• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

11 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Dean Smith has had such a stonking start to the season, I reckon he's a shoe-in.

Not that popular at Brentford from what I hear. I d give him 6 months in the villa job TBH.

15 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I'd like a manager that will make us press high up the pitch.

Not play a DM in every game.

Not treat every single team we face with so much respect because we are the big dick in this division its about time we acted like it.

nailed-it-gif-3.gif

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Not that popular at Brentford from what I hear. I d give him 6 months in the villa job TBH.

Guys, Brentford had a great pre-season scoring plenty of goals and drew 2-2 with Southampton. Dean's problem, even though they finished above the Villa last season, is that Brentford are a selling club. They sold us Hogan for 12 million, and now it looks like Jota is going to West Ham, and dean is off to Sheffield Wednesday. Dean (Captain last year) hasn't played yet because of all the speculation. when these guys can see their wages quadruple like Hogan's, they are going to be distracted and Brentford want the cash,. Hence not being able to play your best players.

He would do an outstanding job at the Villa, and we might actually see a goal or two.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, hippo said:

Id make Alan Pardew favourite - based on feasibility and gettability 

He's only 2nd favourite based on completecockability though. Pearson has more than an edge on him. 

Edited by wazzap24

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Brian Little is a lovely story and all, but I think that has disaster written all over it.

I'd happily have him 'overseeing' somebody like Laursen or Mellberg, but not as manager in his own right. I wouldn't want to do that to the bloke tbh. 

3 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I'd happily have him 'overseeing' somebody like Laursen or Mellberg, but not as manager in his own right. I wouldn't want to do that to the bloke tbh. 

We have people here moaning about Bruce being outdated and old fashioned, and then in the next breath wanting a manager who's only success came over 20 years ago and hasn't managed in the Football League for about a decade.

16 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I'd like a manager that will make us press high up the pitch.

Not play a DM in every game.

Not treat every single team we face with so much respect because we are the big dick in this division its about time we acted like it.

This is why i say 'Its to big a club for Bruce'.  

All his other promotions where with clubs who had lesser expectations and who weren't everyone's FA cup final every week.  He doesnt know how to play on the front foot when teams just sit and hit on break or play long balls. 

10 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Also, I don't agree with Laursen or Mellberg either. Again, a lovely story. But it rarely works out.

We can't risk sentimentality. We need a proper manager.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

We have people here moaning about Bruce being outdated and old fashioned, and then in the next breath wanting a manager who's only success came over 20 years ago and hasn't managed in the Football League for about a decade.

I totally agree, I wouldn't have him anywhere near it as the 'manager'. 

I'm only contemplating a solution involving Laursen/Mellberg, because that list of candidates make me want to violently vom. I wouldn't be against him being involved in some capacity, if it guarantees we don't get the likes Pearson, Pardew or Moyes!  

It's a desperate time and it makes people go funny in the head. The fact Sherwood's name has even appeared on this thread is evidence of that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Also, I don't agree with Laursen or Mellberg either. Again, a lovely story. But it rarely works out.

We can't risk sentimentality. We need a proper manager.

Again, don't disagree in principal, although I'd like to think it could work.  

Given all the circumstances surrounding the recruitment of a potential new manager, I'm not sure how 'proper' they are going to be? 

Who would you realistically go for, that we'd actually be able to afford and would take it? 

10 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Given all the circumstances surrounding the recruitment of a potential new manager, I'm not sure how 'proper' they are going to be? 

Who would you realistically go for, that we'd actually be able to afford and would take it? 

Not only that but we have done "proper" manager and that hasn't worked and we have done "young, up and coming" and that hasn't worked either.

lets give sentimentality a crack.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

"Would we have been worse off yesterday if O'Hare/Green/Bree had started against Cardiff?" who knows but if it had been about the same then Villa fans would be on their back and that's no good for their development, you want to bring through young players in better situations rather expecting them to get us out of this mess

"It will also be important to develop our own players given the ludicrous transfer market and FFP." only if they are good enough, so few of Villa academy have ever been good enough for first team football

"look at Burnley/Huddersfield. Both clubs have embraced a modern ethos and followed it through with great success" but Villa fans wont wait, we still live off a big history (although a very long time ago) and expect to be up there and fighting for whatever we are focusing on at that time.  The clubs you mention dont and fans are more willing to be patience, whereas of who we are we, as Villa fans on the whole, sadly wouldnt allow that much time.  Look at the fact we didnt get up last season, look at this season after 2 games we are calling for heads, we are not a fan base that waits and would wait for kids to develop over a number of seasons.  If said to villa fans that we are going to build with kids, maybe 4-5, in the first team and probably wont go up in the next few seasons there would be uproar wouldnt there.

I disagree entirely with this - if we were playing our youngsters and they looked like they were having a go, I think 99% of fans would be behind them. You say that we wont wait - if there was a clear path for improvement and a plan that we could buy into we would. 

And as for the bit in bold. Really? Please. NO ONE wants Bruce to go because of 2 games this season. It is the fact that after 36 games last season, all the pre-season games AND 2 games this season (actually 3) - Bruce does not seem to have a plan A, does not seem to know what his best team is, cannot react to changes in the game and is not able to get the players to do what he wants and by his own admission, on TV "does not know how to fix it". 

Frankly the support he has received to date has been absolutely outstanding!

• Like 4

would we be even discussing dean smith if he wasn't a villa fan? they've had a poor start and wasn't overly convinced about them last season

moyes no, just no...

trouble seems to follow pearson around

little has been out of the game too long

terry inexperienced

if we cant get the chap from fulham, i say we stick with bruce

54 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I have no idea.

I'm not even sure I don't still want Bruce.

Nobody on the list on this poll inspires me.

• Like 1