• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

The trouble is we have no identity of how we want to play. The model that Swansea and Southampton set out years ago is one villa should be aspiring too but unfortunately we lack the vision i think at boardroom level. When Swansea were going through the leagues it was put out there "we're gonna play this way and go after a manager who drives these principles".  Martinez, Sousa,  Rodgers, Laudrup. They had success and messed up but never deviated. It's only now with the new owners that have thrown out that blue print that i actually think they'll really struggle. We look like we are making it up as we go along. When it goes shite, let's throw some more money at it..No plan. No nothing. Southampton had serious people working in the background. Their scouting is ridiculous.  Signed schneiderlin for 1 million in the championship.  We get......ugh, angers me the **** clowns we have running things.

Edited by Johnnyp
mistake
  • Like 1

More I hear about the Fulham manager the better he sounds. I watched the Hull game and for the first 10/15 mins when we went on the front foot we were attacking down the wings with Elmo and Gabby. It's the best we've played in all three games and as soon as we scored we tightened up and lost our edge. I don't see why we could not play Jonkovic's way, think we are probably a left midfielder away from having the balance to do so, Gabby is not the answer in that role

Edited by honest_bertie
  • Like 1

enough with the huff and puff managers. Villa has always been a club that has flourished with an ambitious sod in charge. For all their humble demeanor Sir Ron and Sir Graham were ambitious buggers, so too Big Ron, Sir Brian and Gregory and the poisoned leprechaun was ambitious as hell. Houllier was a man in decline (sadly as I think a fit Houllier would have been a great asset), whilst McUsless, Lambert and Garde and Fistface are/were grateful for the job without realising the size of the club, and the spiv was just delusional.

A manager with ambition next thank you.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

That's one way of looking at it. 

Another way of looking at it is if you do fail, it is easy to spin it that you were working at a basketcase club and sure what else could be done under the circumstances. 

If you are young enough, if it is your only blemish and if you have the stones to take another big job, it doesn't have to effectively end your career. 

Conversely- if it is your only major blemish to date but you have shown such ineptitude/ naivety on the job so as to not even be considered for other similar posts - that's on you. 

Don't get me wrong there will be managers willing to take it, but I'm not sure they are all swimming in the same pond as some of the names being banded about. 

Not necessarily going to be relevant to a prospective manager, but I was thinking about our post O'Neil managerial record. If you were an outsider looking in, you could view it like this. 

We gave one manager a heart attack, one was nearly run out of town before he started, one aged three decades in under three years, one got the sack 6 months after saving us from relegation and getting us to a cup final, one was hung out to dry and not even given a budget, another sacked before half term after losing only 4 league games and we may potentially sack another before we get to double figures in terms of games played. Tough gig. 

25 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Don't get me wrong there will be managers willing to take it, but I'm not sure they are all swimming in the same pond as some of the names being banded about. 

Not necessarily going to be relevant to a prospective manager, but I was thinking about our post O'Neil managerial record. If you were an outsider looking in, you could view it like this. 

We gave one manager a heart attack, one was nearly run out of town before he started, one aged three decades in under three years, one got the sack 6 months after saving us from relegation and getting us to a cup final, one was hung out to dry and not even given a budget, another sacked before half term after losing only 4 league games and we may potentially sack another before we get to double figures in terms of games played. Tough gig. 

And all of them given enough of a pay off to retire..... Ka Ching!

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think we need Proven at this level now, no more unknowns.

Have we not been through enough of pray and hope = disaster, in the last 5 years?

We've had that with Bruce. 

His style of play doesn't even look up to it at this level anymore, nevermind push us on should we somehow crack promotion. 

And it's not as if Jokanovic is an unknown quantity in this league.  We are talking about a very recent record of success with two different clubs. 

Jokanovic's style of play seems more sustainable, at least.  His sides seem capable of doing weird things like creating plenty of chances and winning enough games to give is a chance in this division. 

I think If Bruce was sacked/resigned

The crucial things needed in the next manager would be -

The ability to get some of the current players performing, basically no need for another transition, we need some stability

And we could possibly do with someone who has the attitude of 'You're lucky to have me, I'm not overwhelmed' mentality with it being genuine and justified, not delusional.

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

enough with the huff and puff managers. Villa has always been a club that has flourished with an ambitious sod in charge. For all their humble demeanor Sir Ron and Sir Graham were ambitious buggers, so too Big Ron, Sir Brian and Gregory and the poisoned leprechaun was ambitious as hell. Houllier was a man in decline (sadly as I think a fit Houllier would have been a great asset), whilst McUsless, Lambert and Garde and Fistface are/were grateful for the job without realising the size of the club, and the spiv was just delusional.

A manager with ambition next thank you.

I couldn't agree with this post more and the poisoned leprechaun made me chuckle. 

10 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Integrating youngsters should be one of the club's long term objectives regardless.  I am not necessarily saying start eleven youth team players week in & out, but say about 2-4 to give us better balance and allow them to develop. Would we have been worse off yesterday if O'Hare/Green/Bree had started against Cardiff? Personally, I don't.  Open and attacking football will have the fans back at VP, even Sherwood managed to achieve that for a short period of time. We have a squad of players capable of scoring and creating, we now need a system.

It will also be important to develop our own players given the ludicrous transfer market and FFP.  Besides we have spent big money on in-coming transfers, which has left us looking more and more disjointed but overly reliant on a select few performers (Jedinak/Kodjia). And not to mention, unsuccessful (so far).

I personally think spending big is having less impact on constructing teams, look at Burnley/Huddersfield. Both clubs have embraced a modern ethos and followed it through with great success. We desperately need to get the buzz back at Villa, with Bruce or not. 

"Would we have been worse off yesterday if O'Hare/Green/Bree had started against Cardiff?" who knows but if it had been about the same then Villa fans would be on their back and that's no good for their development, you want to bring through young players in better situations rather expecting them to get us out of this mess

"It will also be important to develop our own players given the ludicrous transfer market and FFP." only if they are good enough, so few of Villa academy have ever been good enough for first team football

"look at Burnley/Huddersfield. Both clubs have embraced a modern ethos and followed it through with great success" but Villa fans wont wait, we still live off a big history (although a very long time ago) and expect to be up there and fighting for whatever we are focusing on at that time.  The clubs you mention dont and fans are more willing to be patience, whereas of who we are we, as Villa fans on the whole, sadly wouldnt allow that much time.  Look at the fact we didnt get up last season, look at this season after 2 games we are calling for heads, we are not a fan base that waits and would wait for kids to develop over a number of seasons.  If said to villa fans that we are going to build with kids, maybe 4-5, in the first team and probably wont go up in the next few seasons there would be uproar wouldnt there.

5 hours ago, HolteExile said:

Well he is solely responsible for the emergence of Harry Kane (according to Timbo himself, that is):

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/tim-sherwood-seems-to-have-taken-credit-for-the-rise-of-harry-kane-137799

Wasn't he a youth coach or have I misremembered that? If so then he probably can claim Kane. Say what you like about Sherwood but he does believe in giving youth a chance.

8 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

When we've done that, let's then work out how we pay off Bruce and his staff, pay the compensation to get him, then the £5m in wages and the money for his backroom team? Oh and he's not happy up there because he's got no dough to spend :crylaugh:

Question.

Out of the 2 chairmen..

Who is likely to fill you with promises of which it turns out to be bullshit.

Clue for ya... It ain't ours!

And if that is the case of what you say in terms of compo then we stick with Bruce then do we on the basis we cannot afford to pay him off nor recruit anyone else then??

Edited by AvfcRigo82

6 hours ago, HolteExile said:

We've had that with Bruce. 

His style of play doesn't even look up to it at this level anymore, nevermind push us on should we somehow crack promotion. 

And it's not as if Jokanovic is an unknown quantity in this league.  We are talking about a very recent record of success with two different clubs. 

Jokanovic's style of play seems more sustainable, at least.  His sides seem capable of doing weird things like creating plenty of chances and winning enough games to give is a chance in this division. 

We have had nothing but shit with Bruce.

This was the biggest challenge of his career and he **** it.

As for success rates.. Bruce got more teams out this lge so I don't see how  Jokanovic would be any better imo.

Expectancy is a lot lower at Fulham than it is here.

When he wants to sign players like Cameron Jerome it is a worry straight away!

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Moyes allegedly turned us down a couple of times when he still had some kudos. Now he's been shown up as a loser we should not even be acknowledging his status as a football manager. 

• Like 1

Ange Postecoglou

Left field but I almost guarantee he would do the job. Plays passing football and doesn't take any crap. 

I'm not saying we'd go for him and I'm not saying he'd leave his national post. 

I'd hire him though. 

• Like 1