The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

Story on the beeb about some weird mixed gender / gay team playing against some weird former pro’s team, raising the subsequent question as to whether or not mixed gender football should become more common place.

For me - no, categorically no. Women’s and men’s football may as well be two entirely different sports in terms of quality, physicality and technique.

But then, the world seems to be heading in this direction doesn’t it? I can well see a future where it’s mandatory for each team to have at least one woman, one transgender person and one whatever else of the various minority / underrepresented groups, heading will be outlawed entirely and it’ll be played in 15 minute intervals. 

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Story on the beeb about some weird mixed gender / gay team playing against some weird former pro’s team, raising the subsequent question as to whether or not mixed gender football should become more common place.

For me - no, categorically no. Women’s and men’s football may as well be two entirely different sports in terms of quality, physicality and technique.

But then, the world seems to be heading in this direction doesn’t it? I can well see a future where it’s mandatory for each team to have at least one woman, one transgender person and one whatever else of the various minority / underrepresented groups, heading will be outlawed entirely and it’ll be played in 15 minute intervals. 

Seems a bit of a slippery slope fallacy. Given that every point is worth millions, I doubt teams would do anything to jeopardize that, let alone token gestures.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Seems a bit of a slippery slope fallacy. Given that every point is worth millions, I doubt teams would do anything to jeopardize that, let alone token gestures.

I’m suggesting that the clubs won’t have a choice, much the same as the pressures facing many other organisations and companies on an increasing basis.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If that happens I’ll quit the game 100% 

In principle, it's women who'll lose out from mixed-gender football, if it were mixed entirely, you would find very very few women in the professional game.

At the amatuer level though, several countries are now allowing mixed gender games, including Holland. As long as the players get picked on their own merits, I don't see a problem.

• Like 3

It might only be a small thing, but stuff like this is what keeps chipping away at the real fans enjoyment of the game. I think Juventus did it a few years ago as well? 

Manchester United to be renamed on Football Manager following trademark settlement

https://news.sky.com/story/manchester-united-to-be-renamed-on-football-manager-following-trademark-settlement-12374342

39 minutes ago, Xela said:

It might only be a small thing, but stuff like this is what keeps chipping away at the real fans enjoyment of the game. I think Juventus did it a few years ago as well? 

https://news.sky.com/story/manchester-united-to-be-renamed-on-football-manager-following-trademark-settlement-12374342

Ridiculous isn’t it 

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

In principle, it's women who'll lose out from mixed-gender football, if it were mixed entirely, you would find very very few women in the professional game.

At the amatuer level though, several countries are now allowing mixed gender games, including Holland. As long as the players get picked on their own merits, I don't see a problem.

I used to play for a mixed-gender team in Korea. Well, I say 'play', but me and the three ladies shared the same role, that of 'playing in the competition opening rounds against kids teams' and 'being subbed on in the 90th minute for timewasting reasons' :D

4 hours ago, Xela said:

I actually don't see how it's helpful to utd or their brand if I'm honest 

Who plays as piemonte or whatever they're called on FM or FIFA? Instead I would actively avoid them 

So because they won't pay them a fee kids will stop playing as man utd on computer games... Why would they want that? Must do more damage than good 

• Like 3

With Barcelona, Inter Milan and other clubs facing extinction, at what point does football need to have a total reset? We're heading towards a world where about five clubs own all the best players and most other clubs are basically bankrupt.

• Like 1

What is really shitty is that the Charity Shield was always meant to be for, Charity! & even though Wembley made it very affordable the Mancs took hardly any fans down there.

So charities miss out because Arab blood oil money bought Pep the PL. Modern football needs a total reset as @Lichfield Dean says above.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

What is really shitty is that the Charity Shield was always meant to be for, Charity! & even though Wembley made it very affordable the Mancs took hardly any fans down there.

So charities miss out because Arab blood oil money bought Pep the PL. Modern football needs a total reset as @Lichfield Dean says above.

Bring back the 3 foreigner rule… that was a rule wasn’t it?

14 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

With Barcelona, Inter Milan and other clubs facing extinction, at what point does football need to have a total reset? We're heading towards a world where about five clubs own all the best players and most other clubs are basically bankrupt.

As another poster mentioned elsewhere, has there been any more confirmation about the Inter situation beyond that one tweet? Was it all just made up?

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

As another poster mentioned elsewhere, has there been any more confirmation about the Inter situation beyond that one tweet? Was it all just made up?

I was reading on a Swedish Inter forum and there is no mention of it. They are discussing a rumor that they can to spend about €55m out the money they get for selling Lukaku but nothing about liquidation or close that.

Lots of talk about Messi and inflated salaries in football.

Not seen a single mention of anything about Inter imploding in any media outlet. They might be in trouble but probably not quite that bad.

3 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

They arent in trouble but the owners have stopped funding them from China

3 hours ago, sne said:

I'm no accountant but if the club keeps 10% then surely that's $10.5m in their revenue, and currently they're not in "profit" regarding Messi but still $30.5m down this year? (Not saying they should be making a profit as the best comes at a cost, but the Tweet reads to me like they're already bringing in more than they're paying, which isn't the case?)

Just now, Troglodyte said:

I'm no accountant but if the club keeps 10% then surely that's $10.5m in their revenue, and currently they're not in "profit" regarding Messi but still $30.5m down this year? (Not saying they should be making a profit as the best comes at a cost, but the Tweet reads to me like they're already bringing in more than they're paying, which isn't the case?)

Think they mean profits from the jerseys.

Â