be happening. The owners want young, aggressive, hungry players with things to prove. That’s their vision."

I can't see SB sticking around too long if this is the vision of the owners?

I'm all for bringing our young players into the squad this season but I think having an experienced older head alongside them (although not too many of them) can help them settle into first team football. I would personally like to have JT back for another season. We need a centre half after all and his reading of the game along with his presence and the partnership he built alongside Chester compensates for his lack of pace for me. 

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Just now, John said:

I'm all for bringing our young players into the squad this season but I think having an experienced older head alongside them (although not too many of them) can help them settle into first team football. I would personally like to have JT back for another season. We need a centre half after all and his reading of the game along with his presence compensates for his lack of pace for me. 

I agree, we need a good balance of youthful energy and experienced heads who have match craft. The Man Utd, you don’t win anything with kids team had experienced heads amongst them.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Like stopping that run of 4 wins in about 50 games and almost getting us promoted while apparently reducing the wage bill? Sorry to bring this up as other people do. I think people would stop reacting so much if there wasn't so much hyperbolic stuff written (maybe you were exaggerating?!).

I actually had forgotten that run of form. That was a dark time, worse than losing the play-off final

3 hours ago, Herman22 said:

Just read this at the bottom of an article on the BHam Mail from SB:

"As for John (Terry), that won't be happening. The owners want young, aggressive, hungry players with things to prove. That’s their vision."

Young and hungry with something to prove? I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before... 

Young and hungry under Lerner was about being as cheap as possible not really anything else nothing to do with the quality of the players, this is where recruitment is vital otherwise you end up with a lot of duds (see Bowery for example) probably why we are in touch with agents. 

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Tammy Abraham on the bench for Chelsea, do we think they will keep hold of him this season and integrate him into the first team?

No. They don't even know the meaning of integrating players into the first team.

6 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Young and hungry under Lerner was about being as cheap as possible not really anything else nothing to do with the quality of the players, this is where recruitment is vital otherwise you end up with a lot of duds (see Bowery for example) probably why we are in touch with agents. 

Simon Dawkins was the most random deal of them all

Oh and Yacouba Sylla who has somehow played for Panathinaikos but is Belgium 2nd division now

• Like 1

Â