The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

It needs to come back to the man on the pitch and his assistants having control of the game. It's just a pure cop out now. Think we'll all agree before this came in you might have a blatant and obvious error a ref or lino would make on a Saturday and you'd be stewing for a day or 2 but then you'd be looking forward to the next game. It's just absolute joyless now. They've taken the greatest and most exciting sport in the world and made a complete hash of it. When fellas are getting goals chalked off for having a hand or elbow offside, we may as well wrap it up and call it a day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

Another late equaliser that I didnt celebrate. Similarly to how I didnt cheer when Konsa scored on Saturday. Just wait patiently until restart to celebrate.

This is only for about two thirds of goals by the way. I was always going to cheer grealish goal tonight. Perfect example of type of goal not impacted by this farce.

You say that but I was pretty confident in celebrating the Mcginn goal at Arsenal and that got chalked off by VAR. Every time any incident happens now I find myself waiting for VAR confirmation to be honest. It’s putting me off football pretty quickly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

As far as the league is concerned clear and obvious is irrelevant with reference to offside. Offside is considered a matter of fact as far as they are concerned therefore there's no argument for clear and obvious error - or, perhaps, it's best to think that the league considers offside to ALWAYS be a case of clear and obvious error and must be checked.

The problem is completely the extent to which a very old rule created to stop goal hanging is being taken. Either the rule has to change, or VAR's application to it has to. The use imaginary arbitrary lines to measure miniscule, irrelevant levels of offside is completely absurd.

Before VAR I never remember the offside rule being so harsh.  I've said about a million times that as long as an attacker has any part of his body in line then he should be onside.  I always thought that was what the offside rule was before all this bollocks came in.  Whose decision was it to make it even harder to score goals?  Absolute **** muppet whoever it was.  I'm pretty glad I was working tonight rather than having to suffer that dogshit live, I swear we must have had more than our fair share of bad calls, only the Nyland incident springs to mind as going in our favour.

The main issue with VAR is that its a talking point nearly EVERY game, before was maybe 3 or 4 bad decisions per week from the but now we are pushing 30 a week. Its a disgrace and mike Riley should be sacked

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

There's no team I dislike enough to wish that decision, in stoppage time, on them.

Absolute dog muck.

Someone mentioned in the match thread quite early on that we’d have a winning goal disallowed by VAR in injury time. It wasn’t a winning goal but was a good prediction.

Football is now like watching a really predictable film. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The main issue with VAR is that its a talking point nearly EVERY game, before was maybe 3 or 4 bad decisions per week from the but now we are pushing 30 a week. Its a disgrace and mike Riley should be sacked

Before people still got upset by bad decisions, but you knew that it was a split second call by the ref so a level of it being understandable.

Now they carve up the game in the pursuit of being right, and it’s still not right. We have the pain without the gain.

Lets go back to how it was. I know we’ll (football fans) still moan when the ref gets it wrong but at least it’s spontaneous.

Just feels as if all common sense has been removed, they hide behind a still picture that tells nothing of context. For example look at the body position, and why hes in it.

If they check for offside they need to check for everything.

It's a mess!

Never thought it was possible but it's been even worse than last season.  Think there's have been a riot by now with fans in the stadiums.  Maybe that's needed.

Edited by Wainy316

6 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Before VAR I never remember the offside rule being so harsh.  I've said about a million times that as long as an attacker has any part of his body in line then he should be onside.  I always thought that was what the offside rule was before all this bollocks came in.  Whose decision was it to make it even harder to score goals?  Absolute **** muppet whoever it was.  I'm pretty glad I was working tonight rather than having to suffer that dogshit live, I swear we must have had more than our fair share of bad calls, only the Nyland incident springs to mind as going in our favour.

It was invented waaay back to stop attackers goalhanging.  If the people who invented it saw the mess it's in today, they'd be horrified. 

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Reminder that this was given as a pen against us last season too

EoI9NazW4AAfNwh?format=jpg&name=medium

No idea of the rules tbh

To be fair they have specifically changed the rules for handball this season so that is at least explainable.

They've made them worse or anything, but at least it corresponds to the laws.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair they have specifically changed the rules for handball this season so that is at least explainable.

They've made them worse or anything, but at least it corresponds to the laws.

it's still not handball though by any measure of the rules though is it?

A ref with a monitor and multiple angles has looked at that and said it's hit his arm.

It just demonstrates the issue isn't with the tech, it's with the idiots behind it who 1) aren't competent enough 2) too stubborn to acknowledge they aren't competent enough

10 hours ago, turvontour said:

This is only for about two thirds of goals by the way. I was always going to cheer grealish goal tonight. Perfect example of type of goal not impacted by this farce.

You say that, but they could always pull it back for a 'foul' at the other end of the pitch 30 seconds ago that nobody cared about. It's happened plenty of times.

10 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Absolute bollocks.

Cowards, **** off.

Absolutely no transparency or accountability.

I'd bet my house on them not even noticing or checking for the foul when watching that replay. If we could hear what the refs were saying like in Rugby, then there'd be some transparency and they wouldn't be able to lie like this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Agree with this. I'm tired of it dominating every game. Was better when there was just the odd howler to discuss. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blunther said:

Absolutely no transparency or accountability.

I'd bet my house on them not even noticing or checking for the foul when watching that replay. If we could hear what the refs were saying like in Rugby, then there'd be some transparency and they wouldn't be able to lie like this.

Whats the odds if that was against United they would have given that penalty?

Its a **** joke and im sick of it

Â