The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Seen it again. Watkins is away, Ogbonna pulls him back and pushes him offside. 

VAR didnt even check the foul. They checked for a minuscule offside, and missed a blatant penalty. 

I'm done. 

It really is impossible to understand how paid professional referees can look at that footage long enough to determine Watkins’ sleeve is off by a hair, but not spot the very visible arms around his freaking neck. 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So @Stevo985 i clicked on the opening of this thread you were a strong advocat of it. Do you still feel this way? Not picking on you, generally asking as you were one really in favour of it. So i would like to see if you still feel the same?

For me VAR has absolutely killed the game. Its just not fun anymore. Its a **** disaster.

I’ll answer this as I was also a strong advocate of it. The way it is being used is ridiculously bad in the Premier League. This issue is not replicated in other leagues. We had a whole World Cup where VAR didn’t cause these issues.

I’d get rid of it now but not because I am against VAR but because I am against the way that they are using VAR in this country.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So @Stevo985 i clicked on the opening of this thread you were a strong advocat of it. Do you still feel this way? Not picking on you, generally asking as you were one really in favour of it. So i would like to see if you still feel the same?

For me VAR has absolutely killed the game. Its just not fun anymore. Its a **** disaster.

As someone who wanted VAR,  I still want it in the sport, but PGMOL need to be binned off, get rid of all of them and start again. Give some rugby refs a crash course in the rules of football. Anything but get rid of PGMOL.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Nope. Scrap it. 

It’s the rules that are the problem to Be honest. The handball rules and offside rules Aren’t fit for purpose. They shouldn’t be using lines. Just review the video and if it’s level it’s on. 

VAR is good for some things. I think for reviewing red cards and penalties it’s fine. It’s added to the game. 

But the handballs and particularly the offsides is an absolute farce. 

There’s a place for video technology but the current application is appalling and not fit for purpose. The offsides in particular are ruining the game. 

this. it could be used properly but the reality of it all is that it just isn't. while it isn't I would rather have it completely killed off.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Nope. Scrap it. 

It’s the rules that are the problem to Be honest. The handball rules and offside rules Aren’t fit for purpose. They shouldn’t be using lines. Just review the video and if it’s level it’s on. 

VAR is good for some things. I think for reviewing red cards and penalties it’s fine. It’s added to the game. 

But the handballs and particularly the offsides is an absolute farce. 

There’s a place for video technology but the current application is appalling and not fit for purpose. The offsides in particular are ruining the game. 

I agree with all of that stevo.  Respect to you for your honest opinion as you was a strong advocate for it.

But the whole concept is a mess. It just doesnt work and is killing everyones love of the game. Its as unpopular as nigel farage

3 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I’ll answer this as I was also a strong advocate of it. The way it is being used is ridiculously bad in the Premier League. This issue is not replicated in other leagues. We had a whole World Cup where VAR didn’t cause these issues.

I’d get rid of it now but not because I am against VAR but because I am against the way that they are using VAR in this country.

I dont watch rugby whats the difference in the way they use it?

The arrogance in just keeping it like it is, after all the controversy and obvious faults, is also quite staggering. Who are these people in charge of football and how do we get rid of them?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, penguin said:

Just seen a comment on BBC that the Eredivisie uses thicker lines for that margin of error I quite like the idea for offsides, GKs off their line etc.

Something needs to change.

Offside isnt even the point here. He is offside because he's being fouled and it wasnt even checked. 

9 minutes ago, a-k said:

VAR = word removed x1000

Watkins.thumb.jpg.fa5afc192955a452751b5f1da17c5420.jpg

More of a penalty than last week and this week agains Trez (both were also penalties). The fact that this isn't even looked at is a damn joke. Would it not then be an obvious error that the referee missed the penalty? Unless they are only checking on the most marginal of offsides. They are literally moving the lines when they see fit.

The officials using at are not fit for purpose. Utter joke.

Â