World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Thauvin has been Marseille best player.  ex Premier League players Steve Mandanda and Steve Nzonzi make the squad but very young squad

Bernard Mendy is in ?

Brave call to bring him out of retirement. Must be hoping he can rediscover his form from the glory days at Hull...............

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Thauvin has been Marseille best player.  ex Premier League players Steve Mandanda and Steve Nzonzi make the squad but very young squad

Bernard Mendy is in ?

France bit weak in full back area, Debuchy actually made the provisional squad. One of the Hernandez brothers will probably start at LB.

Bemused Laporte from Man. City didn't get called up.

Names cut form Portugal squad: Rolando, Luis Neto, Antunes, Nelson Semedo (that one surprises me), Joao Cancelo, Andre Gomes, Ruben Neves, Sergio Oliveria, Nani, Eder, Rony lopes and Paulinho.

Can see Portugal going out first round. Have Spain first game so losing that will put them under big pressure. Morocco have very decent side and Iran will be difficult to beat with Quieroz managing.

When you look at their central defenders it does seem to be a farewell tournament for a few of their squad.

10 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Brave call to bring him out of retirement. Must be hoping he can rediscover his form from the glory days at Hull...............

During a wildcard (I.e: hit “random” 3 times and play as the team it lands on) game on an old version of Pro Evo, Bernard Mendy scored a hat-trick from right wing-back for me as my Hull side beat my mates’ Chelsea side 3-2. One was a screamer from about 40 yards. 

Complete cult hero, purely because of this :wub:

11 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

DdbGKscV0AAT_5C.jpg:large

Is this team going to be constantly described as “Ronaldo’s Portugal” again?

Eg. Gary Lineker: “tune in tomorrow night to see Ronaldo’s Portugal take on....”

Pisses me off.

• Like 1

I'm happy with the England squad.

I mean it's a weak squad, but from the players that were available I think he's picked pretty much the right players.

Southgate has been decent so far, imo.

• Like 4

I like Southgate and I like the squad. He's gone for players that fit his system and can play the way he wants them to play as a team. I expect to see a team like this start the first game:

Pope/Butland

Walker                           Stones                   Maguire

Trippier                                                                                                 Rose

Henderson                        Dier

Alli/Lingard                                      Sterling

Kane 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Is this team going to be constantly described as “Ronaldo’s Portugal” again?

Eg. Gary Lineker: “tune in tomorrow night to see Ronaldo’s Portugal take on....”

Pisses me off.

He is kind of one of the best players of all time and one of the two biggest names in world football right now (and for past decade)..........I'd say there's some justification for it.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm happy with the England squad.

I mean it's a weak squad, but from the players that were available I think he's picked pretty much the right players.

Southgate has been decent so far, imo.

I know it’s probably claret tinted glasses but I’d have been really tempted to put Grealish in the squad. His ability to hold the ball, win fouls and see out games is worth it alone. 

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

I know it’s probably claret tinted glasses but I’d have been really tempted to put Grealish in the squad. His ability to hold the ball, win fouls and see out games is worth it alone. 

I would too but it was never going to happen. He'll get there eventually though. 

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I would too but it was never going to happen. He'll get there eventually though. 

I'm just waiting for Jacks Instagram post about how pissed off he is, that Southgate is a clueless idiot and he is clearly a vastly superior player to everyone else in the squad. All that being said I'll be cheering the boys on etc etc 

• Like 1

Â