January transfer window 2018

Jareth

The amount of money Leicester have wasted on Slimani & Iheanacho (perhaps too early to judge) is incredible and compares to McCormack/Kodjia/Hogan in relative spending, the only difference being they're in the Premier League so they can afford it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I miss MysteryMan, especially when it comes to threads like these. :( 

Who remembers when MM said that we were about to make a signing that will send us into meltdown, and then it transpired that we were signing Bent for £18million. Those were the days. 

@MYSTERYMAN - come back! 

Well considering the fact that he got slaughtered if something didn't come off, you can't blame him for making an exit.

Also, he could have been a part of an old regimes etc.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well considering the fact that he got slaughtered if something didn't come off, you can't blame him for making an exit.

I don’t blame him, I blame others. :angry:

He only made a few hundred posts I believe, but each one was like reading a section in a good book that you just don’t want to end. :(:( 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Some will say this is ridiculous but i got the impression that more than 1 person was posting as MM. The grammar of his posts seem to change drastically. 

Edited by av1

42 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I don’t blame him, I blame others. :angry:

He only made a few hundred posts I believe, but each one was like reading a section in a good book that you just don’t want to end. :(:( 

Good use of emoticons there. I felt your anger and sadness. 

The power of an emoticon!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

The amount of money Leicester have wasted on Slimani & Iheanacho (perhaps too early to judge) is incredible and compares to McCormack/Kodjia/Hogan in relative spending, the only difference being they're in the Premier League so they can afford it.

You think that's bad? A certain manager once bought Graham and Fletcher for 20 million combined. You think we are run bad? How could something like that ever be allowed to happen?

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You think that's bad? A certain manager once bought Graham and Fletcher for 20 million combined. You think we are run bad? How could something like that ever be allowed to happen?

Yes well after a fairly successful start that manager had poor returns in spending money here too.

I'm not saying the new regime is bad by any means but in hindsight we could have used that £33-35m more wisely and be Premier League bound with Wolves, instead of being a promotion contender whilst being hamstrung by FFP rules.

Along with Terry and Samba, the players with contracts up at the end of the season are Bunn, Hutton and Agbonlahor.

GK - Johnstone (on loan until June 2018 with recall option), Bunn, Steer (2019)

Assuming SJ stays and Steer is back up we're looking set in the Keeper dept. Losing Bunn wouldn't be the worst thing especially if Sarkic comes back from Wigan.

DL - Taylor (2021),

DR - Hutton, RDL (2019), Elmohamady (2020), Bree (2021)

DC - Terry, Samba, Elphick (2019), Richards (2019), Suliman (2019), Chester (2020)

So at the back the weirdly large collection of right backs becomes even more apparent when written down like this. Obviously if you count Hutton as a LB and Elmohamady as cover for Snodgrass then it leaves RDL and Bree. At CB, Suliman to go on loan makes a lot of sense all round. Losing Richards is dream land. And fair play to Elphick and Hutton who have both proved useful this season, though they have both been on my not wanted list at various times. Financially they are the most saleable assets imo along with RDL in that there's probably takers and their value is diminishing and their wages are probably on the higher side, but maybe it would cut our noses off at this point. If no one else is leaving sending Bree out on loan also makes sense to me. As Bruce says though in the old days sending people out for a month to get match fit made lots of sense. Without being able to recall people though even with 4 Right backs atm we could be a couple of injuries away from needing Bree on the front line. The two problems we really have though to my mind are the lack of left back cover and Micah Richards leaching money, contributing nothing...... Only another £3.6m or so to go with that one. As for the full back debacle well its been done to death. We know Amavi was a money decision. No one ultimately knew if/when RDL would recover and giving him time to come back can only be a good thing surely. As Hutton has done so well at LB this year and Elphick has proven his worth maybe we're ok until the summer.

DMC - Jedinak (2019), Whelan (2019), Lyden (2019)

MC - Onomah (on loan until June 2018 with recall option), Hourihane (2020), Doyle-Hayes (2020), Bjarnason (2020), Tshibola (2020), Lansbury (2021)

Central Midfield then. If everyone is fit we have Jedinak and Whelan for the holding role. Lyden as back up needs games imo. a loan would be good (did he get injured again though?) Hourihane has made the box to box role his atm with Lansbury, Onomah, Bjarnason, Tshibola and Doyle-Hayes all able to deputise. I honestly don't know who the pick of that bunch is. On his day it would be Onomah but he's so inconsistent and like Tshibola seems to drift around. Ive not seen Doyle Hayes tbf. Lansbury is an able squad player but hardly inspiring. Ive not been impressed with Bjarnason or Tshibola. I know I'm also making a rod for my own back trying to categorise the players by position - BB's a left winger right? But if Onomah's going to stay and Doyle-Hayes has a bit about him we could lose Lansbury, Bjarnason and Tshibola if there were any takers imo. Especially if we're looking into the possibility of another loan like Amartey who can play in the middle. Turning Lansbury and Bjarnason over for profit would do us well especially considering that's not going to happen with Tshibola. 9 players fighting it out for 2 or 3 positions is excessive though by anyone's measure. Bjarnason, Tshibola and Lansbury out the door makes sense to me if possible.

AMC - O'Hare (2019), Grealish (2020)

No issues here imo - especially as Onomah and Kodjia can play here when fit.

AML - Green (2019), Adomah (2020)

POTS so far in Adomah and Green looking good before the injury. Hard to argue we need to add to the squad here in the short term. Especially with Agbonlahor, Kodjia and RHM able to deputise if fit.

AMR - Snodgrass (on loan until June 2018)

I can see RHM out here if we need him. Adomah and Elmohamady obviously providing back up. Kodjia and Gabby both been used out here as even has Hogan I believe. But then this is at the heart of our troubles for me - however much the supporting line has done well for us this season, and it has - we have lots of players filling in all over the place. Onomah has been used out right a few times for instance. No one really has settled positions past the first XI and in the case of Adomah for instance we stumbled into his usefulness down the left. I can't help but think this is what leads to us looking so disjointed at times with players looking unsure of what to do and what those around them are doing. Adomah - Grealish - Snodgrass picks itself at the moment. Kodjia Green and O'Hare fleetingly effective at times this season there too. Like I say I see RHM wide in a 4-2-3-1. Those 7 look good on paper it's just keeping them all fit it seems and lots of pressure on some young shoulders. And if half our strikers are really part of the supporting cast....

STC - Agbonlahor, RHM (2020), Kodjia (2020), Davis (2020), Hogan (2021)

Problems up front for us despite the numbers. Kodjia's out for the season effectively. Hard to see RHM leading the line. Both as I said earlier are probably more suited to a role in the 3 in any 4-2-3-1 we play. Hogan has been disappointing. Davis has done well as the only real target man, but hardly prolific. Gabby is done imo. Not surprising then that our priority this window seems to be getting in a target man at least to cover Kodjia's absence. Ulloa seems like a good idea if we can do it.

Loans out:
Sarkic (out on loan @ Wigan until Jan 2018) (2020)
McCormack (out on loan @Melbourne until Jan 2018) (2020)

Gollini (out on loan @Atalanta until June 2018) (2020)
Gardner (out on loan @Barnsley until June 2018) (2020)
Gil (out on loan @Deportivo until June 2018) (2019)

All in all it's still a right mess imho. But the difference from the previous few years is that we have a competitive XV and the mess is getting smaller all the time. We are still a Left back, a striker and a proper winger away from a really balanced squad imo. Bunn, Richards and Agbonlahor along with McCormack, Gardner, Gollini and Gil look like they're done here. All of them a drain (or potential future drain) on resources. 3 of the first team are here on loan. Hutton, Terry and Samba out of contract at the end of the season.

In my ideal world and assuming SJ and Onomah stay for the season I'd be looking to get Bunn out and Sarkic back in from loan, Hutton out and a left back in, Richards, Tshibola, Bjarnason out. Lansbury out and a central midfielder in. Agbonlahor and McCormack out and Target Man in. And then a winger. I know I know FFP etc etc. I'm not expecting any of it to happen past a striker coming in. But we are still disjointed in my eyes. Too much deadwood in a bloated squad. And it's hard to commit too much until we know what next season holds in store.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What about @thetrees and his aircraft updates! The drama and suspense! 

Indeed, another one who was privy to some information and sharing it despite risks with work. Got slammed for not sharing frequently enough or if RLs jet went somewhere else!