The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

£33m is pocket change and the PL owes grassroots a lot more money. 

PL teams don’t enter until the third rounds so why should lower league teams lose their replay rights from the get go? It stinks. 

It would suggest that Premier League teams weren't the only teams in favour of it.

Do League 1or league 2 teams who play Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday really want to be squeezing in extra games on a midweek evening against Scunthorpe?

(No offence to Scunthorpe. The fist crap team that came to mind :D )

Edited by Stevo985

Just now, a-k said:

Mid-season break also scrapped...

I hate it. What a selfish, self-defeating way to ruin the magic of the country’s most famous cup tournament. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It would suggest that Premier League teams weren't the only teams in favour of it.

Do League 1or league 2 teams who play Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday really want to be squeezing in extra games on a midweek evening against Scunthorpe?

That’s a fair question. We don’t know how involved the EFL was in the discussions. Accrington’s chairman is claiming on Twitter there was no consultation 

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

£33m is pocket change and the PL owes grassroots a lot more money. 

PL teams don’t enter until the third rounds so why should lower league teams lose their replay rights from the get go? It stinks. 

This I agree with

40 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

A non-league team losing crucial revenue by getting an early replay against a Championship team is terrible for the game 

But it's difficult/impossible to say what could earn them more money - a replay and then inevitably losing the return fixture is what happens probably 80% of the time when playing higher division opponents, whereas a penalty shoutout and into the next is obviously closer to 50% chance of a later-round tie, which might be more lucrative than a replay.

I obviously don't know how valuable just another match is if it's a replay of a non-league team vs. a League Two team, say.

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Obviously the replays are lucrative for lower league teams but, on the other hand, this change means they're more likely to get through to the next round when getting a draw and then winning on penalties, leading to an even more lucrative (albeit less so than winning a replay) following tie. Thoughts?

The getting through is fine, but playing at the proper big grounds (Old Trafford et al) is where the money is at - especially if the game makes the TV too. It also gives an increased opportunity for lower league players to play at grounds they could only dream of playing at normally.

It’s another grim decision in favour of the Premier League - I’m not even massively sure of the logic of it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The getting through is fine, but playing at the proper big grounds (Old Trafford et al) is where the money is at - especially if the game makes the TV too. It also gives an increased opportunity for lower league players to play at grounds they could only dream of playing at normally.

It’s another grim decision in favour of the Premier League - I’m not even massively sure of the logic of it. 

It's 50/50 whether the first (now, only) leg is at home or away though. So you could get a tie at Old Trafford, draw, and go through on penalties then get a match at VP, whereas they could get a replay at The Scholars Ground or wherever (ok, it will be on TV, so still lucrative) and lose that.

Of course you could get through one round on penalties and then get a non-glamour tie against a fellow non-league or a lower division side in the next round, which might not be as beneficial as the replay. Point is, though, that it's not cut and dry which option would work out better, and a lot (as it does with replays) relies upon luck of the draw and performance on the day, but it's certainly more likely that there will be upsets in one-off matches and the "lottery of penalties".

Edited by fightoffyour

Is this not mainly down to the footballing pyramid being too big? They can no longer generate the money they need to survive, for the most part a one off game against a top team every 5-6 years isn't going to paper over the cracks.

With how entertainment is changing and viewed by the younger generation I can only see it getting worse for lower league clubs. It feels a bit similar to trying to keep high street shops alive.

If you believe some of the wage sites Wrexham's weekly bill isn't far off Granada, who play in La Liga. That's almost a similar amount to Tielemans weekly wage. 

Don't worry, Season will be 2 weeks old then the players will be getting called up for international duties, Nations league games...  2 in Sept , 2 in Oct and 2 in Nov... That's 3 weekends right there.

But yeah lets take away the income of the lower league sides that look forward to that glamour tie with a big club, with no replay the only option is the lower league club plays away,? Getting drawn at home, grinding out a draw then going back to the Prem side pretty much pays for their season. Going on about fixture congestion when we have pointless England games taking up 3 weekends!

• Like 1

Why should the football pyramid be beholden to the whims of the so-called Big 6? It’s prioritising UEFA expansionism for the CL over the good of the game here. 

Why are they moving the cup final into the main footballing calendar? It’s just disruptive. It should stay at the end of the season. 

• Like 1

all Cup games should be played at the lower league teams ground. Levels the playing field, more chance of an upset, home team gets the gate receipts. If a draw is made and its two teams from same league, then a draw is made as to where it is played

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

all Cup games should be played at the lower league teams ground. Levels the playing field, more chance of an upset, home team gets the gate receipts. If a draw is made and its two teams from same league, then a draw is made as to where it is played

Gate receipts are split evenly in the FA Cup, hence why smaller teams like to play away at bigger grounds.

• Like 1

One logical idea I've seen floated would be to have scrapped replays for all-PL ties, but kept them for others. I don't understand why 1st and 2nd round replays have been scrapped. 

5 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

I like this in theory but means a few hundred Villa fans would get to see us in the cups each year. Majority would never have the chance.

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I like this in theory but means a few hundred Villa fans would get to see us in the cups each year. Majority would never have the chance.

I'll be honest it was a hairbrained suggestion at best

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

I'll be honest it was a hairbrained suggestion at best

If only we were all as honest and reflective as you this board would be a better place 😅

• Haha 1

Â