• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

33 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Absolutely no point in going for Big Sam, the last thing we want is a manager who will attract ye olde criticism of delivering boring football. We need someone to get the fans excited. Give us decent football and this fanbase will accept a work in progress I am certain. 

The thing with Big Sam is that you'd know at the very least, a huge amount of drills will be done on the training ground for both boxes and I could only see us improving, and I'd say this is a good squad for his kind of style.  He knows exactly what he's doing, which I don't think Bruce and Calderwood do.  God knows what they've done on the training ground since being here.  He or perhaps Pardew at a push I could accept, but I'd rather have someone like Jokanovic or the new breed of manager.

If Bruce does indeed get the sack, then it would be nice to get someone in with fresh ideas.

Yeah managers like Bruce, Allardyce, Pardew etc have all got experience in the league and have won promotions, but as we can see with Bruce this season is that The Championship seems to have evolved and moved forward and these managers haven't 

24 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

Really? Newcastle lost their first 2 games last season

I'm so tired of hearing this. It's got absolutely sod all to do with our plight. Newcastle were always going to be fine, given their manager and squad. They just needed to adapt to life in the Champioship. Plus, they weren't exactly a car crash when they went down the season before: something that cannot be said for us.

If you think that we, this bloody awful midtable, sinking club bear any relation to the Newcastle side the won the league last year with 90 pounts then crack on. But I think we are much more 'Blackburn' than 'Newcastle' and I am genuinely worried for the season ahead.

Edited by One For The Road

6 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I don't disagree about the chairman bit, working for Mike Ashley must be a nightmare at times. Although having said that, he was interviewed on Sky yesterday and TBF, he didn't come across as a total loon and was very open about the budget Rafa had. 

That aside, RB has just spent a year battling his way out of the championship and he's back in the Prem. Even if we could afford to pay the money you're talking AND some for a couple of players on top, I can't see him stepping back down to do it all again? 

On the last point, no I'm not saying we should stick with Bruce no matter what, but I do think our choices will be limited and the likes of Howe, Benitez and Rodgers are way out of reach. Probably the bloke from Fulham too. 

If everything we have been told about budgets and FFP is true, the money is not there to spend £10m swapping the management team and then some for more players on top. I think the desperation to be rid of Bruce is getting people overly excited. It's more likely to be someone off that list. 

Absolutely Wazz.

I get where you are coming from with the compo and Rafa's battle to the Premier Lge etc.

But if he is restricted on transfers etc. then surely he will be in for a hell of a task with a bare bones squad and once injuries and suspensions kick in etc at the Toon.

What I mean is, Mike Ass'ley is pulling the wool over Rafa's eyes in a sense if you will.

I honestly think - and don't all start going daft when I say this but ironically out of the two teams we do have the better squad imo - Why didn't we win the league then and they did?

Simple. One has a manager who has won the champions league and other trophy's in various other leagues in his managerial career and promotion from this league at his first ask and one has a manager that has won **** all bar 3 promotions in his managerial career.

I doubt Rafa would need much £££ this season if he happened to be our manager as I believe we have the squad here to finish mid table in the premier league - under the right manager/coach's. Plus no compensation is due if he where to resign!

It will cost us more money if we stick with this dick we have now.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

We need to get away from tried and tested crap like Bruce. We need to go fresh and we needed this a long time ago. We tried with Lambert and Sherwood just because they failed doesnt mean we abandon the concept.

Potter from Ostersund be a brave call and he has done wonders in Sweden and Europa League this season and is a brummie though played at blues. We need to find the next Wagner, Jokanovic before we have to chase them

Do you mean graham potter? 

The names on this list & in this thread are just scary. Absolute shitehawks.

Moyes? Sherwood? Just when you think things can't get much worse. Brian Little FFs he was shit at managing Gainsborough 10 years ago

The only one in the poll that woud get us out of this division the right way would be Warnock, The majority of the rest i would be very fearful of leaving the league via the down elevator.

Allardyce would be great but i honestly think he is done with league football unless a top 6 club decided they could do with him for a few games if their seasons go completey tits up and he managed to get them to agree to stay on the following season

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Absolutely Wazz.

I get where you are coming from with the compo and Rafa's battle to the Premier Lge etc.

But if he is restricted on transfers etc. then surely he will be in for a hell of a task with a bare bones squad and once injuries and suspensions kick in etc at the Toon.

What I mean is, Mike Ass'ley is pulling the wool over Rafa's eyes in a sense if you will.

I honestly think - and don't all start going daft when I say this but ironically out of the two teams we do have the better squad imo - Why didn't we win the league then and they did?

Simple. One has a manager who has won the champions league and other trophy's in various other leagues in his managerial career and promotion from this league at his first ask and one has a manager that has won **** all bar 3 promotions in his managerial career.

I doubt Rafa would need much £££ this season if he happened to be our manager as I believe we have the squad here to finish mid table in the premier league - under the right manager/coach's. Plus no compensation is due if he where to resign!

It will cost us more money if we stick with this dick we have now.

I won't go daft about it, I totally agree that we have a better squad than the one Rafa got promoted last year. 

As much as I don't think RB is that great ( I accept he's a really good manager and all, he just doesn't float my boat), I would still happily carry his sizeable frame down from Geordieland myself if I thought we'd get him. 

Honestly though, I don't think we can afford him and I don't think he'd consider coming here. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think I am. 

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

I'm so tired of hearing this. It's got absolutely sod all to do with our plight. Newcastle were always going to be fine, given their manager and squad. They just needed to adapt to life in the Champioship. Plus, they weren't exactly a car crash when they went down the season before: something that cannot be said for us.

If you think that we, this bloody awful midtable, sinking club bear any relation to the Newcastle side the won the league last year with 90 pounts then crack on. But I think we are much more 'Blackburn' than 'Newcastle' and I am genuinely worried for the season ahead.

Agree, difference between us and Newcastle is that they were aggressive and went on the front foot, they knew they were going up.

We look like a disorganised rabble who have spent the summer doing who knows what, with a Manager who doesn't do tactics and players who are playing out of position.

Massive difference!

• Like 1

Dwight Yorke anyone? 

He will no doubt throw his hat in the ring, then play the woe is me card again when he doesn't get an interview.

2 hours ago, Hoof hearted said:

I'm not a massive fan of Bruce and can see why the daggers are out but after 2 games? Really? Newcastle lost their first 2 games last season, they won every game after until they played us (if memory serves me) 7 games later.

Edit: It was Wolves after 6 games, we were the 7th.

That's all im saying in this thread because I'm assuming it's full of posts by the anti Bruce brigade and I can read those posts on every other thread on here anyway. 

The "only 2 games" argument is patently ridiculous and has been shattered multiple times already.  Since you can only assume what's here, I assume you can't be bothered to read the opinions of others.... so, why are you here?  you do know this is a forum, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tom221186 said:

If Bruce does indeed get the sack, then it would be nice to get someone in with fresh ideas.

Yeah managers like Bruce, Allardyce, Pardew etc have all got experience in the league and have won promotions, but as we can see with Bruce this season is that The Championship seems to have evolved and moved forward and these managers haven't 

I agree Tom.

The problem we have is that the two men who will be responsible for deciding on Bruce's replacement are equally old fashioned in their football heritage. Wyness may have recently admitted that we need to play a more positive attacking style of football, and Round has talked about developing one style of play to run throughout all the age levels at Villa, but they are both still firmly rooted in the "David Moyes era". This is presumably why they went for Bruce ten months ago as a "safe" appointment, rather than going all out to buy out Wagner from his Huddersfield contract.

• Like 1

I think there is a massive difference between the managers we would like to get in and those we are capable of getting in. Sadly I don't think we are a big draw for most decent managers. 

Personally I think the chances of attracting the likes of Howe, Benitez or Jovanovic are close to zero. Big Sam, Moyes, Warnock or Pardew are more realistic. Little, Mellberg, Laursen, etc are crazy choices based on recent and relevant experience. The same could be said for the foreign names being bandied around. Maybe as a three year project one of them might be but it would be an almighty punt.

The only people who really believe that we are somehow a huge draw these days for a manager are probably posters on this forum.

Personally I'd have Big Sam and accept ugly football to win games rather than losing playing ugly football as we are now.

Overall very depressing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim said:

Dwight Yorke anyone? 

He will no doubt throw his hat in the ring, then play the woe is me card again when he doesn't get an interview.

I'd rather we got his lad Harvey in tbh. 

• Haha 1