World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

3 hours ago, tommybread said:

Leon Bailey? He isn't eligible for England and never will be. 

Fair few putting Sancho forward, surely Lookman deserved a shout as he's actually been playing well for Leipzig in Bundesliga, scoring and assisting.

Unless I missed him being tapped up by an African nation like Zaha was, surprised no one's mentioned him.

It's a last 16 squad. I couldn't see that beating Colombia for instance which could easily be the match in the second round.

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I quite fancy France, but that potential blow in losing Payet may hurt them (hopefully just a small thing for his sake).

England squad is underwhelming but pretty much as expected. Huge lol having Heaton on the backup list who has played, what, 0 games this season? “**** you, Joe Hart!”

Payet's not been a regular for France in last year. Last played for them in October when he came on as sub in both games.

Their attacking options are Griezmann, Mbappe, Lacazette, Giroud, O Dembele, Kingsley Coman, Anthony Martial and Nabil Fekir so not too shabby in that department.

7 hours ago, andym said:

Looks woeful on paper.

Unfortunately i can't really think of any players who should be there instead of some of the names listed. Southgate hasn't really got a deep talent pool to pick from. 

That squad will probably win one game in the group and draw the others. Knocked out by the first decent opposition they come up against.

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

I'd never heard of Alexander Arnold until reading that list .

Couldn't even tell you who he plays for.

Image result for out of the loop gif

Same team as Joe Gomez and Dominic Solanke....

Actually didn't even realise he was English until start of the season. Thought with a name like that he was American or something. Pretty sure there was a Trent that played for the US team a while ago.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think its a World Cup with no clear favourite and very open

Spain: so good they don’t need a villa type

Germany: its ze Germans 

Argentina: too reliant on Messi and some shocking players at back-actually agreee on this 

Brazil: Form team and Neymar fully fit for when it matters

France: great squad on paper and on the pitch 

Portugal: old team but probably too reliant on Ronaldo-agree

Belgium-if they click. THE dark horse  

Then you have teams like Poland, England, Uruguay, Colombia, Croatia, Mexico even Switzerland who have talent and will scare the big boys but probably lack consistency to go far

My devils advocate!

it will be one of Spain. Brazil. Germany. France. 

Got a bet on Brazil. Last time I did they won it! (C) mystic meg. 

Looking forward to this.

It'll be the first football outside of Villa I have watched in some years, not including the Champions League.

Surprised to see Loftus-Cheek in there. Never seen him play but at 2 goals and 4 assists, I don't understand why you over look Wilshere, Lallana and even our own Grealish.

Sterling is your best threat from midfield, after that I'd say it would be Alli or Grealish, although I haven't seen Lingard play. Maybe he went for physicality? 

I want to see England do well, it's overdue, and would make it a better competition.

My tip is Brazil or Belgium.

I don't think I have many prejudices, but just anyone but Germany.

TAA has been good, so deserved it. Cahill is a bit lucky, but some experience in there won't hurt and with Hart and Wilshire discarded it makes some sense.

Grealish may well be good enough to be in there, but going straight from Championship to a World Cup is a big leap and one I'd not be blaming any manager for taking into account.

I don't think the squad is too bad, could get to the QFs, people over-estimate how bang average most of the other sides are, bar 3 or 4.

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Payet's not been a regular for France in last year. Last played for them in October when he came on as sub in both games.

Their attacking options are Griezmann, Mbappe, Lacazette, Giroud, O Dembele, Kingsley Coman, Anthony Martial and Nabil Fekir so not too shabby in that department.

They have a terrible manager though. They won't win it.

8 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

it will be one of Spain. Brazil. Germany. France.

They are precisely the 4 I think it's between too :thumb: I know it's not exactly rocket surgery to pick those big names.

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Fair few putting Sancho forward, surely Lookman deserved a shout as he's actually been playing well for Leipzig in Bundesliga, scoring and assisting.

Yeah, you would think they'd at least ...

2ag55g.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Think he'd have a chance after this season - same with Thauvin who has been immense for Marseille.  Their squad announcement is today (might have been?) so will be interesting to see who is going!

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Same team as Joe Gomez and Dominic Solanke....

Actually didn't even realise he was English until start of the season. Thought with a name like that he was American or something. Pretty sure there was a Trent that played for the US team a while ago.

I don't know who they are or who they play for either .?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

Think he'd have a chance after this season - same with Thauvin who has been immense for Marseille.  Their squad announcement is today (might have been?) so will be interesting to see who is going!

Thauvin is in, he must've massively improved since going back as he was very lightweight at Newcastle, similar to Veretout thinking about it.

Martial,Payet,  Kingsley Coman and Lacazette all left out of final squad.

36 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

I don't know who they are or who they play for either .?

I've followed football for many many years and could tell you many facts about Beckenbauers meusli habits but I've no idea who Joe Gomez is.

Â