World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

Looks woeful on paper.

Unfortunately i can't really think of any players who should be there instead of some of the names listed. Southgate hasn't really got a deep talent pool to pick from. 

What a boring squad and standby list :D

Would have loved at least one attacking wildcard.

If Neves is good enough for Portugal (who have a better squad than us), why isn't Grealish good enough?

Jeez, you know you've lost interest in the premier league when you look at the England World Cup squad and realise there are players in there that you've never heard of!

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

why isn't Grealish good enough?

We need Grealish going to Russia and having a great tournament like we need a hole in the head. Southgate knows this, and has decided to let him have a good rest instead so he's in peak condition for Villa come August.

Edited by MrDuck
  • Like 1

the main outrage so far seems to be over livermore and lallana being on the stand by list

not sure on RLC, cahill has been shit this year, welbeck isnt good enough, alexander arnold is a 3rd RB

honestly dont know what the answer would be though, its not shelvey and wilshere, is it grealish or maddison? doubt that too, would have liked jack just to see him play, i think we will build our team around dier - alli - kane but at the same time with lallana out we have no option to rest alli without changing our shape (maybe lingard?) i think jack would have been a great back up for that role

10 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Jeez, you know you've lost interest in the premier league when you look at the England World Cup squad and realise there are players in there that you've never heard of!

pope, pickford, maguire, alexander arnold, loftus cheek

5 players in this squad that i dont think i've ever actually seen play before

54 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I would pick Grealish over Alli any day. *takes cover*

I honestly think its short sighted to ignore Grealish altogether, he offers something no one else does in that squad. Don't agree with taking him over Ali though,

Honestly that England team is shocking. Defence and midfield both look horribly short. 

Slightly worrying that Sterling looks the standout midfielder. He's had a great season but will be found out when he's not surrounded by Man Citys superstars.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zatman said:

11 defenders if include Dier and Delph who has played there all season for City

But when you’re playing 5 at the back isn’t that about right? A World Cup squad is really your first XI, back ups for them and a third keeper.

54 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

alexander arnold is a 3rd RB ...

.... but at the same time with lallana out we have no option to rest alli without changing our shape (maybe lingard?)

Southgate likes Walker as a part of his back three, he actually played really well there in the last two friendlies. So TAA is not a bad option for RWB when Walker is probably 4th choice CB. Can’t think of any English fullbacks that haven’t gone who’ve had a better season than him, and a CL final to come.

Also Lingard started behind Kane and Sterling in the last two friendlies. He might even be ahead of Alli in the pecking order, and has definitely been brought to play that role.

Grealish, Jadon Sancho or even Bailey would have been exciting - but was never really gonna happen.He’s settled on his system, didn’t really see a wildcard happening.

I think Smalling was unlucky to miss out for Cahill and I would have taken Wilshere over Delph - but it’s all a bit meh. A shame Ox is out, but he hasn’t really left anyone at home that could make a difference. Will still cheer them on, hope they surprise me.

• Like 1

I've not really been paying attention to the Premier League but I thought Ashley Young had been receiving lots of plaudits this season. Does he not get a sniff?

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not been paying much attention to the squad list either, it seems :P

Mostly the fact that I hadn't considered him as a defender. ?‍♂️

• Like 2

I think its a World Cup with no clear favourite and very open

Spain: lack a David Villa type player to get them through tight games

Germany: poor goalkeeper and shaky defence

Argentina: too reliant on Messi and some shocking players at back

Brazil: Form team but Neymar injured and a bit unproven

France: great squad on paper but cant win big games and have a poor manager

Portugal: old team but probably too reliant on Ronaldo

Belgium: No real balance and again a poor manager

Then you have teams like Poland, England, Uruguay, Colombia, Croatia, Mexico even Switzerland who have talent and will scare the big boys but probably lack consistency to go far

I quite fancy France, but that potential blow in losing Payet may hurt them (hopefully just a small thing for his sake).

England squad is underwhelming but pretty much as expected. Huge lol having Heaton on the backup list who has played, what, 0 games this season? “**** you, Joe Hart!”

Â