The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

think it's a loan...saw somewhere else that the interest is tiny and they don't need to start repaying for years. it's effectively a bail out

Even if the loan is with a smaller interest there will be other strings attached. Its 1.2 billion, not a few million so will involve multiple investors who will want their money back and some more lobbied against the risk.

Especially when you consider the risk of giving money to a club that acts like a 5 year old in a toy shop, with no permanent presidential structure. Laporte might be sensible (comparatively) but the next president just needs to promise the gullible fans Haaland, Debruyne and Mbappe and he's hired. Laporte is powerless and on the dole. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this somehow is linked to a Superleague 2.0 or Uefas decision to randomly stop prosecuting. 

Edited by pas5898

In baseball there are a bunch of (IMO bizarre) unwritten rules to basically protect the ego of pitchers, one of which is not to swing the bat in certain situations where your team is comfortably ahead, or attempt to steal bases if you're already ahead by a lot of runs.

EDIT: El Zen beat me to it.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

I mentioned earlier that they have the same thing in baseball, where it’s seen as disrespectful to steal a base or swing in a 3-0 count if you’re up by five runs late-ish in the game. It is generally seen as disrespectful to flip your bat on a home run swing, or to celebrate too much as you round the bases.  

I think all of that is a load of crap, basically. Outdated and pointless. 

Ah yes the unwritten rules. I think for all sports you should play hard but play fair.

The best goal I ever saw scored in Sunday league came from a rainbow flick.

We had an Angolan kid playing for us called Bruno (it was without doubt the most multicultural Sunday league team you’ve ever witnessed), he skinned a player out wide, got to the byline, rainbow flicked it over an oncoming defender and smashed it over the keeper into the roof of the net, absolutely outrageous. 

Edited by bannedfromHandV

3 hours ago, El Zen said:

I mentioned earlier that they have the same thing in baseball, where it’s seen as disrespectful to steal a base or swing in a 3-0 count if you’re up by five runs late-ish in the game. It is generally seen as disrespectful to flip your bat on a home run swing, or to celebrate too much as you round the bases.  

I think all of that is a load of crap, basically. Outdated and pointless. 

There are taunting penalties in the NFL. Also 'excessive celebration'. Completely ruins it. The defensive player can make a great play to win the game, and if he's too animated, he could easily lose the game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tomav84 said:

It's Barca. La Liga would discover an obscure rule that lets them and Real Madrid accept a few billion no questions asked when they need it if they could get away with it.

Wasn’t surprised to see a new Copa v Europe game in the pipeline. I mean ffs. That and a biennial World Cup. They’ll just stop at nothing to get in as much football as possible. It’s becoming totally joyless. Nothing is sacred anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it be a fitting time to bump this thread.

Football is over. 

Chelsea and City accelerated it's death, City in particular because they were an absolutely nothing club before the takeover. Chelsea at least were always a competitive team.

If you're a team like ourselves or Leicester who has been working hard to build your club, doing things the right way this is like kicking you off the ladder, making that ladder a lot taller and much more difficult to climb.

Abu Dhabi vs Saudi Arabia. The clubs really should just change names so it reflects reality. They are not football clubs anymore.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 3

Do you really think we're more in the Leicester category than Chelsea? I suspect quite a few fanbases disagree if you look at our spending since we came back up. FFP is the only reason we haven't bought success.

A few years earlier, and we'd be sitting in VP with a bunch of people who'd never heard of Witton a few years earlier, cheering on one of our mercenaries as they lift our purchased trophy.

Football is a capitalist sport where the richer clubs get richer and richer, buying up the better players and making it harder for anyone else to catch up. We just don't like it when someone rocks the boat and makes it too obvious. 

• Like 1

I don't think we have any right to complain about clubs getting bought out by rich owners and what that can do for a club. There are plenty of Championship clubs who think we cheated our way out of what we had coming to us, and they're not completely wrong. Newcastle got bought by rich people; lucky for them.

What I *can* and *will* complain about is them being bought by the Saudi sovereign wealth fund, controlled by Crown Prince bin Salman. It's not just any generic rich person.

• Like 4

Game has been gone a long time. This Newcastle buy will just make it worse.

It will probably speed up the process of the Super League. Which could be a positive in the long run.

I also wonder if any owner today is thinking about selling the club to protect their investment. 

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

I also wonder if any owner today is thinking about selling the club to protect their investment. 

A rising tide lifts all boats...

The main reason the game has been gone for so long is because so many of the PL teams are simply happy to be there, no illusion of competing or trying to do anything, the new Burnley owner for example rather than being pissed off that it's now another team in his way probably sees it as another influx of cash to the already crazy rich league which means his investment is looking even prettier this morning as long as his team finishes 15th for the next 5 years and he sees what the Saudi's bring in terms of increasing the market value of revenue streams 

Unfortunately again it looks like our owners who are the ones that will suffer because we are trying to do something 

Edited by villa4europe

Â