The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nope. Scrap it. 

It’s the rules that are the problem to Be honest. The handball rules and offside rules Aren’t fit for purpose. They shouldn’t be using lines. Just review the video and if it’s level it’s on. 

VAR is good for some things. I think for reviewing red cards and penalties it’s fine. It’s added to the game. 

But the handballs and particularly the offsides is an absolute farce. 

There’s a place for video technology but the current application is appalling and not fit for purpose. The offsides in particular are ruining the game. 

i do think if the handball and offside rules got changed it would be a massive improvement. the offside should be the front foot, it's easy. someone else has said, make lines thicker, then there's more likelihood of striker being in line and therefore not offside. you'll always get that dodgy pen that we had overturned last weekend but then you get a soft one awarded like tonight, they even out

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Offside isnt even the point here. He is offside because he's being fouled and it wasnt even checked. 

Completely agree, VAR hasn't eliminated the human error it's just changing where it's taking place.

I'm talking about in general use, the laser precision they are trying to go with it its current form is causing nothing but negatives.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

More of a penalty than last week and this week agains Trez (both were also penalties). The fact that this isn't even looked at is a damn joke. Would it not then be an obvious error that the referee missed the penalty? Unless they are only checking on the most marginal of offsides. They are literally moving the lines when they see fit.

The officials using at are not fit for purpose. Utter joke.

they didn't check the pen. they were preoccupied with the offside lines IMO and missed it

I’m not convinced that the line drawing game that they play in Stockley Park is any more accurate than the linesman when the decisions are that close.

Im also not convinced that had somebody else been operating VAR that the lines would be drawn in the same place.

Just two more issues I have with that decision that is supposed to be levelling the playing field.

12 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

The guy who thought the fecking slide lines thing was a good idea to check for «clear and obvious errors» really needs to be sectioned.

As far as the league is concerned clear and obvious is irrelevant with reference to offside. Offside is considered a matter of fact as far as they are concerned therefore there's no argument for clear and obvious error - or, perhaps, it's best to think that the league considers offside to ALWAYS be a case of clear and obvious error and must be checked.

The problem is completely the extent to which a very old rule created to stop goal hanging is being taken. Either the rule has to change, or VAR's application to it has to. The use imaginary arbitrary lines to measure miniscule, irrelevant levels of offside is completely absurd.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

they didn't check the pen. they were preoccupied with the offside lines IMO and missed it

its like the Pickford/Van Dijk incident. The officials didnt even pay attention to the tackle as they were checking for offside. amateur hour

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

its like the Pickford/Van Dijk incident. The officials didnt even pay attention to the tackle as they were checking for offside. amateur hour

The foul happened before Targett even crossed it. They're being so anal about offside and other things, but aren't being thorough in what they check. It's a farce.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

As far as the league is concerned clear and obvious is irrelevant with reference to offside. Offside is considered a matter of fact as far as they are concerned therefore there's no argument for clear and obvious error - or, perhaps, it's best to think that the league considers offside to ALWAYS be a case of clear and obvious error and must be checked.

The problem is completely the extent to which a very old rule created to stop goal hanging is being taken. Either the rule has to change, or VAR's application to it has to. The use imaginary arbitrary lines to measure miniscule, irrelevant levels of offside is completely absurd.

That's the problem. Ultimately, VAR is making decisions where it's not needed. Reducing the game to metrics that nobody would ever use. We'd all accept where an obvious offside is ruled out. How can a system that takes 3 minutes, with no oversight, or pitch side discussion, be allowed? We don't even know which frame the referee looks at.

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

That's the problem. Ultimately, VAR is making decisions where it's not needed. Reducing the game to metrics that nobody would ever use. We'd all accept where an obvious offside is ruled out. How can a system that takes 3 minutes, with no oversight, or pitch side discussion, be allowed? We don't even know which frame the referee looks at.

That's the PL and a bit of Europe though

Its a different take to how fifa used it in the WC, the leagues are making a mess of it and I don't think it's 100% innocence as to why 

The PL want these lines and this rule

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

That's the PL and a bit of Europe though

Its a different take to how fifa used it in the WC, the leagues are making a mess of it and I don't think it's 100% innocence as to why 

The PL want these lines and this rule

I would say they don't want VAR scrutinising their decisions, so are making a farce of it on purpose.

1 minute ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I would say they don't want VAR scrutinising their decisions, so are making a farce of it on purpose.

And me 

As much as I didn't want VAR and want it scrapped now if you gave me the choice between the 2 I would keep VAR and overhaul PMGOL

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, penguin said:

Just seen a comment on BBC that the Eredivisie uses thicker lines for that margin of error I quite like the idea for offsides, GKs off their line etc.

Something needs to change.

They don’t even need it for that. For a penalty you’ve literally got a linesman stood on the line and his only job should be watching the keeper. If he can’t tell if a keeper is off his line then it’s not far enough to gain an advantage. 

You don’t need to measure that by **** millimetres

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And I think it was Henry winter in a piece last week that said they need to scrap "clear and obvious" from it all, that's blatantly not what they're doing, it just adds to the confusion and dislike of it all

Said this from the start. That just muddies the waters. It’s bollocks

A few people have posted tonight that they don't want to watch anymore, and I'm at the same point. Maybe I'll cave by the next game, we'll see, but eight now, I'm much more excited about going to watch a random non league game than I am about turning up at VP again. They're ruining the game.

Â