January transfer window 2018

Jareth

2 hours ago, sne said:

Seen mentioned that we are looking to offload Thor and Lansbury to fund a loan with option to buy for Lewis Grabban.

No idea if there is any substance to it.

Where have you seen that? I still think Lansbury has something to offer, Bjarnason can leave though 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Where have you seen that? I still think Lansbury has something to offer, Bjarnason can leave though 

On a Swedish Villa forum, that in turn had it from some English source.

As I said it's just a rumor, no idea if there's any truth to it at all.

It could be that even thou Lansbury is earning big(ish) money here he in fact want's to play football and feels he isn't getting enough time here?

Edit: In slightly related news Wolves are apparently not interested in Grabban leaving us, Cardiff and whoever else free to fight for his signature.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Yes that pass was sublime, but the trouble is we have too many who want to play there. Ideally I'd send Onomah back but thats not happening as Bruce thinks hes class and thinks we should "break the bank to keep him"

Somethings gotta give, realistically its the ones who can't get in the team under Bruce

Please no. I don't rate him at all.

17 minutes ago, sne said:

Edit: In slightly related news Wolves are apparently not interested in Grabban leaving us, Cardiff and whoever else free to fight for his signature.

This is good news, he'll come to us if a choice and we can afford it. 

6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

True, but you would like to think that Wyness and Round would atleast be making enquiries and drawing up potential targets for when these parent clubs decide the time is right for to let there unfeatured players go?

Without sounding antagonistic, if someone came in now for say Richards on loan, do we tell them to piss off until late January as we want to see who else comes forward with a better offer first?

In this "let's get a loan in" scenario, I imagine we'd be wanting to loan a decent player who isn't first choice at, say, a Premier League team.  The problem with decent players in that they tend to occupy a spot in the squad of, say, 3rd choice.  So until <x> team has ensured that 1st choice and 2nd choice players are staying, why would they let 3rd choice player go?  It could leave them short in the squad.  So they wait, see what happens during the window, and then move accordingly.  It's why loans (tend to) happen later on in the window.

With regards to Richards, no, we wouldn't turn that down - because he's about 9th choice and not a player that we would want to keep around.  I'm guessing that whoever is a potential loan signing in your head, they're above the ability/attitude of Micah Richards.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I really don't understand the clamouring for Lewis Grabban.

He's a decent enough striker, but we've already got decent enough options and for the cost and resale value, he'd just be a waste.

Basically another attempt to buy goals. And we have not been too good at that.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

In this "let's get a loan in" scenario, I imagine we'd be wanting to loan a decent player who isn't first choice at, say, a Premier League team.  The problem with decent players in that they tend to occupy a spot in the squad of, say, 3rd choice.  So until <x> team has ensured that 1st choice and 2nd choice players are staying, why would they let 3rd choice player go?  It could leave them short in the squad.  So they wait, see what happens during the window, and then move accordingly.  It's why loans (tend to) happen later on in the window.

With regards to Richards, no, we wouldn't turn that down - because he's about 9th choice and not a player that we would want to keep around.  I'm guessing that whoever is a potential loan signing in your head, they're above the ability/attitude of Micah Richards.

Really..

I didn't know it worked that way. :o

Must be all in my..  head!

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

Basically another attempt to buy goals. And we have not been too good at that.

We don't even really need that many more goals.

We've scored 38 goals in the league this season - that puts us at a very modest 9th place in terms of top divisional scorers.

However, the scorers above us have 39, 39, 39, 39, 40 (all outside playoffs), 40, 41 and (Wolves) 50 goals.  Free flowing Derby have scored 3 more goals than us.

• Like 1

You’re probably right. I posted that, and then immediately questioned whether he was signed on a free. I think I’m getting him mixed up with Holman. They’re both useless and have floppy hair.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa82 said:

Had a look at Grabban on youtube. A bit like Hogan for me. The goals were tap ins and ran behind the defense. Goals created by others and not by himself. 

Yeah i thought exactly the same. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

We don't even really need that many more goals.

We've scored 38 goals in the league this season - that puts us at a very modest 9th place in terms of top divisional scorers.

However, the scorers above us have 39, 39, 39, 39, 40 (all outside playoffs), 40, 41 and (Wolves) 50 goals.  Free flowing Derby have scored 3 more goals than us.

We scored 13 in the games against Bristol, Norwich and Burton. So only 25 in the other 23 games, goals are still something of a concern I think.

IF we go for Grabban I really hope it isn't a straight transfer but rather a loan with option to buy.

We already have a group of strikers not good enough for the PL, we don't need to buy another.

We've spent almost £40m on Championship level strikers, lets not do it again.

Grabban has had a good first half of the season, so did Hogan before he came here...

If we are promoted he'll be another who won't cut it meaning we'll have at least 3 striker to get rid of.

If we fail to get promoted he might be a solid option, but that's a horrible scenario either way.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rob182 said:

You’re probably right. I posted that, and then immediately questioned whether he was signed on a free. I think I’m getting him mixed up with Holman. They’re both useless and have floppy hair.

You can't get mixed up between two players that were signed 6 yrs apart. Come on man pull your socks up! Get that squad list printed out :P