World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

8 hours ago, BOF said:

I'd be surprised if Poland and Colombia don't come out of Group H.  Senegal aren't what they used to be and Japan are too soft a touch to cope with the other 2.  For me the group that's wide open is Group E.  Brazil will win it, but Switzerland, Serbia and Costa Rica can all lay legitimate claim to 2nd place.  That'll be one tough bastard of a group.

Senegal have arguably got a better squad than 2002...Mane is a better striker than Diouf/Henri Camara. Gana and Kouyate is a decent enough midfield and Koulibaly at the back is one of the best centre halves at the tournament if you watch him regularly for Napoli. Japan aren't what they were though. Looking forward to that group , think they'll be a lot of high scoring and entertaining games.

Edited by VillaChris

7 hours ago, BOF said:

I can't see Iceland or Nigeria getting anywhere near coming out of that group.  For me that one's a lock.  Actually, Croatia would be my dark horse from the non-footballing superpowers.

Nigeria gave Argentina a very good game at last World cup.

Think Croatia will top the group, Argentina just in second.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Nigeria gave Argentina a very good game at last World cup.

Think Croatia will top the group, Argentina just in second.

That would put France vs Argentina next round ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Depends what sort of interview he gave. If it was a quick press conference soundbite one then yes I can understand that comment coming out.

If it was a 1 hour sit down interview with say a Henry Winter then to me the quarter final comment would be more logical. It's no good to me saying England can win the World cup without saying how they'll do it e.g. context. Does he believe the style of play will nulify the likes of France, Germany and Brazil?

I honestly believe people wouldn't give Kane stick if he just said quarters as most now know the England team is pretty mediocre as the last 10 years have shown with the performances at major finals.

If he said quarters he would get bombarded, people saying he’s not ambitious etc.

We all know we’re not going to win, but I have no problem with kane and Southgate thinking we can. They’ve got to get into that mindset

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BOF said:

I'd be surprised if Poland and Colombia don't come out of Group H.  Senegal aren't what they used to be and Japan are too soft a touch to cope with the other 2.  For me the group that's wide open is Group E.  Brazil will win it, but Switzerland, Serbia and Costa Rica can all lay legitimate claim to 2nd place.  That'll be one tough bastard of a group.

I'd be surprised if Colombia don't qualify, but it's a close group.  I think I'd probably tip Senegal to qualify with them (they're the strongest African team there IMO - expecting Mane and Niang to cause that group problems), but I wouldn't be confident picking the winner.  There's a case for any of them to go through!  It's the only group like it on paper.

59 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'd be surprised if Colombia don't qualify, but it's a close group.  I think I'd probably tip Senegal to qualify with them (they're the strongest African team there IMO - expecting Mane and Niang to cause that group problems), but I wouldn't be confident picking the winner.  There's a case for any of them to go through!  It's the only group like it on paper.

E is tighter IMHO.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

E is tighter IMHO.

Brazil will comfortably win that. Costa Rica have ageing team and won't have that surprise package element. Swiss usually do enough to get second but Serbia have decent players so will come down to match between the two I think.

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Brazil will comfortably win that. Costa Rica have ageing team and won't have that surprise package element. Swiss usually do enough to get second but Serbia have decent players so will come down to match between the two I think.

Yeah Brazil win it.  Everyone else comes second :P  :P  

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Yeah Brazil win it.  Everyone else comes second :P  :P  

Apart from Costa Rica. And Serbia if they have a meltdown. :lol:

Think Argies group will be far more difficult for them than the one Brazil have so that will be closer points wise I think.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

E is tighter IMHO.

Not for me.  You have a clear winner - Brazil - and a clear weak link - Costa Rica.  It's close between Switzerland and Serbia, possibly.  H doesn't have this at all; potentially Japan as the weak link.

I think F is a tighter group than E.  Germany should win it, but you could make a case for any of Mexico/Sweden/South Korea finishing second.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Not for me.  You have a clear winner - Brazil - and a clear weak link - Costa Rica.

f241517116dc0071dfe3580236940b56.png

Costa Rica are not a weak link.  Anyhoo, we'll agree to disagree :)

• Like 3

Costa Rica won't have the same surprise qualities anymore. They qualified as usual comfortably but their results in friendlies recently have been poor, Spain put 5 past them recently.

In that 2014 tournament a lot of their defence were in their 30s so no idea if they have new players there or relying on same names. Likes of Bryan Ruiz, Oviedo and Joel Campbell have hardly played this season.

Think it will be like Greece won euro 2004 and then in euro 2008 they finished bottom of the group losing all three games.

Just checked and they have called up Yeltsin so going down that experienced route a little too much....:lol:

Edited by VillaChris

42 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I see our media is trying their best to de-rail our World Cup campaign. 

What are they at?

Just now, omariqy said:

Sterling story. They are questioning whether he should step down from the team. Ridiculous. 

Just googled. Ah yes, the gun tattoo. OFTLOG.  Fauxtrage FTL.

fed-up-woman.gif

27 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Sterling story. They are questioning whether he should step down from the team. Ridiculous. 

a guy popped up on my twitter feed posting sterlings front page headlines from the last couple of years, they really dont like him do they? not buying in to the comments that its because he's black but some of them are absolutely ridiculous, sterling shopping at poundland is somehow not only news but also a way of criticising him

its also frankly ridiculous to think that a kid sees an M16 assault rifle on a footballers leg and thinks "im going to get me some of that"

Edited by villa4europe

Â