The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

No more FA cup replays. They seem to have been bought off by the insurance that FA cup games will all be on weekends with no PL games at the same time. Give it five years and that will be gone too and the latter rounds of the fa cup will be midweek. Teams in the club World cup will probably get a bye into round five as well. 

Edited by villa89

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

No more FA cup replays. They seem to have been bought off by the insurance that FA cup games will all be on weekends with no PL games at the same time. Give it five years and that will be gone too and the latter rounds of the fa cup will be midweek. Teams in the club World cup will probably get a bye into round five as well. 

Good. FA Cup replays have been a pox for decades. The only thing worse than a FA Cup tie is drawing it and having to do it again. Moving the FA Cup to midweek would also be great move. Anything to stop it interfering with Premier League games. There's no more soul destroying weekends in the football season than FA Cup rounds. Any way to marginalize them is a positive move.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

Obviously the replays are lucrative for lower league teams but, on the other hand, this change means they're more likely to get through to the next round when getting a draw and then winning on penalties, leading to an even more lucrative (albeit less so than winning a replay) following tie. Thoughts?

• Like 2

not fussed over the replays but 100% these games should be on the weekends

the joy of the fa cup for me as a villa fan are the potential away games vs L1/L2 teams that realistically you're not going to play in any other competition, or conversely fans of those clubs having the opportunity to travel to VP, you want large numbers of travelling fans having a good day, saturday games is the best way of that happening

that said the FA moving them to any time over the weekend other than saturday 3pm doesnt help that argument 

now scrap extra time

• Like 1

Did they consult all 700+ teams in the football pyramid about dropping the replays? Who was consulted? Otherwise it just reeks of helping the top of the pyramid, not the sport generally. 

• Like 1

Why should lower league teams lose replays in the early stages because of UEFA expansions? It’s grossly unfair - it’s to protect to the fixture congestion of PL teams in Europe and does nothing to address lower league teams fulfilling their own fixture list issues 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

A non-league team losing crucial revenue by getting an early replay against a Championship team is terrible for the game 

dont forget the plan is to increase that crucial revenue via payments from PL teams

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

dont forget the plan is to increase that crucial revenue via payments from PL teams

They could do this still and not fundamentally change the Cup at the behest of PL clubs playing in Europe crying about their fixture schedule 

26 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

A non-league team losing crucial revenue by getting an early replay against a Championship team is terrible for the game 

There's an argument to let the tie be moved to the bigger ground if both teams agree. For example if SHA are drawn at home against Forest Green they might want to move the game so Forest Green are at home and get a bigger attendance that way.  

• Haha 2

I hated replays so I'm quite glad they've gone.

I'd have liked the extra revenue for lower league clubs to be protected somehow though. not sure if they've done anything towards that

There are two simple ways to potentially avoid replays that satisfy the "big" clubs while still providing a chance for lower league teams to reap the financial benefits of a replay:

1) "big" club has to be good enough to win the match the first time around

2) if the "big" club doesn't want a replay, they can forfeit

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I hated replays so I'm quite glad they've gone.

I'd have liked the extra revenue for lower league clubs to be protected somehow though. not sure if they've done anything towards that

£33m is pocket change and the PL owes grassroots a lot more money. 

PL teams don’t enter until the third rounds so why should lower league teams lose their replay rights from the get go? It stinks. 

• Like 2

Â