The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Just saw a bit of that Mic'd up, talking about the Declan rRce penalty. Howard Webb is starting to sound like a man trying desperately to keep his job. Bigging up Micheal Oliver as one of the best Refs in the world, but he wasn't even able to call the foul right in front of his face without VAR intervening. 

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The VAR audio for the 3rd forest pen shout was an absolute disgrace. 

Perfect according to Webb, there lies your problem. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

No matter what you think about VAR we absolutely need the VAR offside check with how we play. 

I'll be interested to see how accurate and reliable the semi-automatic offside trial in next season's Premier League will be.

Currently assistant referees don't flag any offside that isn't totally obvious. Yes if that phase leads to a goal, the offside offence overrules the goal, but the undeclared offside doesn't prevent a corner being given or an unnecessary injury to a keeper.

Given the way we play it could be a huge help.

23 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

The VAR audio for the 3rd forest pen shout was an absolute disgrace. 

As I've said many times, the VAR audio is **** chaos. If the ref and the VAR were allowed to have an actual conversation then that pen would have been given.

The ref says the player got the ball, the VAR justifies the no penalty with a completely different rationale.

Just let them look at the screen more and have a conversation

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

As I've said many times, the VAR audio is **** chaos. If the ref and the VAR were allowed to have an actual conversation then that pen would have been given.

The ref says the player got the ball, the VAR justifies the no penalty with a completely different rationale.

Just let them look at the screen more and have a conversation

They gave up, as no one wanted to overule Oliver. 

As for the conversation, I have no idea how your supposed to carry on with reffereeing the game with that noise in your ear for another 2 minutes. It's just sounds like background noise in a pub.

31 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They gave up, as no one wanted to overule Oliver. 

As for the conversation, I have no idea how your supposed to carry on with reffereeing the game with that noise in your ear for another 2 minutes. It's just sounds like background noise in a pub.

That’s why they should just stop for an incident like that for 30 seconds to make sure it’s right. 

Watch another sport and the video ref interactions are so calm and clear. They use specific language to make sure things don’t get confused. 

VAR is just **** chaos. No wonder they get it wrong all the time

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That’s why they should just stop for an incident like that for 30 seconds to make sure it’s right. 

Watch another sport and the video ref interactions are so calm and clear. They use specific language to make sure things don’t get confused. 

VAR is just **** chaos. No wonder they get it wrong all the time

This 100%

Webb is to blame, looks the part, thinks he's the bollecks, but he is just another ole skool ref who has not really moved with the times.

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Struggling to remember a goal that was given offside being reversed before 

They want a Greek team in the final.

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Struggling to remember a goal that was given offside being reversed before 

pretty sure we had one this season as well. Maybe Watkins at Luton

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Did our “goal” before Olympiacos scored get checked? Couldn’t see at the ground what is ruled out for 

Bailey goal? Was a push by Lenglet

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

It was soft and no way enough to send him to ground but there was definitley something there, completely needless too 

There was way more in the Bailey non penalty challenge....... but that was just waved away.

1 minute ago, jimmygreaves said:

There was way more in the Bailey non penalty challenge....... but that was just waved away.

And the commentators claimed it wasn't even reviewed. If that's true we need to be kicking up a proper shitstorm about it

That Bailey one was right in front of me and didn’t look a penalty in any way shape or form to be honest. I didn’t even appeal it. 

Could be wrong, I haven’t seen replays. But didn’t look a pen to me

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That Bailey one was right in front of me and didn’t look a penalty in any way shape or form to be honest. I didn’t even appeal it. 

I’d say from the replays it wouldn’t be a shock to be given. Legs were tangled. The fact it didn’t even trigger a review by VAR was bizarre.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It was a real weird one.  The defender wins the ball to poke it away but then seemed to make a second movement with his leg across Bailey which sent them both flying.

Should've been a penalty IMO.

• Like 2

Â