The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

11 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I like this in theory but means a few hundred Villa fans would get to see us in the cups each year. Majority would never have the chance.

In Germany its seeded in the 1st round and the lower ranked team plays at home. Its a good concept as every round be too much

Edited by Zatman

“The Football Association and Premier League have been accused of "a total lack of respect for the football pyramid" over changes to the FA Cup.

Emirates FA Cup replays will be scrapped from the first round onwards in 2024-25 and all rounds of the competition will be played on weekends.”

(Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68851138)

Plenty of noise (expectedly and understandably) from the lower league/non-league clubs. I still don’t get the logic of why the changes are coming in.

Super League-esque stuff. 

• Like 1

Disgraceful, our FA cup being sacrificed for more European games, UEFA are trying to wrestle the power away from British football and its deaths by a thousand cuts. Even though we have just had our most memorable win in Europe for years I still wouldn't swap it for the tradition of the FA cup, its in our soul. Seeing us playing Lille with their whingeing fans and terrible ref is just not as good  as watching Nott County earn a late draw against manure on a cold winters night, crazy but it just ain't.

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

“The Football Association and Premier League have been accused of "a total lack of respect for the football pyramid" over changes to the FA Cup.

Emirates FA Cup replays will be scrapped from the first round onwards in 2024-25 and all rounds of the competition will be played on weekends.”

(Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68851138)

Plenty of noise (expectedly and understandably) from the lower league/non-league clubs. I still don’t get the logic of why the changes are coming in.

Super League-esque stuff. 

Nail on head, it is to appease the 'big 6' lets pander to their every whim. Give it another 5 years and they will vote to scrap the league cup.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We should not be naive but is a big chance we wanted to abolish this as well

Didn’t we reject the proposed deal for EFL clubs as well? I imagine we’re very much in favour of replays being scrapped. 

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Didn’t we reject the proposed deal for EFL clubs as well? I imagine we’re very much in favour of replays being scrapped. 

I think we did as well

Wouldn't surprise me if this was a kite flying exercise and the FA will re-introduce replays for rounds 1 & 2 as a way to throw a bone to the lower league teams. 

36 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would condemn that too. Especially since Unai speaks so highly of the prestige of the cups.

However, this is more on the likes of Klopp, who for years rubbished the cup and replays, refused to attend one and lobbied for them to go. 

• Like 1

Watched fonsecas interview and thought he come across well, Lille played some really good football and have some talented youngsters and then I'm sat thinking I wonder if he or they can get moves to the PL or to big European teams 

Footballs gone hasn't it? I wouldn't even say Lille are a small French team, 50k stadium, won the league 2 years ago, played CL but it's a case of with PSG in that league and French football now what can they all actually do there? 

I should be watching it thinking Lille can build and do something good but it's the opposite, like the "big club" stuff and poaching of any kind of talent is ingrained on me and at this point not accepted but expected 

Edit - I even googled the keeper after the game to see who he is linked with, its Bayern Munich 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

However, this is more on the likes of Klopp, who for years rubbished the cup and replays, refused to attend one and lobbied for them to go. 

It's not really. UEFA are to blame. In order to keep the "big" clubs happy they have expanded the CL into a worse format and as a result of that something had to give. The PL have paid off the FA to get rid of FA cup replays and have abandoned the mid season break to accommodate UEFA.  

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Watched fonsecas interview and thought he come across well, Lille played some really good football and have some talented youngsters and then I'm sat thinking I wonder if he or they can get moves to the PL or to big European teams 

Footballs gone hasn't it? I wouldn't even say Lille are a small French team, 50k stadium, won the league 2 years ago, played CL but it's a case of with PSG in that league and French football now what can they all actually do there? 

I should be watching it thinking Lille can build and do something good but it's the opposite, like the "big club" stuff and poaching of any kind of talent is ingrained on me and at this point not accepted but expected 

Edit - I even googled the keeper after the game to see who he is linked with, its Bayern Munich 

The French league has serious funding problems and allowing the sports washing of PSG free reign has damaged the league greatly. Play acting aside, they made a great atmosphere and gave us a real challenge. It was disappointing to see so many posters calling them an average team. They are anything but. I thought we were the better team in the first leg, but sometimes in football, it won’t go your way. Both legs were a real test of our qualities and indeed shortcomings. But the gaps in wealth mean they always vulnerable to having their top talent taken. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I'm sure we did, and I have no problem opposing how the club vote in PL meetings. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Tone deaf response from the FA. We need an independent regulator so badly. 

A boycott is required

• Like 1

If the PL and FA were to provide greater financial packages for the lower leagues then this wouldn't be an issue. If the PL clubs want this then they should have to pay for it. But they already don't want to give them any more money anyway, so this idea is a non-starter.

It's the epitome of having their cake and eating it too.

Â