The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

Might work for the Spanish clubs as a way to generate more cash as Real and Barca get to negotiate their own TV rights, diminishing what's available to the other clubs. If the non-regular Champs league clubs in England did it it might also help some way in reducing the windfall of Champions league cash that isn't shared fairly.

It won't happen though, it'll be the sky 6 clubs all the time. Greed in football will end up pushing away the fans, and you'll have 45k-60k tourists turning up to watch a game. There'll be no atmosphere and too many selfie sticks.

1 hour ago, imavillan said:

thin end of the wedge….once one starts you get the domino effect ☹️

The Americanisation of European sporting clubs is a horrible way to go. Turning competition into exhibition. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

Wait to the Saudi’s get their hooks into something like this. Manchester derby in Riyadh anyone?

• Haha 1

The obvious problem with the PLs 39th game was still the fact that it was a 39th game... 

If they just stuck to 38 and played a regular "home" game somewhere else in the world, like the NFL international series, I think it would have been accepted 

The next problem is that the PL have no combined or mutual pot of money, they're all greedy, so if there was 1 PL game played in new York for example, the only 2 teams that would benefit from it are the 2 teams that play there, so why would the other 18 teams agree to let it happen, the only result, which is probably the same as what Spain will be looking at, is that the big clubs will get bigger 

• Like 1

And as a side to it and what it does to la Liga... 

Don't forget the states are hosting the expanded world cup in 2026, I wonder if part of this is to try and expand the soccer market in certain key areas that happen to host WC games, because they have a feeling that Cameroon vs Finland played in a 80k seater stadium in front of a global audience might not be the best idea 

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The next problem is that the PL have no combined or mutual pot of money, they're all greedy, so if there was 1 PL game played in new York for example, the only 2 teams that would benefit from it are the 2 teams that play there, so why would the other 18 teams agree to let it happen, 

That’s not correct is it? The PL do split TV money based on an equal share pot and a prize pot and a ‘shown on TV’ pot. So even if two clubs played in the USA, it would either go into the equal share pot the ‘shown on TV’ pot.  

The 2 teams to play in NY would only benefit by more commercial exposure in the USA.

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The obvious problem with the PLs 39th game was still the fact that it was a 39th game... 

If they just stuck to 38 and played a regular "home" game somewhere else in the world, like the NFL international series, I think it would have been accepted 

The next problem is that the PL have no combined or mutual pot of money, they're all greedy, so if there was 1 PL game played in new York for example, the only 2 teams that would benefit from it are the 2 teams that play there, so why would the other 18 teams agree to let it happen, the only result, which is probably the same as what Spain will be looking at, is that the big clubs will get bigger 

a team would have to lose a home game, not that they care but fans wont accept that and also a team would risk a home game when league positions are at place

Would Everton risk a home game vs Arsenal when they could scrape a result or would they prefer give up and play in Riyadh

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The only way to do it would be 2 rounds home and away as usual and an extra round all at neutral venues around the World. There's not really enough room in the calendar for an extra 19 rounds though so we'll have to reduce the number pf teams in the PL: down to 14 teams and then it's 13 x 3 = 39 games each, or possibly to 16 teams having 15 x 3 = 45 matches but we'd have to lose the League Cup and maybe even the FA Cup. Worth it though.

Edited by fightoffyour

Preventing dreadful ideas like 'the 39th step' is one plausible vision for what a 'football regulator' would be useful for. Seemingly our PM-in-waiting isn't a fan of the idea though, so who knows if it will ever get going. 

13 hours ago, imavillan said:

Is anyone else more concerned about what is that thing on the bottom of his right cheek? I mean, where does that come from? Is that an alien control device? What's going on? I'm disturbed.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

Worth it? I must be more our of touch than I thought. 

We start playing home games in America and I'm done. 

1041823.gif?b64lines=IERPIEkgREVURUNUIEE

Edited by fightoffyour

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Why don't we add two more teams to the premier league, this give us 42 games instead of 38. Then we can have one of those extra games in Qatar, one in Saudi and one in USA. Then with the extra revenue the teams get they can use it to pay agents and players even more money because that's what's really important. Fans only care about how much money there is swirling around the game, trophies and integrity aren't important.  We can also play all league cup games in Malaysia and turn the FA cup into an Under 23 competition. Maybe have a break every 15 minutes to allow TV companies to show ad's, paint logos on the pitches and auction the players jerseys during every game so players have to put on a second jersey in the second half and then we can auction that as well.

All great ideas and I have plenty more. Like an official fish food supplier for the premier league. Put the match ball on a tropical aquarium instead of the plinth that's currently used.  

And the weirdest thing about this post is that I wouldn't put any of those ideas beyond the realms of what the FA or FIFA might come up with. 

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Why don’t we just not consider having any premier league games played outside of the UK ever, surely that just makes more sense.

How much revenue can we make from this? Is there a brand willing to get behind this idea and will it increase our commercial revenue. Can we sell it to our TV partners for even more revenue? Revenue.

These are the questions you need to ask to get your answer. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Why don’t we just not consider having any premier league games played outside of the UK ever, surely that just makes more sense.

That'S The Joke - Ranier Wolfcastle As Mcbain In The Simpsons GIF - Thats  The Joke Ranier Wolfcastle Mc Bain - Discover & Share GIFs

Â