One For The Road

None of the ex-Villa players on show have looked out of place to be fair.

If Burnley hang on, this will be the first time in 54 matches where they’ve won after conceding first. 

They thoroughly deserve the win today - they’ve out ‘fat sammed’ Fat Sam allerdyce with two big lumps up front!

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Lowton's delivery has always been so impressive.

His lack of pace isn't too exposed in Burnley's compact system.

Yes this is correct. Burnley play a tight 4-4-2/4-4-4-1 so their right midfielder (think it's Gudmundsson) always tracks back and helps Lowton out.

In our 4-3-3 he was too exposed to other teams wingers. Shame as I thought with more coaching he could make a decent premier league player and he's proved that at Burnley.

Lowton was always a good footballer the 6-1 Sunderland game a perfect example.

As mentioned his protection was not so strong and that down to the manager at the time

On 3/3/2018 at 15:09, VillaChris said:

Yes this is correct. Burnley play a tight 4-4-2/4-4-4-1 so their right midfielder (think it's Gudmundsson) always tracks back and helps Lowton out.

In our 4-3-3 he was too exposed to other teams wingers. Shame as I thought with more coaching he could make a decent premier league player and he's proved that at Burnley.

Well no wonder they're doing so well - They're playing with 13 on the pitch :D

• 3 years later...

Nick Pope sitting in 4th place here for On-Ball Value excluding shots, assists and key passes.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This is really really interesting stuff from StatsBomb. 

They’ve started assigning On Ball Value to passes and actions which is a metric that enables you to measure the effectiveness of passes and actions that don’t directly lead to a goal. I.e. it’s a way of measuring “assisting the assist”

It adds context around why Grealish was worth so much while he played for us as he’s by far the best player in the league when it comes to this.

It will also provide us a nice baseline to measure how he’s performing this season after his move compared to last season without using goals and assists 

BF9838BA-BF98-498F-BE37-95FE3E9AB38B.webp

5168DCFE-13DF-469C-8DE6-F07518A0F960.webp

“Kick. Rush. Harm. Attack. And that’s the Burnley way.”

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Nick Pope sitting in 4th place here for On-Ball Value excluding shots, assists and key passes.

“Kick. Rush. Harm. Attack. And that’s the Burnley way.”

Yeah it's really interesting stuff. The OBV maps in that article are amazing as well. You really get a sense of where teams build their attacks from.

PLOBV.png?resize=1024,633&ssl=1

As the article says you can clearly see the Grealish area of the pitch for Villa, the Trent area of the pitch for Liverpool, that sort of in and around the box area that Man City always work it into; and then teams like Palace and Burnley who are more direct and hit teams from the back

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah it's really interesting stuff. The OBV maps in that article are amazing as well. You really get a sense of where teams build their attacks from.

PLOBV.png?resize=1024,633&ssl=1

As the article says you can clearly see the Grealish area of the pitch for Villa, the Trent area of the pitch for Liverpool, that sort of in and around the box area that Man City always work it into; and then teams like Palace and Burnley who are more direct and hit teams from the back

The number of keepers who are highlighted red is certainly eye opening. 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, sne said:

Thread was created 4 years ago and it's gotten just over 30 posts, including this one. Says it all really and it's still more posts than they deserve. Dire club.

The actual football they play aside, the club has a sort of olde world charm about them that I like. 

But the likes Blackburn Rovers, Preston North End and Bolton Wanderers have that far more and I’d sooner have them in the top flight in place of them.

• Like 2

I think they will go down. Today is probably bigger than 3 points, losing to a shower like Newcastle must hit the confidence hard. 

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Time has come and gone for them to actually evolve.

They've just not bothered.

Its why nobody higher will hire Dyche. Will be a Big Sam firefighter after this

Â