The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Just have the same officials doing VAR its a decent paid job for a few hours a week at least you would then get a consistent decision.

Scrap the lines if you look level then so be it.  Don't tell me those lines mean anything when there is no way you can guarantee the pause button is used at the exact moment the ball leaves a players foot. 

Edited by S-Platt
  • Like 1

It's really simple for me, forget all the issues about consistency or application, if you can't celebrate a goal anymore then football is dead.

Since it came in, when was the last time you really celebrated a goal?! We're waiting for it to be checked and that initial buzz of a goal has faded. I hate it.

If it must stay, replays should be watched once at full speed and if it's not clear and obvious error from that then the game should be left uninterrupted. We'd go from 3 or 4 VAR checks a game to 3 or 4 in a game week.

Personally I'd scrap it, football should be the same rules from grassroots to Premier League.

• Like 3

I watched the Rugby League Grand Final on Friday. They had a try ruled off for offside and used the video ref to check it.

It's exactly how it should be done here. Went to the video ref, he looked at the best angle and decided it WAS offside and the on field decision stood.

He didn't need to draw lines.

That's how it should be here imo. I think the linesmen should make the decision. Video ref looks at it and if it isn't obvious that the decision is wrong then it stands. You can have the line that's easy to draw on the last defender as an indicator, but do it by eye.

If a video ref can't tell by just looking at it then it's not clear enough to overrule the officials. That's how it should be handled.

• Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 22:48, jackbauer24 said:

Personally I'd scrap it, football should be the same rules from grassroots to Premier League.

I don't disagree with scraping it (in it's current form) but I don't agree with that logic. With that logic we shouldn't have 4th officials or linesmen or goalline technology

I’ve never understood why there isn’t a system in football so that match officials are ex-players.

Obviously your elite players aren’t going to be interested but for your average League two player who’s coming up to retirement would it not be attractive for them? They’ll instantly get more respect from fans, players, staff and pundits and are far more likely to come to the correct conclusions having played the game for x amount of time.

Likewise players whose careers are cut short by injury, they should be the officials not some arsehole who’s wanted to do it since being a kid, for me, the kind of person who wants to be a ref is the same kind of person who joins the police.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’ve never understood why there isn’t a system in football so that match officials are ex-players.

Obviously your elite players aren’t going to be interested but for your average League two player who’s coming up to retirement would it not be attractive for them? They’ll instantly get more respect from fans, players, staff and pundits and are far more likely to come to the correct conclusions having played the game for x amount of time.

Likewise players whose careers are cut short by injury, they should be the officials not some arsehole who’s wanted to do it since being a kid, for me, the kind of person who wants to be a ref is the same kind of person who joins the police.

The amount of abuse that referees get is utterly shameful - anyone who WANTS to do that job gets a massive load of respect from me.

• Like 2

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Same can be said of police, hence why they tend to be of the same mould in my unqualified view.

Oh, I thought you were basing this on a characteristic - "the same kind of person".  Just someone who loves being abused then?  I guess maybe that qualifies your use of arsehole.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Oh, I thought you were basing this on a characteristic - "the same kind of person".  Just someone who loves being abused then?  I guess maybe that qualifies your use of arsehole.

Edit - I’m an idiot 

Edited by bannedfromHandV

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don't really get this argument to be honest. Referees are trained to make decisions in line with the rules. They then work their way up through the lower leagues with promotion and relegation to higher and lower tiers. Its a pretty simple system designed to reward the better referees and to ensure that the best referees are at the top of the game.

Do referees make mistakes? Yes, as anybody would do. I find the idea that someone who has played the game would be more likely to make correct decisions than somebody who has been trained specifically to make right decisions a bit odd and often a bit of a throwaway comment said by football pundits. 

To call referees "some arsehole who's wanted to do it" also seems indicative of the issue that we have with referees. Why is it OK for referees to take abuse because of incorrect decisions made with genuine intentions? Could it be that people who would be very good referees are put off by the fact that they have to take abuse whilst trying to do their job from players, managers, fans and anybody else who fancies piling in on them?

52 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I don't really get this argument to be honest. Referees are trained to make decisions in line with the rules. They then work their way up through the lower leagues with promotion and relegation to higher and lower tiers. Its a pretty simple system designed to reward the better referees and to ensure that the best referees are at the top of the game.

Do referees make mistakes? Yes, as anybody would do. I find the idea that someone who has played the game would be more likely to make correct decisions than somebody who has been trained specifically to make right decisions a bit odd and often a bit of a throwaway comment said by football pundits. 

To call referees "some arsehole who's wanted to do it" also seems indicative of the issue that we have with referees. Why is it OK for referees to take abuse because of incorrect decisions made with genuine intentions? Could it be that people who would be very good referees are put off by the fact that they have to take abuse whilst trying to do their job from players, managers, fans and anybody else who fancies piling in

I honestly think sometimes referees don’t get football, they don’t get the ebb and flow and they don’t get what is or isn’t malicious/intentional, I believe people who have played the game for a long time have a better feel for it rather than someone who has spent their time in a classroom being taught by someone else who was trained in a classroom.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

There’s nothing to stop them doing it so I assume it’s not that attractive. I think coaching is much more appealing.

It’s a dreadful system. I’m not sure how it’s not a penalty before the offside either as the defender is absolutely all over him.

I don’t know about everybody else but the reason I watch football is to watch loads of lines being drawn on the screen for over 2 minutes. 

• Like 2

Â