The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

16 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

If the PL and FA were to provide greater financial packages for the lower leagues then this wouldn't be an issue. If the PL clubs want this then they should have to pay for it. But they already don't want to give them any more money anyway, so this idea is a non-starter.

It's the epitome of having their cake and eating it too.

Or if the EFLs craxk negotiation team had got themselves a TV deal worth a damn... 

I would still like to take a European competition tax off the clubs that play in Europe, man city get say £100m a year from the CL, shave £20m off for the EFL, it spreads the wealth and reduces the disparity at the same time 

• Like 1

Rick Parry needs to go - he’s in the pocket of the PL. He doesn’t have the interests of the EFL in mind. Remember when he wanted to expand the PL and let teams go bust in the pyramid instead. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Final game of the season is on 19th May, Spurs and Newcastle play each other in a friendly in Australia on 22nd May... but that fixture congestion eh?

Two clubs not in Europe, but yeah.

I just don't get the issue.  The non-Premier League clubs probably play the same number of games each season (if not more) as the Premier League sides, yet simply don't have the financial resources to build an actual squad that they can rotate.  The solution?  Give them less money.  Fantastic :D 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Final game of the season is on 19th May, Spurs and Newcastle play each other in a friendly in Australia on 22nd May... but that fixture congestion eh?

Euro squads meet up a couple days later I imagine. They have friendlies on June 3rd and 4th. Bet the Spurs/Saudi players will be going all in in that exhibition game... Imagine getting injured in a game like that a few days before a big tournament.

After flogging his squad to death this season by not rotating them, Arteta has praised the decision to scrap replays as he is worried about player welfare

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

After flogging his squad to death this season by not rotating them, Arteta has praised the decision to scrap replays as he is worried about player welfare

Him, Klopp and Pep can all get in the bin. There rhetoric around replays definitely had an influence on the decision. 

37 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Him, Klopp and Pep can all get in the bin. There rhetoric around replays definitely had an influence on the decision. 

Indeed but they will all have another excuse next season. They will complain they are playing too many European games midweek or that they need a midseason break. 

The answer is still don't let the European qualified teams in the league cup and make sure the league Cup keeps a European place 

Surprised there's not been calls to bin the LC off instead of touching the FA Cup but then that would inevitably lead to the honest answer that the FA Cup is dying regardless, the financial disparity is too much and they've **** about it too much, the FA themselves seemingly don't know how to fix it 

• Like 2

Scrap the league cup, and put the Conference League place to the League position.

Have the FA Cup 3rd Round in October or early November to enable the competition to be spread evenly over the season. Will stop the congestion caused by League Cup semis and the final as well.

Not sure how scraping any English cup competition and replacing it with a European one is going to help English lower league teams, it clearly isn't.

European clubs want some of the English footballs money, a fair share and if it means stealing it away from our lower league teams then so be it. 

For me the conference league is micky mouse compared to the league Cup and definitely the Fa cup. We need to protect our English football before UEFA destroy it right under the noses of our corn beef faced morons in charge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Not sure how scraping any English cup competition and replacing it with a European one is going to help English lower league teams, it clearly isn't.

European clubs want some of the English footballs money, a fair share and if it means stealing it away from our lower league teams then so be it. 

For me the conference league is micky mouse compared to the league Cup and definitely the Fa cup. We need to protect our English football before UEFA destroy it right under the noses of our corn beef faced morons in charge.

You think playing Ajax, Olympiacos and Fiorentina is Micky Mouse compared to sending our reserves to play Barrow?

Not a chance.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

You think playing Ajax, Olympiacos and Fiorentina is Micky Mouse compared to sending our reserves to play Barrow?

Not a chance.

What's Barrow got to do with it, your talking about the worst teams in one competition and the best in others.

Let's just looks at where players like Ollie came from, teams that depend on the income generated from games in these competitions for years.

I love English football from top to bottom,  Tamworth to Arsenal (not city) 

And tbh having watched that ref and the lille players moaning and rolling about, the fans. I'm just not interested in European football at that level, it's shite. 

6 minutes ago, tinker said:

I'm just not interested in European football at that level, it's shite. 

You haven't enjoyed us getting the semi finals and beating the likes of Ajax? 

We play 2nd string sides in the LC up until the QF. As does everyone. But you prefer that? 

Each to their own, but I don't.

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The answer is still don't let the European qualified teams in the league cup and make sure the league Cup keeps a European place 

Surprised there's not been calls to bin the LC off instead of touching the FA Cup but then that would inevitably lead to the honest answer that the FA Cup is dying regardless, the financial disparity is too much and they've **** about it too much, the FA themselves seemingly don't know how to fix it 

League Cup is ran by the Football League not the FA

32 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

You haven't enjoyed us getting the semi finals and beating the likes of Ajax? 

We play 2nd string sides in the LC up until the QF. As does everyone. But you prefer that? 

Each to their own, but I don't.

I did enjoy it, but I'm not willing to sacrifice any of our lower league teams financially to help support the likes of Lille or Ajax financially and that's what playing games against us offers to both of them, money.

Compare Thursdays game with playing West brom, blues, Ipswich or whoever and having penalties and winning, I would enjoy that far more and so would their fans and they would make money out of it that enables them to survive and bring through players like Ollie.

Villa are custodians of football, we helped start it in this country and we should look to protect the grass roots of the game because that's our foundations and if we allow the likes of Pep and Arteta to destroy the financially support the lc and fa cup gives them then as far as I'm concerned we're setting fire to very building blocks just so the Arabs can win stuff.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Or if the EFLs craxk negotiation team had got themselves a TV deal worth a damn... 

I would still like to take a European competition tax off the clubs that play in Europe, man city get say £100m a year from the CL, shave £20m off for the EFL, it spreads the wealth and reduces the disparity at the same time 

I think that’s a bit harsh, without admittedly knowing the details of the current tv deal but it’s not exactly simple to sell tv rights for the lower divisions, there’ll be close to zero international interest so you’re relying on a domestic market that’s already paying obscene amounts for the top flight package.

Part of me thinks they’d be better off arranging something with the terrestrial channels for the exposure it might bring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

I’ll choose my words carefully: what a word removed. Pep is horrible for the game. Unbridled arrogance. 

How many of the 'bigger clubs' are actually effected by and have to play FA Cup replays each season?

How many of the 'bigger clubs' choose to add in unnecessary games or tours each season to try and raise even more money (which they don't want to share with lower-league teams)?

They want it both ways.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

There's no desire to get rid of the League Cup because it offers a safety valve for top PL managers. A way to avoid the 'you never won a trophy' jibe. 

Â