World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

28 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I would have gone for Lascalles. Either way hopefully Jones doesn't get a minute for us. Stones, Walker, Cahill, Maguire all ahead of him for me. 

Yeah I think the logic might have been 'if we're starting with the others, at least have experience on the bench' so in that sense you go with a Man Utd player who has done it before.  Rather than bringing Lascelles and having Cahill as the only experienced centreback in the squad. 

There was a time I really rated Jones, and I think he could have been brilliant...but that time has come and gone. Injuries and lack of games at a crucial time has done it for him.

Watching him run like a madman trying to catch Hazard, arms flailing and all form and technique going out the window was painful.
The stride of a man who once had a bit of pace, searching desperately to find it, but it was never coming. I remember it when Bellamy cruised past Rio many a year ago.

No Fabregas, Morata, Pedro, Javi Martinez, Bellerin or Sergio Roberto in the Spain squad.

Pretty shocked that Marcos Alonso didn't make the squad.

Very strong squad but perhaps without the extreme star power they used to have. 

Should be right up there if they get it together.

• Like 1

Naingolan and Martinez haven't got on ever since his appointment. With that being said, Naingolan is one of the best in the world, and would probably get into any national team's starting XI. 

Belgium's midfield is still very strong. De Bruyne,  Dembele, and Dendonker is likely their midfield three. Also have Fellaini and Tielemans. 

Messi gets his wish and no Icardi in the WC squad.

Not that they lack in firepower with Messi, Dybala, Aguero and Higuain.

Still, if you are not friends with Messi you won't get in the teams he plays in.

I mean, presumably you don't want a squad who are riven by tension, containing two people who despise each other, so ultimately if the choice comes down to one or the other, you pick the better one, and that's what they've done. 

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I mean, presumably you don't want a squad who are riven by tension, containing two people who despise each other, so ultimately if the choice comes down to one or the other, you pick the better one, and that's what they've done. 

Maybe but if want win a World Cup you put grudges to side. I dont think they have ever played together either as Icardi has a paltry 4 caps and 100 goals since he won his 1st cap

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Icardi stole Maxi Lopez wife and Lopez is a good friend of Messi

Wasn't there more to the story than Icardi just taking Lopez's wife? I remember hearing Lopez was a shite father and husband. Icardi was helping raise the kids even before he got with his wife. 

This is just what I read on reddit, so obviously I am not saying it's true. 

2 hours ago, sne said:

Messi gets his wish and no Icardi in the WC squad.

Not that they lack in firepower with Messi, Dybala, Aguero and Higuain.

Still, if you are not friends with Messi you won't get in the teams he plays in.

dont think he's performed well in previous games and the manager has stated he doesnt tactically fit in to the team (neither dies dybala tbf)

add to that the front line of messi, dybala, higuain and aguero its a harder argument

personally im looking forward to seeing pavon play, been a FM wonderkid for about 4 years now

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

dont think he's performed well in previous games and the manager has stated he doesnt tactically fit in to the team (neither dies dybala tbf)

add to that the front line of messi, dybala, higuain and aguero its a harder argument

personally im looking forward to seeing pavon play, been a FM wonderkid for about 4 years now

Dybala has done nothing in 12 caps while Icardi has had 4, 1 when he was 20. Throw in only 5 players in Europe got more goals than him this season in the league and Higuain and Aguero go missing on international duty in the past

• Like 1

It depends on Aguero's fitness I think.  The last world cup I seem to remember he was barely half fit, so if it happens again they may regret not having another option.  Their defence is normally shit anyway so it doesn't matter.

pity Maradona is not back in charge he would have squeezed Messi, Aguero, Dybala, Higuain, Icardi and Di Maria into the one line up :P

with Palermo and Saviola to come off the bench if needed a goal

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Dybala is somewhat overrated and Higuain shouldn't have ever played for Argentina again after the last world cup. Icadi would be a better option than both.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â