Axel Tuanzebe

alreadyexists

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Surprised nobody is discussing the role he played when he came on….

Dean knew Newcastle was just going to lump it forward over and over again. Smart decision but wouldn't read much else into it. 

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

you mean the DM role?

Yeh, I found it interesting he came on there even though Marvellous was on the bench. But as others have said it was probably just a one off because of his height. 

He seems to meet the criteria needed to be that DM we are all craving though ;)

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeh, I found it interesting he came on there even though Marvellous was on the bench. But as others have said it was probably just a one off because of his height. 

He seems to meet the criteria needed to be that DM we are all craving though ;)

i imagine that was to help a) defensively, but also b) aerially, they had brought Joelinton on and i imagine he just wanted some defensive power in there, but also a little bit of height to counter late long balls/crossing etc, and ye....Axel isnt tall i know, but he's taller than Nakamba!

Just now, turvontour said:

Where did he play when he came on?

Replaced Douglas. It was very late in game so I never got a real chance to see how he set up though.  

Bought on in front of Nakamba in that defensive role. I can see him playing quite a few games this season especially as a DM. I'm sure he has played there quite a few times growing up and he was always a ball playing defender. Imagine us last season, beating burnley and bringing this guy on to sure up the defence/Midfield. 

1 hour ago, Jbvilla909 said:

Remember Mings was predominantly a LB before he came to us and Smith said he always seen him as a CB, maybe he thinks the same about Axel at DM?

Hopefully mate. Would love him to shield that back 4. Not sure if he’s good enough on the ball to do it, but his physical stature lends itself to the role. 

Bloody love Axel.

On 12/01/2018 at 19:52, tommybread said:

I've watched Axel for many years through the u18/19/21/23s and now his few first team appearances. His best position is easily at CB, he is a CB. He has and can play at RB and DM but he is a CB. He is absolutely rapid and has pretty good strength. Stand out attribute is his composure and calmness at the back, good on the ball and a smart defender. Biggest weakness is easily his aerial ability which he is a bit weak at. A common trend I've been noticing in quite a few young CBs and STs for that matter coming through the top academies. 

He definitely needs some game time as he just isn't getting it at United. What do you lads reckon, is there spots there for him to get regular play or will he just be used as backup to cover when in need? Really hoping he can go somewhere he can play regularly. Hopefully at CB, but just play time anywhere his vital for him right now. 

As Tommy said back in 2018 he can play DM. And in my opinion he’s a good ball play ring CB so could easily adapt to DM.

56 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Hopefully mate. Would love him to shield that back 4. Not sure if he’s good enough on the ball to do it, but his physical stature lends itself to the role. 

Bloody love Axel.

We can only go off when he played for us I guess, playing 3.5 games for manure is a tough gauge

2 hours ago, Jbvilla909 said:

Remember Mings was predominantly a LB before he came to us and Smith said he always seen him as a CB, maybe he thinks the same about Axel at DM?

I don’t think so it was just him bringing a extra defender on to see out the win plus Axel needed some minutes

I glad see him play DM/CM defensive to develop this as I like someone who can drop become 3 backline (5 backline) make tactical change easy during games and push full back to forward overload wide to past defend and cross in or carried ball into box to free space to threat

523 or 3421, 343, 541, 5312 (sub Baliey if he tired) if get axel drop Into 3 centre half.or push in so Buendia can play advanced roles 

4231, 4123, 433, 4411, 4312 (sub Bailey if he tried)

Plenty of flexibility that why I fan CM who can play as CH.

Doubt he is good enough with the ball to be starting games at DCM/midfield but late in the games if we are defending a lead it might work in a pinch. 

From what I remember of the last time he was here his biggest weakness as a CB was his aerial ability but hopefully he's improved that since then.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Doubt he is good enough with the ball to be starting games at DCM/midfield but late in the games if we are defending a lead it might work in a pinch. 

From what I remember of the last time he was here his biggest weakness as a CB was his aerial ability but hopefully he's improved that since then.

I agree.

He certainly wasn't great at RB when Bruce was playing him there as he struggled to get forward/play the ball.  Not helped, I'm sure, by having Jedi inside him at CB!!

Equally, I am not sure we should be looking to develop his game in an area of the pitch that is crucial to us when he will make mistakes there as he learns and we won't necessarily benefit from his learning longer term as he is only on loan with no option to buy.

Great as a third/fourth choice CB that could also allow us to switch to a three at the back if needed but, as much as I like Axel as well, I wouldn't look beyond this at this stage. 

• Like 1

Â