One For The Road

Couldn't see a thread on them but my word, what is going on up there?

4th in the Premier League. A league we are constantly told is a closed shop where only a select few can compete. 

Could someone who watches the Premier League explain how on Earth they have managed to get to Christmas in the European places?

(Don't they have Lowton and Westwood too!?)

Edited by One For The Road

Lowton's been really good for them.

In a tight 4-4-2 where he has plenty of cover from the wide player he is a decent full back at this level.

Westwood has played about 100 minutes...nothing to see there.

Just been really good at the back and actually played some good stuff at times this year. Will be interested if they fall away once they get past 40 points though as happens to many surprise packages.

Pleased for Burnley. I don’t see them maintaining it, but a solid top half finish is well within their grasp. 

If I’m being slightly mean I think their success is partly down to the poor standard of the premier league this season. But you can only beat who’s in front of you and I hope they continue their form, something likeable about them. 

Sidestepping the Westwood discussion (no good can come from that), I always liked Lowton. I know he had his limitations but I remember being slightly bemused at the time at his removal from the first team and Hutton coming back in from the cold. Especially as I seem to recall his form towards the end of his first season being decent.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, One For The Road said:

A league we are constantly told is a closed shop where only a select few can compete. 

It is a closed shop and only the select few can compete. There's always one surprise team that starts the season well and normally they tail off towards the end of the season. Wasn't it this time last year that West Brom were flying high in the league? Let's see where Burnley are at the end of the season.

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I hope they are putting in some serious research into who they plan to replace Dyche with, because he won't be there for much longer. Brilliant job.

Steve Bruce be a good choice :)

Impressive - get's the basics done well and has a team playing for him - as soon as it starts to break up either by losing more than a couple key players or the manager they risk struggling again, but at the moment, they've just gone quietly about it and added away success to their dependable home form. It helps that that are so spectacularly exceeding expectations there is zero pressure on them at all. Staying up will always normally be the target.  They'll fall away as the season goes on I think ( though we said that about Leicester ) as the intensity is hard to maintain but they've still got enough about them to compete for 7th. They're taking advantage most out of Everton's uselessness.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

It is a closed shop and only the select few can compete. There's always one surprise team that starts the season well and normally they tail off towards the end of the season. Wasn't it this time last year that West Brom were flying high in the league? Let's see where Burnley are at the end of the season.

But Burnley ARE competitive. Whether or not they stay there is of course another matter but they are in the Champions League positions nearly at the half way point. This indicates that the higher places in the league may not be as difficult to breach as they used to be. 

Look at Leicester just two years ago.

Its a false position though as the other teams have to play their game today. they have done well thus far but maintaining it is another thing.  I think for a club outside the top 6 its harder to get into the top 4 now than ever before. the gulf is massive. 

Leicester was a one off. everything came together at the right time. Vardy amazing goal scoring form. Mahrez and Kante and the rest being below par. 

Edited by PaulC

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

But Burnley ARE competitive. Whether or not they stay there is of course another matter but they are in the Champions League positions nearly at the half way point. This indicates that the higher places in the league may not be as difficult to breach as they used to be. 

Look at Leicester just two years ago.

Well whether they stay there is all that actually matters, and in my opinion they won't. If they don't stay there then it's just a good run of form in the first half of the season, nothing exciting. As I said above there's always a team that does this, it's not unusual or a surprise but 99% of the time they revert to type. Leicester were an anomaly, not a new norm. People were raving about Watford a few weeks ago...

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Lowton was always a decent rb to be honest. i like Burnley and Dyche what a good club they are. 

Lowton is a good footballer sadly he just doesn't have any real pace. That's such a key factor in the PL these days that players who are more athletes than footballers will get further than someone like Lowton. 

As someone said, in the right system with cover from a fast winger he's a real asset.

It would frustrate me that he could never get past the opposition full back to get to the by-line so he always crossed from in front of the 18 yard area at a strange angle. Benteke still managed to get a few headed goals off them though!

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Why Everton did not go for Dyche ahead of Fat Sam I will never know Dyche is more for the future Sam will be there 2-3 tops i think.

If we got up I would be happy with Dyche as manager if we stablised ourselves 

We have as much chance of getting Dyche as we do Conte at this point. 

• 2 months later...
Â