The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is in the NFL and I don't love it.

What I think we need is a system like cricket, where the 'umpire's call' is the margin of error.

If a decision is made on field, there needs to be compelling evidence provided by the VAR in order to overturn it. And this does not include drawing **** lines on the screen to check offside. If you can see the offside, then it's offside.

Exactly. It's so **** simple.

Get rid of the absolute howlers. No one cares about the marginal, they tend to balance out (in favour of Man U in truth, but that's no different to VAR either).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's certainly my plan. Though I look forward to PL crowds returning and hope for wall to wall chants of "VAR is **** shit" throughout every televised game. 

This. I was thinking this in bed last night, I'd love it if, after a couple of games of full crowds to get past the novelty, fans of every club could agree to just sing '**** VAR' for the entirety of every game for a couple of weeks. No more fake crowd noise, just wall-to-wall rebellion from every fanbase.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blunther said:

This. I was thinking this in bed last night, I'd love it if, after a couple of games of full crowds to get past the novelty, fans of every club could agree to just sing '**** VAR' for the entirety of every game for a couple of weeks. No more fake crowd noise, just wall-to-wall rebellion from every fanbase.

Or people could vote with their feet. Cancel Sky subscription and don't go to games until they scrap it. Its like having a  strike. 

31 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

There needs to be a scrutiny attached. We need pitchside mics like rugby.

If you're disallowing a goal there needs to be a rationale published.

They don't want the scrutiny of their incompetence.

It would be hard to mic the refs up like in rugby without picking up the bad language from the players as there is zero respect for refs in football.  Cricket just have the third umpire talking so I guess that could work.

The other option to get our football back and stop this farce is to put it in the hands of the teams/players like in cricket or tennis. Each side gets the chance to challenge one of the refs decision per game. If the ref was wrong they keep it and can challenge another decision if he was right then they lose it. 

Then players really need to be sure if the ref has made a howler or not. 

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It would be hard to mic the refs up like in rugby without picking up the bad language from the players as there is zero respect for refs in football.  Cricket just have the third umpire talking so I guess that could work.

Yeah, I'd rather avoid that. We need to hear the conversation between the ref and Stockley Park at the point of the monitor review, that's all. They need scrutiny.

2 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I cant understand,what is the point of having a ref,two linesmen and a fourth official if they are going to be over-ruled by VAR.Might as well cut out the middle man and just have VAR. 

No refs on the pitch could be chaos. Put Sir Killalot in there to keep order while VAR runs the game. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I hate the idea of “challenges” being referred to VAR. It’ll get used tactically to disrupt games.

Go back to how it was. It wasn’t perfect but I don’t think perfect exists.

If you limit challenges, you avoid that issue. But at this point, I’d happily agree to scrap it all together.

45 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

It really bothers me that a bunch of simple morons on the internet like ourselves can come up with multiple solutions that would all be a dramatic improvement on the system put in place by alleged professionals. Forgive the sarcasm, but it’s almost as if the fans care more about the game than they do. 

cut it out smh GIF by Bounce

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Chindie said:

A challenges system doesn't solve anything, it just adds another tactical consideration and still will end up with crap decisions being made.

I don’t think that’s necessarily the case, but the main is to reduce the influence VAR has on the game. If you keep it, don’t use it unless there is genuine controversy and doubt on the ground. 

The problem with something like offside is that there's always a margin.  If you rule it as "daylight", where does "daylight" become "not daylight"?  Those moments of minutia are always going to exist - as frustrating as they are.  Even if you give a margin of error of 10cm, you have those really tight calls.

My issue with last night is that there's no common sense around what the purpose of offside is.  It was brought in to stop goal hanging.  If someone is gaining a clear advantage by being offside then it's offside.  If they aren't, then they aren't offside.  e.g:  Barkley standing within Leno's eyesight didn't give any advantage as a shot was blasted into the roof of the net.  Bamford having his arm offside to show where he wants the ball to be played isn't giving him an advantage.  Nobody wants that nonsense.

(Unpopular opinion but I didn't think it was a foul by Ogbonna.  However, his action directly leads to Watkins needing to move his arms to shrug him off.  Ogbonna has caused the advantage, not Watkins.  Not offside.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I hate the idea of “challenges” being referred to VAR. It’ll get used tactically to disrupt games.

Go back to how it was. It wasn’t perfect but I don’t think perfect exists.

I like the idea and you obviously ban stuff like throw ins and free kicks disputed on halfway line with about 5 minutes left as likes of Mourinho would exploit that for sure.

Would be just penalties and fouls/offsides like now.

When you look at plenty of the goals being disallowed and penalties being given there isn't much appealing for half of them although perhaps teams would just appeal for anything then in the box.

One way around it is two challenges but if team gets one challenge wrong e.g. frivolous appeal they aren't allowed to use their second challenge given it's wasted time.

Or the simple common sense approach is just to get the ref to come down to look at monitor like they do now for most penalties. It should happen given a goal has actually been scored whereas that's no guarentee with a penalty as we showed.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

(Unpopular opinion but I didn't think it was a foul by Ogbonna.  However, his action directly leads to Watkins needing to move his arms to shrug him off.  Ogbonna has caused the advantage, not Watkins.  Not offside.)

Either action lead to a goal/penalty. The fact we came away with neither is staggering.

Â