World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not surprised i wouldnt take them though Neuer a big risk

Returned to training this week.  I'd take him in the 3rd spot on the off chance he regains full fitness (it is 'goalkeeper fitness' after all).  You don't need 3 keepers anyway, and leaving him at home is mental if there's a chance.

• Like 1

Predicted squad:

Pope, Butland, Pickford; Walker, Trippier, Stones, Jones, Tarkowski, Maguire, Rose, Young; eDier, Delph, Loftus-Cheek, Hnderson, Lallana, Lingard, Alli; Sterling, Kane, Rashford, Vardy (plus one of Welbeck, Wilshere or Alexander-Arnold - probably Wilshere).

58 minutes ago, BOF said:

Returned to training this week.  I'd take him in the 3rd spot on the off chance he regains full fitness (it is 'goalkeeper fitness' after all).  You don't need 3 keepers anyway, and leaving him at home is mental if there's a chance.

Thing is he has been expected to return to training for last 4 months

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Thing is he has been expected to return to training for last 4 months

It's only provisional anyway.  I'm sure the bogey eater will assess.

1 hour ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Predicted squad:

Pope, Butland, Pickford; Walker, Trippier, Stones, Jones, Tarkowski, Maguire, Rose, Young; eDier, Delph, Loftus-Cheek, Hnderson, Lallana, Lingard, Alli; Sterling, Kane, Rashford, Vardy (plus one of Welbeck, Wilshere or Alexander-Arnold - probably Wilshere).

I am 43 and that is the worst squad I can remember on paper however I expect us to surprise a few and do pretty well.

5 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

I am 43 and that is the worst squad I can remember on paper however I expect us to surprise a few and do pretty well.

Even England should get out of that group, and they've a relatively kind last 16 waiting for them (Poland or Colombia).  Sadly, they've either Brazil or Germany waiting in the quarters if I've read it correctly.  Brazil if they win the group & Germany if they're runner-up.

Joe Hart being dropped is best thing to happen to England. Think they will do ok but Southgate has been practicing 3 at back which will be toothless vs Panama and Tunisia

Those strikers though :lol:

Imagine having messi, aguero, higuian, dybala and icardi to pick from, as well as correa, pavon and Martinez (correa got his big move then i think missed a year through injury, pavon and martinez coming to a top european team or dodgy russian one this summer)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Predicted squad:

Bertrand and Livermore have played a lot in qualifying though and I'd be surprised if either miss out. Rose, Young, LC and Lallana would be the ones in danger of missing out.

Can't really get excited about this. First time I've ever felt about a World Cup.

Hitting home now how many decent teams aren't there (Holland, Italy, Chile, U.S etc) so don't think groups will be that interesting this time.

8 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Predicted squad:

is eDier going to be a World Cup first? An Eric Dier robot played by England’s top Fifa 18 eSports player?

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Can't really get excited about this. First time I've ever felt about a World Cup.

Hitting home now how many decent teams aren't there (Holland, Italy, Chile, U.S etc) so don't think groups will be that interesting this time.

Decent names not good teams

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Those strikers though :lol:

Imagine having messi, aguero, higuian, dybala and icardi to pick from, as well as correa, pavon and Martinez (correa got his big move then i think missed a year through injury, pavon and martinez coming to a top european team or dodgy russian one this summer)

They scored 19 goals in 18 games in the South American qualifying.

Problem is their players feel the weight of the shirt. Higuain misses chances he'd score with his eyes closed for Juventus. Aguero's never done much for them and usually picks up an injury, Icardi in his starts was hitting the keeper when one on one and Dybala plays same position as Messi.

Comes down as usual to Messi having to create and also score.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Decent names not good teams

True, Chile are still a good team though, just a victim of how much quality is in South America.

All of those would've been second pot teams so think the groups are a lot weaker so won't get as many shocks. Think of the big names Portugal are the only ones in danger of not making last 16 as Morocco could be a surprise package looking at their squad.

Brazil and Germany better both safely navigate their groups or they face each other in the last 16*.  Same goes for France & Argentina, and to be honest France & particularly Argentina face much trickier group opponents.

* Obviously they can both technically also come runner-up and avoid each other, but that's far less likely.

Â