January transfer window 2018

Jareth

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

Yeah if we get the same amount of goals from now on in then the best we can hope for is playoffs.

Pretty sure I said we don't need "that many more goals".  Derby have scored 41 goals so far and are 2nd - we've scored 38 and are 5th.

We don't need to fork out £m's on a striker this window.  A loan signing, sure - but even then, we just need to do slightly better with what we've got.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Charlie Wyke from Bradford would be worth a look. Well rounded "big man" who could play on his own up front if needs be.

No thanks - he's basically just James Hanson-lite.  Scores tap ins and headers at lower league level but won't amass to anything more than that.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Pretty sure I said we don't need "that many more goals".  Derby have scored 41 goals so far and are 2nd - we've scored 38 and are 5th.

We don't need to fork out £m's on a striker this window.  A loan signing, sure - but even then, we just need to do slightly better with what we've got.

Well I definitely agree with your last bit. Loan striker better than what we have is what is needed.

52 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Sturridge is also in the same boat as Ings and Solanke.  Wants games before the World Cup squad is picked.  Again and i agree with you also, plenty of Premiership clubs would take a punt, but you never know.  We need to be patient until the final week of the window i think, then we maybe surprised who joins on loan.  

Sturridge mainly, but also Ings are both risks due to their injuries. I think klopp said Solanki isn't going anywhere 

49 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I would say we need someone a lot better, if you want to get promoted in this league you need an in form striker regularly scoring.

Although we have been unlucky with Kodjia we have been fortunate that Adomah has scored 12 goals this season, however it's unlikely he will keep up that rate playing out wide.

Striker wise, Davis has 2, Gabby 1, Hogan 1 & Kodjia 1

Teams around us have a striker banging in goals... Wolves (Bonatini 12, Jota 11, Cavaleiro 7), Derby (Vydra 14, Nugent 6, Winnall 6), Cardiff (Hoilett 6, Ward 4, Zohore 4), Bristol City (Reid 12, Diedhiou 5)  

Unfortunately this is proving the difference for us currently. Granted the team are chipping in with goals but if we had a 20 goal a season striker (Kodjia) playing week in week out we would now be competing with Wolves on goals scored and possibly (Bruce's tactics aside) competing with them points wise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

I would say we need someone a lot better, if you want to get promoted in this league you need an in form striker regularly scoring.

Although we have been unlucky with Kodjia we have been fortunate that Adomah has scored 12 goals this season, however it's unlikely he will keep up that rate playing out wide.

Teams around us have a striker banging in goals... Wolves (Bonatini 12, Jota 11, Cavaleiro 7), Derby (Vydra 14, Nugent 6, Winnall 6), Cardiff (Hoilett 6, Ward 4, Zohore 4), Bristol City (Reid 12, Diedhiou 5)  

Unfortunately this is proving the difference for us currently. Granted the team are chipping in with goals but if we had a 20 goal a season striker (Kodjia) playing week in week out we would now be competing with Wolves on goals scored and possibly (Bruce's tactics aside) competing with them points wise.

I mostly agree with this but I'm not sure you can really class Junior Hoilett as a striker. To me he's no more of a striker than Adomah so not sure the comparison is that valid when it comes to Cardiff.

I think what it does show is that us and Cardiff are doing particularly well to keep pace with the other team's at the top despite not having a striker that is scoring regularly. Also highlights the impact that a goal scorer could have on our team.

I think the real question is can Hogan step up to the mark and score more regularly for the second half of the season? I'm doubtful so I'd be fully behind the signing of a more reliable striker.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

The guys in bold aren't strikers.  So, yes, the top 2 teams have strikers scoring goals.  It doesn't really matter where they come from, though, as long as you're scoring enough to win games.

On the whole, we are.  A loan signing is fine.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

The guys in bold aren't strikers.  So, yes, the top 2 teams have strikers scoring goals.  It doesn't really matter where they come from, though, as long as you're scoring enough to win games.

On the whole, we are.  A loan signing is fine.

Yep I'm not saying a loan signing won't be fine (by the sounds of it we don't have much choice), I just think we need to be ruthless and get someone in intending to play them for the rest of the season. I like Hogan and I really want him to do well for us but there's a massive question over whether he can bag us the goals over the remainder of the season whilst remaining injury free. If we aren't able to get anyone in till the end of January this gives 2 games to cement his place in the side.

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

I would give Ings a piggyback to B6 if he needs a lift!

Think of all the luggage that would need moving too, would take quite a few trips. By the time you're done moving it all, the loan would have finished then you'd only have to carry it all back again.

Anyway, I'm sure he can afford a car!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Unfortunately i dont think you can keep Bruce's tactics aside when you are talking about strikers scoring like Wolves and Derbys.  I holding out hope Hogan will get more of a chances with our new coach onboard.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Think of all the luggage that would need moving too, would take quite a few trips. By the time you're done moving it all, the loan would have finished then you'd only have to carry it all back again.

Anyway, I'm sure he can afford a car!  

Fool....id bring a trolley!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

My Liverpool season ticket Uncle has said that Ings and Solanke want first team football with the hope of making the World Cup squad.  Both want loans to Premier clubs, but I wonder if this is what Bruce meant about being patient and waiting til the end of the window?  If there are no Premiership takers, do they then consider Championship clubs?  Wouldn't fancy Ings, but Solanke could be a good option.   No doubt there's plenty of other Premiership squad players thinking the same.  The waiting game is horrible, but can see why it happens. 

They might come here for first team football (although actually Solanke has received quite a few minutes this season) but nobody is going to the World Cup for England off the back of four good months in the Championship. 

Diafra Sakho is leaving West Ham, possibly to Newcastle. Shame we have no money or he would be quite a good asset, especially at this level, and he’d probably be good at PL level when we get there.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

Looks like the local media are reporting that out loan deal for Ulloa rests on Leicesters plans to offload Slimani.

As expected it will go down to the wire.

Slimani has been linked heavily with Turkish club Besiktas and if they are to be persuaded to let their record signing leave will want to recoup as much of the £30million they paid to Sporting Lisbon as possible.

If Slimani does leave, the Mercury understands that City will not allow Ulloa to join Villa. If Slimani stays, then Ulloa could go.

Clicky

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Diafra Sakho is leaving West Ham, possibly to Newcastle. Shame we have no money or he would be quite a good asset, especially at this level, and he’d probably be good at PL level when we get there.

Good striker.

Terrible attitude.

15 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Good striker.

Terrible attitude.

Oh really? I hadn’t heard much about him as a person, if his attitude stinks then I’d say forget him anyway. We’re just about getting a team ethic back from the 2015/16 joke of a season so the last thing we need is another Lescott and Gabby.

or dare I say McCormack

Edited by alreadyexists