• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

If this has taught me one thing, it's to ignore the sentence "... would be a huge risk". I'm not specifically talking about names mooted in this thread, but the idea in general. 

When we got Bruce in he was, arguably, the polar opposite to a "huge risk". A safe pair of hands with a large number of promotions and bags of experience. It hasn't paid off. 

Now I can't see a huge risk anywhere, I see risks everywhere. Who had as much experience and as many promotions as our incumbent? No one. So by that metric, surely anyone is now a risk from Pardew to Yorke, they could be a success or a failure. 

With parachute payments and FFP, the time to try a safe pair of hands has gone by 12 months ago and now we are in an unfortunate position of stick or twist. If we're to take a punt in a young, attack minded manager, I'd say now might be the time. 

I don't know who that is, but I'd quite like to enjoy games. We went for Bruce in the hope that we nick a couple of games.. Grind out results. It hasn't worked and it's dull. I want to see us play some exciting football and turn teams over, something we haven't done in far too long. 

Remi Garde? :ph34r:

4 hours ago, hippo said:

Lots of reasons - mostly because we would be back here looking for another manager come Feb. 

You're probably right but the safe bet hasn't worked out has it? So bored of The Bruce's, Big Sam's, Moyes's options, quite up for an unknown risk. 

• Like 1

What we really need is a manager who can have a good honeymoon period, then be part of buying players, take credit, then be caught out for being tactically inept start crying and destroy the morale of the club, then deny buying players he had 'always watched'.

I just can't think of any. I'll check twitter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam3773 said:

If this has taught me one thing, it's to ignore the sentence "... would be a huge risk". I'm not specifically talking about names mooted in this thread, but the idea in general. 

When we got Bruce in he was, arguably, the polar opposite to a "huge risk". A safe pair of hands with a large number of promotions and bags of experience. It hasn't paid off. 

Now I can't see a huge risk anywhere, I see risks everywhere. Who had as much experience and as many promotions as our incumbent? No one. So by that metric, surely anyone is now a risk from Pardew to Yorke, they could be a success or a failure. 

With parachute payments and FFP, the time to try a safe pair of hands has gone by 12 months ago and now we are in an unfortunate position of stick or twist. If we're to take a punt in a young, attack minded manager, I'd say now might be the time. 

I don't know who that is, but I'd quite like to enjoy games. We went for Bruce in the hope that we nick a couple of games.. Grind out results. It hasn't worked and it's dull. I want to see us play some exciting football and turn teams over, something we haven't done in far too long. 

Remi Garde? :ph34r:

I mentioned earlier that I'd take Garde back and give him a crack with a better hand. You could at least see he was trying to achieve some sort of style and quickly gave up when he realised his task was impossible (which it was).

He already knows the club so it wouldn't be like starting from scratch. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

The "only 2 games" argument is patently ridiculous and has been shattered multiple times already.  Since you can only assume what's here, I assume you can't be bothered to read the opinions of others.... so, why are you here?  you do know this is a forum, right?

Yes it's a forum and I'm within my right to not lose my shit after 2 games, this thread has far too much nagitivity for my liking, crack on though.

I think the issue is it's not just two games it's just a continuation from the latter part of last season and the real lack of any meaningful progress added to the imperritive notion that it's this season or bust to go up.

24 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

Yes it's a forum and I'm within my right to not lose my shit after 2 games, this thread has far too much nagitivity for my liking, crack on though.

Yes you are. Just as people are entitled to point out it's cobblers to say the above re 2 games. And just as they are entitled to post about their views and frustrations.

If you don't agree, great let's hear why or don't read it, either way is fine. Just don't sit in judgement on those who do and make up nonesense like tha above about 2 games in an attempt to belittle those views and make them look premature.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Surprised this post hasn't attracted more comment. It seems to sum up our predicament perfectly. Until we get a proper strategy at the top of the club, we will continue just stumbling from manager to manager, squad change to squad change, and failure to failure. Certainly none of the managers on that depressing list at the start of the thread will, working alone, have the personal power or ability to get us out of current our long-term mess/malaise.

Exactly.  Even though i admire the style say dean smith has adapted at brentford and the way they play there is a lot more to how brentford are progressing than just smith. He works with 2 directors of football, they are massive on analytics because they have to do things differently, have an excellent European scouting network...don't have the financial clout of a villa or boro. So take smith out of brentford and give him the villa job and he'll deliver right ? Wrong.  He's working with a brilliant board and backroom team at brentford.  It doesn't look like round or wyness are fit for purpose. Round basically went away to do a **** course and landed a job of this significance. What villa need is an absolute ruthless, cold bastard like cortese..Puts things in place. Gets things done.  Makes progress. He's absolutely ruthless.

If Bruce goes I think it will be Moyes. Available and with too many contacts already at the club. I'm not sure he is the busted flush most think he is but still not my ideal choice.

Sam Allerdyce is by no means my pick, nor is he available apparently.

But I think it's a mistake to bracket him together with Moyes, Bruce, Pardew, as if they are all the same and all at the same stage of their careers.

We ought not make the mistake of veering wildly from extreme to extreme. RDM was too open so get Bruce. He is too cautious and defensive so get someone who attacks etc.

Both Pardew and certainly Big Fat Sam ave proven to be Managers who can get success in the short term, so, whilst they wouldn't be my choices, I don't see it as a disaster if they are chosen.

Whoever it is needs to be has to be available for starters, and whilst I hope we try and tempt a couple away from jobs, we aren't the draw some seem to think.

If, as most of us think, we have a good squad, pretty much any half decent Manager should manage it.

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Sam Allerdyce is by no means my pick, nor is he available apparently.

But I think it's a mistake to bracket him together with Moyes, Bruce, Pardew, as if they are all the same and all at the same stage of their careers.

We ought not make the mistake of veering wildly from extreme to extreme. RDM was too open so get Bruce. He is too cautious and defensive so get someone who attacks etc.

Both Pardew and certainly Big Fat Sam ave proven to be Managers who can get success in the short term, so, whilst they wouldn't be my choices, I don't see it as a disaster if they are chosen.

Whoever it is needs to be has to be available for starters, and whilst I hope we try and tempt a couple away from jobs, we aren't the draw some seem to think.

If, as most of us think, we have a good squad, pretty much any half decent Manager should manage it.

To be fair, Sam is older, but he was actually one of the first to push for innovation and technology when it comes to football, and players.

I used to watch his Bolton teams mostly because of Ricardo Gardener at first.

So even if he is a "Dinosaur", he is more of an evolved one. lol

I've never disliked him, but never necessarily wanted him as manager either, such is our fall from Grace though, he might almost be a coup at this point. smh

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

All this talk of dinosaurs you'd think we'd be out hunting with Turok. F*** age, I just want someone who can do the damn job. Old or new school, idgaf so long as we finally start getting results.

• Like 1