World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

Only a few a more days till we hear commentators say hochim lov, yogi lurv, wochim lurv, hogi lurv everytime the German y manager shows up on screen.

Thank god prandelli isn't in charge of Italy any more, boiled my piss every time Gary lineker pronounced Cesare as "chesray".

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Wolves fans piped down a bit now thqt portugal squad has been named

Him at swansea on loan from bayern whos name i cant even remember has had a fall from grace hasnt he

There was also that young Polish kid at the last euros who was supposed to be a major talent, Leicester signed him and he's not been heard of again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah something tells me no one feels sorry for joe Hart, jack wilshere maybe but hes not a guaranteed starter for arsenal, maybe not played enough football, needs to pick where he is next season very carefully 

Wilshere would do well in Seria A I reckon. Couldn't believe he apparently turned down AC Milan and Roma start of last season.

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

There was also that young Polish kid at the last euros who was supposed to be a major talent, Leicester signed him and he's not been heard of again.

He is in Germany now. City signed Zinchenko as well after Euros and he only getting sniff of first team now

11 hours ago, Genie said:

I know it’s probably claret tinted glasses but I’d have been really tempted to put Grealish in the squad. His ability to hold the ball, win fouls and see out games is worth it alone. 

I want Jack nowhere near the England setup. The next 10 weeks for Grealish should be: Win us the playoff, a nice few weeks in the sun somewhere recovering from last season, before a nice preseason.

Come back ready to fire Villa to the top of the Prem. :thumb:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bobzy said:

During a wildcard (I.e: hit “random” 3 times and play as the team it lands on) game on an old version of Pro Evo, Bernard Mendy scored a hat-trick from right wing-back for me as my Hull side beat my mates’ Chelsea side 3-2. One was a screamer from about 40 yards. 

Complete cult hero, purely because of this :wub:

Off topic, but my fifa manager mode a couple of years ago, I was Portugal manager in the euros and playing with them I scraped through the playoffs, lost Ronaldo to injury, got through to the final via a late screamer after clinging on the whole game, then drew in the final before chucking on Eder who scored the winner in extra time. All this was about a year before it all actually happened. 

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would be up for that; how does it work on here?

We need someone trust worthy like @blandy or @BOF to collect the agreed amount. Then once we have 32 players one of them can draw the teams for each person. 

Or we could do this

http://www.sweepstakegenerator.com/free-russia-world-cup-2018-sweepstake

4 hours ago, villan-scott said:

I have a feeling that the complete lack of expectancy, pressure and belief in this England squad will play into our hands, and I can see us doing quite well. Semis I reckon! 

Nah, full hard-ons I reckon 

• Haha 2

Haven’t had chance to comment in here since the squad announcement.

Going forward England look decent. Defence though is worrying, not sure how Jones has got near that squad, guy is rubbish, and if going there at the back he would ruin that as his distribution is Nathan Baker esque.

France very similar to England as good going forward (could even leave out koman which is a surprise) but defence shaky, surprised they haven’t played Laporte as he seemed decent at city. 

Looks like Southgate picked the wrong Man Utd centre back.

Smalling, one of the only Utd players to come out with any credit in the cup final.

as for Jones - he really is a bit toilet isn’t he?

17 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Also how Henderson keeps getting a game I don't know. 

Can't be _that_ many better options than the captain of the team in the CL final...

I actually think Henderson's a decent player, Milner lite in the understated way he goes about things in midfield covering space and breaking up play.

Problem is when England play him and Dier in central midfield that's essentially two identical players in their skill sets so lack of creativity. Would work better if you had a Shelvey next to one of them.

On 19/05/2018 at 19:14, theboyangel said:

as for Jones - he really is a bit toilet isn’t he?

There must be one critical bit of wiring missing in his brain.  OK any defender can get themselves into an undesireable position, especially against Eden Hazard, but to go with the wrong foot, and facing in the wrong direction at the time was pure Jones.  And the face pull was just the icing.  The whole thing gets worse the more you see it.

But any way, back to the world cup context.  It's a toss-up between them but I'd probably have gone with Smalling too.

• Like 2

Â