The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

On 24/04/2024 at 23:24, TheAuthority said:

Is anyone else more concerned about what is that thing on the bottom of his right cheek? I mean, where does that come from? Is that an alien control device? What's going on? I'm disturbed.

I think that's a microphone/headset, rather than a cheese puff sticking out of his face 😄

27 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I'm sure Burnley v Wolves will pack out pubs and bars of Lansing, Michigan before the inevitable scramble for match tickets. 🙄 

This is the problem. They will want the 'big' teams to be playing some no hopers, but it wouldn't look good if you have Man U being bashed by Fulham. It feels like it's only a couple of steps away from having some Washington Generals style patsys who are there to lose 

6 hours ago, duke313 said:

Who decides what game?  Does the team that lose their home advantage have a say?

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Its up to the home team. Think was Girona were willing to give away a home game vs Barcelona a few years back to play it in US

Assuming is a bigger payoff for them

Yep, for the NFL there is a designated home team who give up a game to host it in Europe instead, I'm pretty sure that team goes on more of a charm offensive too, the promo stuff is weighted towards the home team

The match day revenue will be higher than 50% of PL stadiums, ours included, we would earn more money from playing a "home" game in say new york than we would from VP and that's before you factor in the potential fanbase growth etc 

It's coming, they just seem to be making a hash as to how it's introduced, a 39th game isn't going to happen, all 20 teams playing a game abroad won't be the starting point, moving any cup game away from the Wembley cash cow won't happen in 

If they suggest 1 game as a tester it'll be something like crystal palace vs man utd and it will be a huge success leading to more and more, NFL have done it for 17 years now and they've done so much testing it's pretty impressive, east coast teams, historically bigger teams, West Coast teams, different kick offs, random games, important games, rival games,  shit games... And I think everything has worked 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, for the NFL there is a designated home team who give up a game to host it in Europe instead, I'm pretty sure that team goes on more of a charm offensive too, the promo stuff is weighted towards the home team

The match day revenue will be higher than 50% of PL stadiums, ours included, we would earn more money from playing a "home" game in say new york than we would from VP and that's before you factor in the potential fanbase growth etc 

It's coming, they just seem to be making a hash as to how it's introduced, a 39th game isn't going to happen, all 20 teams playing a game abroad won't be the starting point, moving any cup game away from the Wembley cash cow won't happen in 

If they suggest 1 game as a tester it'll be something like crystal palace vs man utd and it will be a huge success leading to more and more, NFL have done it for 17 years now and they've done so much testing it's pretty impressive, east coast teams, historically bigger teams, West Coast teams, different kick offs, random games, important games, rival games,  shit games... And I think everything has worked 

If that’s the case we’ll definitely have a game there, as NBC is owned by Comcast, who now have a stake in V Sports.

Posted (edited)

This is all abhorrent to me, but just spitballing, 4 beers in, but here I go.....

The league title is settled by a normal 38 season - as is relegation of the 3 PL teams to the Championship.

League winner and runner's up gets champions league after the normal 38 game season. But for the extra 2 Cl, 1 EL & 1 ECL places there is a play off.

This involves the teams who finish 3rd & 4th, and includes the EFL Championship winners and Runners Up and the domestic cup winners.... It's a sort of wild card play off.
It all takes place in a money rich haven like the US or Saudi....................

:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

Edited by TheAuthority

8 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

This is all abhorrent to me, but just spitballing, 4 beers in, but here I go.....

The league title is settled by a normal 38 season - as is relegation of the 3 PL teams to the Championship.

League winner and runner's up gets champions league after the normal 38 game season. But for the extra 2 Cl, 1 EL & 1 ECL places there is a play off.

This involves the teams who finish 3rd & 4th, and includes the EFL Championship winners and Runners Up and the domestic cup winners.... It's a sort of wild card play off.
It all takes place in a money rich haven like the US or Saudi....................

:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

As I scrolled down your post for the final section, I expected to see one very specific word... Mate. This forum is **** with my mind. 

.... Mate.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, duke313 said:

If that’s the case we’ll definitely have a game there, as NBC is owned by Comcast, who now have a stake in V Sports.

Oh yeah I imagine Heck will also be all over this trying to get us a US game 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Oh yeah I imagine Heck will also be all over this trying to get us a US game 

if we did the stadium redevelopment and reduced attendances and income then us hosting a "home" game in the states would make perfect sense

This isn't a good idea simply because British football doesn't fit the American franchise model.

American sports are built around the "show" it's entirely about entertainment. UK football (and rugby and a few other team sports) are built around community first. The club is an arm of the community. This is why there was massive pushback for the euro super league and will be against any meaningful fixtures in the premier league.

They can have the friendlies or showcase matches like the charity shield but anything that matters stays here.

• Like 2

On 26/04/2024 at 14:02, Davkaus said:

Because it was rigged so that most of the world was ineligible.

I have little doubt that the world cup before the one they've bought was only awarded to countries across 3 continents so that those 3 continents had "their turn" so it could go to one of the oil money countries again ahead of schedule.

They also lowered the requirements so that Saudi Arabia would find it easier to bid and significantly curtailed the bidding window so there was less time for rival bids.

THey also changed the deadline for bids unexpectedly so that it was way earlier than expected. Saudi submitted their bid half an hour later

• Like 1

22 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Same as last week - the 39th element of it kills it before it even begins 

A regular game will happen one day though 

It'll be the same set up as the NFL international series

Yep. One of a team's 38 normal games being abroad is at least feasible.

I hate everything about it, but at least it keeps the integrity of a league format intact.

A 39th game makes absolutely no sense. it's ludicrous

• Like 1

Expect games abroad to be brought forward. The PL will want to have them in place before any potential football regulator gets appointed.

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

This actually isn't the worst idea.  I think ignore the cup competitions - but a league playoff for places 2nd down to 8th or something would be good.

It would NEVER get voted in, though.

• Like 1

I'm expecting a proposal like, League Cup is binned and restarted as a sub-PL cup competition, and the gap is filled with a PL Cup competition played internationally.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I'm expecting a proposal like, League Cup is binned and restarted as a sub-PL cup competition, and the gap is filled with a PL Cup competition played internationally.

I could see this happening.  The League Cup should be retained though.  Isn't the League Cup organised by the EFL anyway, of which the PL are separate?  So, The League Cup for EFL teams and a Premier League Cup for PL teams, which would have various matches played in different countries.

20 minutes ago, duke313 said:

So, The League Cup for EFL teams and a Premier League Cup for PL teams, which would have various matches played in different countries.

The EFL would need to be paid off first, without the PL teams the League cup basically becomes the EFL trophy and has zero appeal for TV companies. 

I wonder how Americanized football could become before people lost interest.

Like, all of this is being discussed as sensible.  It's bizarre!

37 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I wonder how Americanized football could become before people lost interest.

Like, all of this is being discussed as sensible.  It's bizarre!

I think it's all being discussed as sensible in the context of IF they insisted on doing something abroad then that would be the most sensible way to do it.

I don't think anyone is in disagreement that it's a **** awful thing to do and all of us would vote against it if given a chance

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

I could see this happening.  The League Cup should be retained though.  Isn't the League Cup organised by the EFL anyway, of which the PL are separate?  So, The League Cup for EFL teams and a Premier League Cup for PL teams, which would have various matches played in different countries.

It would make the league cup utterly pointless. It would be the same as the football league trophy but with championship sidees who wouldn't want the hassle of more games for very little additional income. Either the cup staggers on with U21 sides from the prem teams in Europe or they will kill it off. I can see them taking the European spot from the cup at least.

Â