The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Surely a rainbow flick is very much the same as nutmegs or Cryuff turns or whatever - just creative ways to beat opponents?  Perhaps annoying to "get done" by one, but I don't see why it would annoy fans or players.  Far too precious.

Well I've played in many sunday league games or 5 aside games where people try tricks like that and they usually get booted off the pitch as a result.

But like when that guy used to do the seal dribble. People used to fight him.

Certain things annoy opponents

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well I've played in many sunday league games or 5 aside games where people try tricks like that and they usually get booted off the pitch as a result.

But like when that guy used to do the seal dribble. People used to fight him.

Certain things annoy opponents

But what's annoying about it?  I don't understand.

Is it because other people can't do it, so they get frustrated, whereas "anyone" can meg someone?

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Players feel they are being mocked. They feel that the game (the particular game) is being used as a Harlem Globetrotters showing off event, not a sporting competition.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Players feel they are being mocked. They feel that the game (the particular game) is being used as a Harlem Globetrotters showing off event, not a sporting competition.

Interesting.  I wonder what the scale is from nutmegs being applauded to rainbow flicks being a booking.

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Is it because other people can't do it, so they get frustrated, whereas "anyone" can meg someone?

Have you ever played football?

Players feel like excessive tricks are taking the piss. It's like showboating in any sport. If you're a boxer and your opponent is swaggering around and dropping his guard etc then you get annoyed because he's taking the piss. It's not against the rules, but people get annoyed by it

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Have you ever played football?

Players feel like excessive tricks are taking the piss. It's like showboating in any sport. If you're a boxer and your opponent is swaggering around and dropping his guard etc then you get annoyed because he's taking the piss. It's not against the rules, but people get annoyed by it

Yeah, I play 5-a-side (outside of leagues now because they're filled with rocket polishers who want to fight) and vets football now too because I'm officially old :D 

It's never bothered me.  Maybe I'm too mild-mannered.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s football, it’s meant to be fun, professionals are meant to demonstrate things the average amateur player cannot do, I applaud the tricks and wish there was more of it.

Give me that over watching Man City knock it about in defence for 10 minutes. 

Hear **** hear. Players and their precious feelings don't interest me in the slightest to be honest. Think it's annoying? Well get the ball off him then.

• Like 4

Showboating shouldn't be a booking but it's the kind of thing you should expect is going to wind up the opponent's up and is going to get reactions. Taking the piss/mocking the opponent rarely goes down well - in rugby iirc they do have rules about showboating or going against the spirit of the game, because that's a sport in which quickly can devolve into violence if feelings run high. In football is just going to get some cards dished out from the reaction.

40 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Literally nobody on here is agreeing with the booking. You're arguing against nobody. 

I'm not arguing with anyone, it was a sarcastic comment to underline it's unreasonable to call anything on the pitch "disrespectful" that is within the laws of play. 

If a player shots a screamer in the top corner and the keeper flies 5 feet to catch it, is that disrespectful?

Is 5 quick passes in a triangle disrespectful? 

Is a 5-0 scoreline disrespectful?

I don't even understand where this notion could come from.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

it was a sarcastic comment to underline it's unreasonable to call anything on the pitch "disrespectful" that is within the laws of play. 

Well, it did nothing of the thing, tbh.

If a player shots a screamer in the top corner and the keeper flies 5 feet to catch it, is that disrespectful?

Is 5 quick passes in a triangle disrespectful? 

Is a 5-0 scoreline disrespectful?

Well, no, to any of those.

At the other end of the spectrum, there have been players who've ebaten the keeper, then instead of just scoring, dropped to their hands and knees and scored with a header. Breaking no rules, and should recieve no punishment, but disrespectful as ****, utterly taking the piss and their opponents may well get annoyed by it, even if it's allowed. There are many shades of grey, and it's absolutely subjective, but claiming nothing can be disrespectful if it's not banned by the laws of the game is just daft. 

Â