The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Before VAR, nobody gives a **** about that goal. That goal isn't the thing that people wanted to have 'fixed' in the game. They wanted to complete howlers fixed. They didn't want goals ruled out after 3 minutes of a bloke shifting some lines about until he can work out if a guys eyebrows were offside.

100% this.

my preference would be to just get rid at this point. But assuming FIFA/uefa won’t be that sensible I’d give them 30 sec to identify a howler. If they can’t decide in that time the original decision stands. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Before VAR, nobody gives a **** about that goal. That goal isn't the thing that people wanted to have 'fixed' in the game. They wanted to complete howlers fixed. They didn't want goals ruled out after 3 minutes of a bloke shifting some lines about until he can work out if a guys eyebrows were offside.

This is bang on. It’s what I’ve thought of a lot of these overturned penalty decisions recently. If there was no VAR then for me nobody would complain about that goal today, Trezeguet’s penalty last week and the penalty that Albion had overturned against United.

On the other hand if the ball into the box hadn’t reached Watkins then there would have been questions as to why the penalty wasn’t given for ogbonna jumping all over him.

People wanted blatant mistakes like the foul on Watkins eradicated but didn’t want millimetre offsides or penalties which have always been penalties being overturned. It’s not doing what it’s designed to do.

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A few people have posted tonight that they don't want to watch anymore, and I'm at the same point. Maybe I'll cave by the next game, we'll see, but eight now, I'm much more excited about going to watch a random non league game than I am about turning up at VP again. They're ruining the game.

Another late equaliser that I didnt celebrate. Similarly to how I didnt cheer when Konsa scored on Saturday. Just wait patiently until restart to celebrate.

This is only for about two thirds of goals by the way. I was always going to cheer grealish goal tonight. Perfect example of type of goal not impacted by this farce.

You either need to change the rule wholesale, going to the daylight idea, or you need to change the way VAR approaches offside. Something like either VAR being limited to a second opinion call only with no pissing about with imaginary lines and freeze frames for minutes at a time, or have a built in margin of error in the VAR lines.

This pissing about trying to get a complely irrelevant level of accuracy is absurd.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Introduce a time limit on the decision making times - 3 minutes is an absolute joke. I say around 30 seconds and if you can’t make your mind up in that time it’s quite clearly not clear and obvious. So the decision on the field stands whatever it is. 

I would revert back to what I seem to remember at the world cup

Something happens, VAR ref says to the main ref "you might want to take a look at that" the main ref takes a look on the monitor, makes a decision

Not a clue when these lines came in to it, really don't remember them from any of the trial stuff

• Like 1

The Norwegian league doesn’t have VAR (yet) and, as all teams do, my team have been on the wrong end of a couple of horrible refereeing decisions over the course of the season. Compared to the nightmare that is the PL VAR, I’ll take those in-the-moment errors any day, over the willing destruction of the intented spirit of the game. As a football fan, to whom football means more than it probably should, it hurts every cell of my body. 

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more Michelsen, I'll take a mistake made in the moment over this farce any day. Having said that, there appear to be any number of compromises. It's genuinely hard to imagine how they could make it any worse.

• Like 1

Would we be happy if it was decided after 20 seconds that it was an offside, but it was a foul and we got awarded a pen? 

I still strongly believe that this shit show is just poor refereeing, not a VAR problem. 

We always say as fans that we don't like to see players go down easily, but what's the benefit of staying on your feet? Olly has stayed on his feet despite being grappled by his knee, he's broken away from the foul, got ahead and scored. Now, because he's stayed on his feet, the action of breaking away from the defender has caused his sleeve to be offside.

I'd rather keep seeing our players go down soft if the alternative is this.

• Like 1

VAR is shit because of how poorly it is executed. Even with VAR the wrong decisions are being made, so what's the point of it.

What's the point of having people flagging for offside when you know that VAR will check it anyway?

This whole clear and obvious error shit is a joke as well. It took people seconds to clock that Watkins was fouled, but the VAR process was adamant that the offside needed to be scrutinised to within an inch of its life. Despite what horseshit statement was released, there is no way that VAR checked for a foul on Watkins.

It needs to be scrapped in its current guise and taken back to basics. Start with things like serious foul play and general shithousery.

I genuinely feel that, over the course of a season, the majority of clubs (Man Utd and Liverpool excluded) would get their fair share of good and bad ref calls without VAR.

The fact that you can still get a bad call, even with VAR, highlights exactly why it's a pile of wank.

I don’t understand how they measured from attackers elbow but defenders shoulder. 
I don’t understand how it’s not a pen.

I know longer understand football. One of the charms of football was that it’s simple, all you need is a ball. They are ruining it for everyone. 

The rules no longer make sense.

Neville on MNF was absolutely spot on about it

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I still strongly believe that this shit show is just poor refereeing, not a VAR problem. 

This is also very true.

VAR has been brought in with the purpose of stopping refs getting a load of flak. It's working, the focus is certainly not on the refs at the moment.

• Like 1

Â